RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

szuting

Apr 24, 2010, 3:44 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4511 views)
Shortcut

Dirtbag Taiwan - Long Dong Climbing & Cultural Experience
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am a native of Taiwan and just launched my adventure travel business, LittlePo Adventures. I will run the kick-off trip in Taiwan, 8/16-30, at this premier sea-cliff climbing area Long Dong (aka Dragon Cave in Chinese). here is some info of the trip:

Dirtbag Taiwan - Long Dong Climbing & Cultural Experience
August 16-30, 2010. Promotional Rate: $1,550.00

Overview

Dirtbag Taiwan is designed for budget climbers who long for an international climbing vacation. The climbing area Long Dong (aka Dragon Cave in Chinese) offers over 500 sea-cliff sport and traditional routes on hard sandstone. Routes are rated from 5.4-5.13, suitable for climbers of all abilities. Taiwan is well-known for its beautiful scenery, astonishing landscape, worldly culture, friendly atmosphere, and delicious food. After a hard day of climbing accompanied by splendid sunshine and ocean breezes, climbers relax their muscles in natural hot springs, and enjoy mouth-watering food in night markets of distinct characteristics. Rest day activities include a tour of the capital city, Taipei, and a visit to the National Palace Museum, where people witness Chinese history via stunning artifacts dating back to 1400 B.C. “Your Friend. Your Guide.” is the philosophy of LittlePo Adventures who delivers relationship-based adventures in Taiwan and China. Dirtbag Taiwan is guided and facilitated by a bilingual and professional outdoor educator, who is also a native of Taiwan.

For more details and download the brochure:
http://www.littlepo.com/...littlepo-adventures/

ClimbClimb

Apr 25, 2010, 5:25 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [szuting] Dirtbag Taiwan - Long Dong Climbing & Cultural Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What's the weather like there in August, is it really hot?

szuting

Apr 25, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Dirtbag Taiwan - Long Dong Climbing & Cultural Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in August, it is quite hot in Taiwan in general. However, the climbing area Long Dong is a sea-cliff climbing area so it's much cooler than other places in Taiwan. Breezes are often and there are climbs in the shade and many sea water pools to dip in, swimming is also quite accessible. Summer is the best season to climb there, because the rain season at that place is very long. summer is dry.

You can read another article on my blog, there is a little bit of information about the weather @ the 6th paragraph:

http://www.littlepo.com/2010/04/21/taiwan-rock-climbs-long-dong-where-the-dragon-resides/

solorin

Apr 27, 2010, 5:45 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Dirtbag Taiwan - Long Dong Climbing & Cultural Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

August in LD is still very hot and humid. It's not advisable to climb in the direct sun. Certain areas are best during certain times of the day. Last August, I rested in a one metre high crawlspace in the full shade and still sweated approximately a litre/hr.

Early autumn is actually the driest time of the year here and the best time to climb at LD, since the edge has been taken off the temperature. Although the weather is unpredictable and often wet, a small core of dedicated climbers climbs here year round.

The swimming is excellent. We share the crags with a large community of scuba divers and rock fisherman.

As long as you bring a positive attitude and respect the local ecology and people, I cannot say enough to recommend climbing here. The experience is priceless.

Welcome world to our small piece of bliss and solace, our home crag.

szuting

May 4, 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes August in Taiwan is hot. I am not going to deny it. In Sep and early Oct the average temperature is about the same as that in August; however the chance of precipitation is much higher. The area we will be climbing will be right next to the coast, where the average temperature is a bit lower, like 3-6 Celsius lower and there will be winds. It'll still hot, so I don't plan to climb at noon or stay in direct sunlight for too long. Basically early in the morning and later in the afternoon will be the climbing time. We'll swim in the ocean, dip in the swimming pool during the hottest time of the day and go do some cultural activities at night, such as night markets, evening hikes, snacks tour, sky lantern, yangming mountain hot springs & taipei night view etc.

This trip is ideal for climbers who are excited about climbing at a cool international spot and and want to explore as much as possible the local scene and cultures.

guangzhou

May 5, 2010, 8:42 AM
Post #6 of 6 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [szuting] Dirtbag Taiwan - Long Dong Climbing & Cultural Experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed at LD and the climbing there is truly fantastic. My partenr and I only had a week, but we sampled a wide variety of climbs. Excellent rock, bolts were good, and the trad excellent. Location was breathtaking too.

What I don;t understand is why someone would travel all the way to TW and pay $ for $1500 for this. The area is easy to find, easy to access, and an excellent climber's guide is written in English.

Little Pro, generally, climber traveling the globe to climb don't hire guide services. They tend to go out and have a good time on their own.

If this were a cultural get together or climbing party, you might get people, but in this case, you're offering a tour of the crags where people have to meet your schedule. A good idea, but hard to market for Intentional scene. Would make a nice local outing for a TW climbing club.

Personally, I rather go on my own with my partner and do my own thing instead of following some companies agenda. I don't think this is going to be a popular trip for your service to run. As a former guide, I would recommend you reconsider this strategy. As a western climber based in Asia, I applaud you for trying to get the region on the map. So much here.

With all that said, I do think your idea of helping foreigners, especially climbers travel around Asia/China is excellent. If you want, PM me and I'll help you out a bit. Looks like we've climbed some of the same places.

Looks very familiar.Smile

Yunnan?

(This post was edited by guangzhou on May 5, 2010, 8:56 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook