Neither- I care about nothing, Lebowski! 6 / 17%
35 total votes

irregularpanda

Jun 5, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #1 of 29 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Access fund or AAC membership.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are you a member with the Access Fund, the American Alpine Club, or Both?

Why?

edited to add: I'm a member of the AAC, but will consider joining the access fund when I get paid a living wage....

(This post was edited by irregularpanda on Jun 5, 2010, 10:32 PM)

hacksaw

Jun 5, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #2 of 29 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Access fund or AAC membership. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There is more about being a AAC member then just the insurance. There is easy access to the AAC library, getting the AAJ, getting the Accidents journal, contacts and networking with other members, expedition/climbing grants, supporting the Climbers Ranch in Wyo, representing the American climbing community on a international and national level, etc...

shrug7

Jun 5, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 29 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AAC - The insurance and the library. (plus the AAJ)

Access Fund - some of the private land owners around get money from them to help maintain their property for climbing. Plus trying to help re-open my favorite crag in Soill. And one day i'm hoping it'll happen.

irregularpanda

Jun 5, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #4 of 29 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hacksaw] Access fund or AAC membership. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hacksaw wrote:
There is more about being a AAC member then just the insurance. There is easy access to the AAC library, getting the AAJ, getting the Accidents journal, contacts and networking with other members, expedition/climbing grants, supporting the Climbers Ranch in Wyo, representing the American climbing community on a international and national level, etc...

I know, but the rescue services offered by Global Rescue are the real plumb. Sadly, my gripe with it is that you need to contact global rescue first in any given rescue scenario.

Imagine you need a rescue in yosemite or the gunks. Calling yosar or 911 would be the fastest way to get rescued, given the amount of local knowledge of those teams. But if I'm not mis-informed, calling global rescue means that they have to either lead the rescue. A couple years back AAC membership used to be strictly rescue insurance. I'd rather have it that way, I think.

Gmburns2000

Jun 5, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #5 of 29 (1986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neither, but I should be a member of the Access Fund because I like the work they do.

My charitable contributions tend to be very local and food / education-based (farms and scholarships, etc).

One of these days I'll get around to donating to what I consider to be non-essential-type organizations. I'm just not there right now.

I've considered the AAC membership for the insurance since I'm heading to a country where there is a lot of back-country rock, but I'm in the early stages of figuring all that out.

Gmburns2000

Jun 5, 2010, 9:10 PM
Post #6 of 29 (1978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
hacksaw wrote:

I know, but the rescue services offered by Global Rescue are the real plumb. Sadly, my gripe with it is that you need to contact global rescue first in any given rescue scenario.

Imagine you need a rescue in yosemite or the gunks. Calling yosar or 911 would be the fastest way to get rescued, given the amount of local knowledge of those teams. But if I'm not mis-informed, calling global rescue means that they have to either lead the rescue. A couple years back AAC membership used to be strictly rescue insurance. I'd rather have it that way, I think.

actually, the website says to call 911 first and then GR during the rescue if in the US. Not sure that changes your point at all, but I wanted to point it out.

also, as an aside, GR is the second organization I surprised to discover is a Boston-based organization. Farm Aid is the other. Seriously, mountains, farms, and Boston? Crazy

irregularpanda

Jun 5, 2010, 9:25 PM
Post #7 of 29 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Access fund or AAC membership. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
actually, the website says to call 911 first and then GR during the rescue if in the US. Not sure that changes your point at all, but I wanted to point it out.

Odd, that contradicts my membership material and the instructions on my Global Rescue card. I wonder if you could still get reimbursement for a rescue if you did either?

By the way, if you;re thinking of joining before your trip....if you're 28 or under a junior membership costs less. And access to the library would mean that you could pre-order plenty of guidebooks (they have a PLETHORA) and xerox them before your trip. I'm just sayin.

I really should endorse the Access Club, there are several crags that they have helped to restore/advocate for/bought that are some of my favorites. All climbers benefit from this sort of stewardship.

Gmburns2000

Jun 5, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #8 of 29 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Odd, that contradicts my membership material and the instructions on my Global Rescue card. I wonder if you could still get reimbursement for a rescue if you did either?

might be worth bringing that to their attention and getting a final verdict.

In reply to:
By the way, if you;re thinking of joining before your trip....if you're 28 or under a junior membership costs less. And access to the library would mean that you could pre-order plenty of guidebooks (they have a PLETHORA) and xerox them before your trip. I'm just sayin.

unfortunately, I am a few years too old for the junior membership and I don't think there are any guidebooks for Chile, but I will check into what the AAC has. Thanks...

edited to say: at least for areas not in Patagonia

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Jun 5, 2010, 9:31 PM)

vegastradguy

Jun 5, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #9 of 29 (1951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

if you climb, you should be a member of the access fund. something like 2-5% of climbers are, and they do work to keep access for climbers at small and big crags across the country (the access fund is spending a ton of money in nevada right now trying to help with the wilderness mgmt plan at Red Rock and to keep climbing from being banned altogether @ Christmas Tree Pass), not to mention raise money to buy crags for climbers.

seriously, become a member- its the least you can do to give back to a sport you love.

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #10 of 29 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Access fund or AAC membership. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure how it happened, because i don't have much of a personal history of activism, but I'm a member of the AAC, I try to help the AF whenever I can by writing articles, and I serve on the board of my local access org, which is one the most amazing bunches of people I know. They really get it done.

Thank you for reminding me, though. I've been worse than broke the last year plus, but things are looking a little brighter now. Soon, I ought to be able to also buy membership in the AF and the CCC, which is my prior local access org.

vegastradguy wrote:
if you climb, you should be a member of the access fund. something like 2-5% of climbers are...

A shameful number, IMO, but there are other ways to give, if somebody doesn't have the money to spend. Jump in on an Adopt-a-Crag day, go to a rendezvous, or just write a quick email note when the call goes out for public comments on climbing-access issues. Do it. Doooooo eeeeeet...

rockon1

Jun 6, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #11 of 29 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah! You might be surprised at what you can find at the AAC Library on climbing in Chile and if you are an AAC member, they will mail you books to take on your trip or other materials you request. I think this is probably one of the better services of the AAC on top of rescue. I know a friend who put up a new route down there and donated his hand drawn maps and routes from his trip. It may not be a nice shiny guidebook, but it is information about climbing in that area that you can't find anywhere else. That is just one example.

Also, I don't think this is a one or the other type of conversation...both organizations help all climbers continue doing what they love...climbing....speaking of...

Gmburns2000

Jun 6, 2010, 5:13 PM
Post #12 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockon1] Access fund or AAC membership. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockon1 wrote:
Yeah! You might be surprised at what you can find at the AAC Library on climbing in Chile and if you are an AAC member, they will mail you books to take on your trip or other materials you request. I think this is probably one of the better services of the AAC on top of rescue. I know a friend who put up a new route down there and donated his hand drawn maps and routes from his trip. It may not be a nice shiny guidebook, but it is information about climbing in that area that you can't find anywhere else. That is just one example.

Also, I don't think this is a one or the other type of conversation...both organizations help all climbers continue doing what they love...climbing....speaking of...

That's interesting to know, actually, because I did a search for books on Chile in their database and didn't come up with much regarding guidebook-type material other than what exists in Torres del Paine and Patagonia in general.

Any idea how he or the AAC labelled it? I'm not great at finding key words such as this, so I'm wondering how I could find such materials for, say, Cajon de Maipo or Valle de Cochamo (both of which I've searched and found nothing on their site).

And I know this may sound lazy, but if people simply ask, "do you have anything for central Chile?" and someone at the AAC finds it then, well, that sounds right up my alley. Tongue

irregularpanda

Jun 6, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #13 of 29 (1843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
so I'm wondering how I could find such materials for, say, Cajon de Maipo or Valle de Cochamo

Dude, that is gonna rock! Did you hear about that in Alpinist also? That place looks amazing. Bring a camera, extra rain gear, and maybe an extra 2 months.

irregularpanda

Jun 6, 2010, 6:16 PM
Post #14 of 29 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockon1 wrote:

For me it's more just a conversation of who belongs to which organization, and why. I spend time on alpine routes, so the AAC fits well for helping me to plan trips and of course the rescue insurance.

I find it interesting to know why people join one or the other. I agree that they both perform essential services for climbers, especially the advocacy.

Gmburns2000

Jun 6, 2010, 8:12 PM
Post #15 of 29 (1817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
so I'm wondering how I could find such materials for, say, Cajon de Maipo or Valle de Cochamo

Dude, that is gonna rock! Did you hear about that in Alpinist also? That place looks amazing. Bring a camera, extra rain gear, and maybe an extra 2 months.

[apology for the thread drift]

No, I learned of both places by sheer google searches. Cajon de Maipo seems, to me, to be merely a very pretty canyon SE of Santiago. It gets a lot of foot traffic because it is so close to the city, but Cochamo, holy cow - THAT PLACE LOOKS AWESOME!

It was described to me as the South American Yosemite, with a half-dozen or so big walls separated by the Rio Cochamo, EXCEPT one can't drive there. It's a four-hour hike (you can hire mules to haul your stuff if you're staying a really long time, which is recommended due to the rain) and, if you're not camping at the refuge, camping is free. Fuck man, I can't wait.Cool

[/apology]

irregularpanda

Jun 6, 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #16 of 29 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

No, I learned of both places by sheer google searches. Cajon de Maipo seems, to me, to be merely a very pretty canyon SE of Santiago. It gets a lot of foot traffic because it is so close to the city, but Cochamo, holy cow - THAT PLACE LOOKS AWESOME!

............ Fuck man, I can't wait.Cool

[/apology]

I don't care about thread drift. Dude, that place does look really awesome. Check out alpinist # 23 (i think) as it has a full "mountain profile" on the valley. It has some routes and history, but it's more of an inspiring collection of stories, photos, and inspiration.

Check out this little guy too. http://www.alpinist.com/...cochamo-waddy-forest

Gmburns2000

Jun 7, 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #17 of 29 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

............ Fuck man, I can't wait.Cool

[/apology]

I don't care about thread drift. Dude, that place does look really awesome. Check out alpinist # 23 (i think) as it has a full "mountain profile" on the valley. It has some routes and history, but it's more of an inspiring collection of stories, photos, and inspiration.

Check out this little guy too. http://www.alpinist.com/...cochamo-waddy-forest

thanks for sharing that. I'll check out #23. I've been wanting to find someone to spend a couple of months in that valley with at some point. still, a lot of planning is required (even though that refuge is now supposedly quite nice, serving pizza and with hot showers and internet via satelite).

I've also heard that access is MUCH easier now than it was 10 years ago.

I can't wait to hit those waterslides.

this is a decent site, too: http://www.cochamo.com/cochamo/

guangzhou

Jun 7, 2010, 1:19 AM
Post #18 of 29 (1748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I belong to both.

The access fund does help keep areas open. Even the small ones. I believed in what they do enough to be the regional coordinator when i was living int he states.

The AAC I joined in the early 90s and have been a member ever since. I love the library, the Annual about big climbs around the world, and access tot he library. Another great organization with a nice Global view. The insurance is nice bonus too.

climbingtrash

Jun 7, 2010, 2:50 AM
Post #19 of 29 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I donate the monthly minimum to the Access Fund but I did make some larger contributions when they were trying to secure the easement to Castleton tower. Glad that deal paned out. I thank gawd we have the Access Fund because I think a lot of cliffs would be shut down by now without someone there to stand up for climbers.

irregularpanda

Jun 7, 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #20 of 29 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] Access fund or AAC membership. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump for statistical significance.

irregularpanda

Jun 8, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #21 of 29 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bumpity bump bump......want more votes.

kennoyce

Jun 8, 2010, 7:49 PM
Post #22 of 29 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted access fund even though I'm not a member of either. I do care, but I haven't had the funding to join yet. I just got a new job that I will be starting in a week and a half which will hopefully allow me to join.

The reason I choose the AF is because climbing areas are constantly being threatened and someone needs to be there to fight for us. I think they do a great job at this.

gmggg

Jun 8, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #23 of 29 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a member of both. And so should you be (whoeverso reads this) as long as you can afford it.

thelibrarian

Jun 8, 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #24 of 29 (1551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AAC Librarian Beth here: Not to hijack the great conversation, but FYI - that notebook is from Clayton Laramie. I was just on the phone with him and he gave us permission to scan it and make it available online, so it is in process now! I'll post it on the AAC Library blog when it's done: http://aaclibrary.wordpress.com

It's great that people give us this sort of thing for the archives, and we are hoping to collect more!

Clayton also mentioned that you should check out Daniel's Refugio and there's a facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/refugiocochamo

Beth

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2010, 3:01 AM
Post #25 of 29 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AF member here-- complete with a car sticker and all Tongue.

They have REALLY helped the RRG just recently.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook