RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

scoutallison

Jun 4, 2010, 9:38 PM
Post #1 of 5 (720 views)
Shortcut

Thailand or Rio Climbinbing Late June-Early August
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning to leave on a 6weekish climbing trip to either Thailand or Rio in the next couple of weeks - sport climbing, have sport rack with me, lead low 5.10s, TR 5.10s/5.11s - looking for partners - anyone free?

steinmethod

Jun 5, 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #2 of 5 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scoutallison] Thailand or Rio Climbinbing Late June-Early August [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a heads up. I just left Thailand May 28, and it is not the best time to climb there. It is extremly hot and humid (40degrees+) and it is starting to enter the rainy season... If you don't mind that then your good.

You should meet people around the "freedom bar" to climb with.

Enjoy your trip.

scoutallison

Jun 6, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #3 of 5 (692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steinmethod] Thailand or Rio Climbinbing Late June-Early August [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the response - I was there in May a couple years ago as well and people had told me that April/May was actually worse than the rainy season it self as weather is more unpredictable/rainy season can actually be fine - any thoughts on this? (i had originally ruled out thailand re: rainy season but had a few people tell me differently.... so any thoughts greatly appreciated!)

fool

Jun 6, 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #4 of 5 (685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scoutallison] Thailand or Rio Climbinbing Late June-Early August [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting to hear. I'm thinking about climbing in Thailand next year but I'm unsure what time of the year is best. It looks like it might be the northern hemisphere's winter, so probably Dec-Feb for climbing and beach going in Thailand? Is that about right?

I'm trying to get an idea of the weather too so I thought I would ask here. Thanks!

steinmethod

Jun 7, 2010, 7:10 AM
Post #5 of 5 (677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I got there in May 2010, I was told the rainy/wet season was just starting. During the month I was there, we had a few storms and only a few days where it rained during the day. The heat and humidity was getting worse, not better. It is possible to climb when it rains or after it rains but I found it difficult with the very humid weather.

I think the best time to go is around January.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook