RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

skydylan

Dec 1, 2010, 5:18 AM
Post #1 of 19 (2749 views)
Shortcut

partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know its not the season to climb Potrero, but its cheep to live there and climb. I am from Quebec, Canada, and have a full month vacation to climb mid March to mid April, 2011. I am looking for a partner to climb with. I could lead up to 5/10d.

I also heard Cuba is a nice place to climb, but are both Mexico and Cuba too hot to climb in March/April?

I just want to do some serious climbing with an easy going person and have some fun.

Maybe even climb in the States, but I will not have a car nor loads of cash. Anyways, I hope this thread is fruitful and get to meet some great folk. any advise for finding partners versus nice places to climb March/April would be nice.
Thanks
Dylan d_heffern@yahoo.ca

steinmethod

Dec 2, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #2 of 19 (2734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skydylan] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can consider going to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. April is a good time to climb there!!

Raiden

Dec 2, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #3 of 19 (2731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steinmethod] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

steinmethod wrote:
You can consider going to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. April is a good time to climb there!!

+1. Sometimes rainy but usually very good weather. Same thing for the new river gorge. Not sure about the new, but the red is cheap to stay at.

steinmethod

Dec 2, 2010, 1:15 AM
Post #4 of 19 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Raiden] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raiden wrote:
steinmethod wrote:

+1. Sometimes rainy but usually very good weather. Same thing for the new river gorge. Not sure about the new, but the red is cheap to stay at.

$2 a night for camping and there are lots of places to climb @ the red if it's raining.

I highly recommend it!

(This post was edited by steinmethod on Dec 2, 2010, 1:15 AM)

guangzhou

Dec 2, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #5 of 19 (2723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skydylan] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skydylan wrote:
I know its not the season to climb Potrero, but its cheep to live there and climb. I am from Quebec, Canada, and have a full month vacation to climb mid March to mid April, 2011. I am looking for a partner to climb with. I could lead up to 5/10d.

I also heard Cuba is a nice place to climb, but are both Mexico and Cuba too hot to climb in March/April?

I just want to do some serious climbing with an easy going person and have some fun.

Maybe even climb in the States, but I will not have a car nor loads of cash. Anyways, I hope this thread is fruitful and get to meet some great folk. any advise for finding partners versus nice places to climb March/April would be nice.
Thanks
Dylan d_heffern@yahoo.ca

Both Cuba and Mexico seem more appealing to me. I'm guessing you could be in a hotel for the price of camping if you ventured to Cuba. The culture alone makes it appealing.

Raiden

Dec 2, 2010, 5:25 AM
Post #6 of 19 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Both Cuba and Mexico seem more appealing to me. I'm guessing you could be in a hotel for the price of camping if you ventured to Cuba. The culture alone makes it appealing.

You could be in a hotel for $2 a night? I can't imagine that.

I too would recommend the red highly - if you're leading up to hard 10s you will have plenty of stellar routes to climb and it's really nice at that time of year.

potreroed

Dec 2, 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

El Potrero Chico is great mid-March to mid-April. Don't know where you got the impression that it would be too hot. In fact, July and August are great down here also. The temps do not generally go extreme like say Arizona or Nevada, and because of the way the walls are oriented there is always something in the shade.

skydylan

Dec 3, 2010, 1:42 AM
Post #8 of 19 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steinmethod] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info on cheap camping and good climbing....Is the camping close to the wall? how about finding a partner? I am traveling solo, it would be a pity if there was no one around to climb with. Is it customary to find people to climb with around this camping for 2$. I'm kind of new to the whole traveling alone thing, and trying to do some serious climbing for a whole month(mid March to mid April). Any info about finding partners would be great....

thanks, Dylan

steinmethod

Dec 3, 2010, 1:44 AM
Post #9 of 19 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Search the web and forums about "miguels pizza" in slade Kentucky. You will have no problem finding climbing partners and all the crags are short. check out the red river web site.

Orion3001

Dec 5, 2010, 7:35 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live about 30kms form Potrero Chico, I've done about a dozen sport routes there, can lead 10.9 and follow 10.11+. March April is a great time of the year to be there.It is always nice to climb except for Rainy Season in May and Scorching heat June through August.

skydylan

Dec 5, 2010, 7:43 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Orion3001] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

are you available to do some climbing during that time? I could really use a partner.

thanks,Dylan

guangzhou

Dec 6, 2010, 2:02 AM
Post #12 of 19 (2638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Raiden] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raiden wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

You could be in a hotel for $2 a night? I can't imagine that.

I too would recommend the red highly - if you're leading up to hard 10s you will have plenty of stellar routes to climb and it's really nice at that time of year.

You should travel outside of the U.S. more often. Even in Krabi, a major tourist destination, you can find a clean hotel for 5 bucks a night. Here in Indonesia too.

When I stay in extremely high end hotel, places like Shrangrila or the Ritz, I pay less than a cheap motel in America.

potreroed

Dec 6, 2010, 2:40 AM
Post #13 of 19 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Orion3001] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Orion3001 wrote:
I live about 30kms form Potrero Chico, I've done about a dozen sport routes there, can lead 10.9 and follow 10.11+. March April is a great time of the year to be there.It is always nice to climb except for Rainy Season in May and Scorching heat June through August.

Scorching heat is not a problem in the Potrero during the summer months. The way the walls are oriented there is always something in the shade. Finding a partner can be a problem--best to bring somebody with.

Orion3001

Dec 6, 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only wall you can Find Shade on is 'La Virgen"..try the Supermarket, Mota Wall or any other and you will be brazed unless you wear a ton of sunblock and drink plenty of fluids

potreroed

Dec 7, 2010, 9:51 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Orion3001 wrote:
The only wall you can Find Shade on is 'La Virgen"..try the Supermarket, Mota Wall or any other and you will be brazed unless you wear a ton of sunblock and drink plenty of fluids

Wrong!! During the summer months the Mota Wall, Mini Super and any other South-facing walls get NO SUN AT ALL until almost 1 pm.

Orion3001

Dec 7, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] partner needed mid March to mid April Petrero Chico, Cuba or States [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is obvious the sun wont be shinning, 24hrs on the wall

potreroed

Dec 9, 2010, 2:42 AM
Post #17 of 19 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Orion3001 wrote:

The point is you CAN climb here comfortably all summer long.

Orion3001

Dec 9, 2010, 5:08 AM
Post #18 of 19 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
Orion3001 wrote:

The point is you CAN climb here comfortably all summer long.

In deed that is the point of this Forum, we all want to climb and share this source. Im just saying it gets a little hot, thats all, but i like your tenacity, we have climbed sick, injured, hot, cold, thirsty and we endure. Thanks for sharing
In reply to:

potreroed

Dec 10, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So if you're going to post here please give correct info and not assumptions.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook