Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

lofstromc

Feb 19, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #26 of 53 (5610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was megalith the only one who made the snap shuts? I've been looking for years for one, I would by one in an instant too.

jt512

Feb 19, 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #27 of 53 (5602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lofstromc] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lofstromc wrote:
Was megalith the only one who made the snap shuts? I've been looking for years for one, I would by one in an instant too.

They're currently only made by Beal under the brand name "Clic-Clac," but they're not available in the US.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 19, 2011, 6:16 PM)

Partner philbox

Feb 19, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #28 of 53 (5581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/1/461281-largest_binniebongo.jpg[/image]

My big pink sack and a flabongo to boot.

Oh, you said sack not sac, my bad.

TarheelJD

Feb 19, 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #29 of 53 (5567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to clear up any confusion, the CC license only applies to that document itself, not the product you would make from it. Basically, you could use that pattern and sell the product all day long. However, you could not sell the actual pattern itself. The actual bag would have to be protected via trade dress or a design patent. It can get a lot more complicated than that but that's the basic idea. Happy selling.

Partner rgold

Feb 19, 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #30 of 53 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really believe in chalk balls as a way to radically decrease the blight of over-chalked holds. But filling them is a pain. I wish someone would make a chalk bag with an integrated ball. You'd fill the bag from the bottom and access the chalk ball from the top.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 20, 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #31 of 53 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That would not be difficult to do(for someone with commercial level sewing skills(which I don't have...).

I am a designer at heart - physical patternmaking is new for me, and as I hand sew the samples, I am finding it pleasurable, but not really any correlation to running a small line of production. To make what I describe below would not be within my rhealm at this time. At any rate:

- A "weatherrproof zipper"(like is employed on some b/packs and camera bags) would be set along the side(or back) in a vertical orientation(to help keep chalk from puffing through the zip teeth).
- This zipper would open into a lined compartment utilizing the bottom 1/3(appx) of the bag.
- A gussetted sort of insert would be sewn in alongside the zip - maybe 2 inches tall. Unzip, and pull the inset outside of the zipper - it becomes the funnel to help direct the filling chalk, and also keep it from puffing out when the zipper gets pulled down.
- A larger funnel would still need to be used to pour in the chalk easily though. Easy enough to do - just roll a piece of paper into a funnel, tape it closed and...that's all you need to do.
- Once chalk is in the bag, push the "funnel back inside and zip up. The funnel would have to have a construction that would make it lay alongside the inner contour of the bag, rather than stick towards the center, as that would be annoying during the dip.
- A soft, pliable, mesh screen or other material which would allow the chalk to permeate would be set into the main compartment of the bag, set horizontally. This would be at the top of the lined compartment. Imagine the way a talcum or face powder box used the screen as a sifter.
- Probably you would use fleece as sides above that section, which would help keep the chalk in the bag, and also serve as a comforting tactile sensation(I don't know - am I the only one who feels like the soft fleece of my chalkbag is reminiscent of "bankie," my childhood security blanket? - hahaha)

Or.... have some sort of a "plug" set alongside the bag upper part of the bag. It opens into an interior Chalksock which is attached to the plug and the rest hangs freely in the bag. Just need a funnel to put the chalk in - which is all one needs when refilling a chalkball....

Really - using a funnel(even a rolled piece of paper with tape to keep funnel) makes refilling chalkballs very easy.

Some people like the loose chalk though. Last night I was speaking with someone about chalkballs(on the topic of "must not leak chalk) and they said "I climb crack. I want chalk on my whole hand, not just fingertips."

I guess boulders using palm tension probably want loose chalk too.

ubu

Feb 20, 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #32 of 53 (5525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
I really believe in chalk balls as a way to radically decrease the blight of over-chalked holds. But filling them is a pain. I wish someone would make a chalk bag with an integrated ball. You'd fill the bag from the bottom and access the chalk ball from the top.

This is a great idea.

Partner rgold

Feb 20, 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #33 of 53 (5510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha---most crack climbers nowadays cover the backs of their hands with tape and then they need chalk on top of that?

But in any case there are still plenty of folks who think they need to lay down 1/4 inch of chalk on every hold, Never mind that it actually decreases their grip. They won't be persuaded, so a chalk ball bag won't have universal appeal.

The zipper system you describe sounds overly complicated to me. Just have the bag open to full width from the bottom and close with a roll-up closure like a dry bag. When full, the chalk should push a shaped barrier membrane up the middle of the bag. I suspect the back of the hands could be chalked with this as well as the front, by the way.

notapplicable

Feb 20, 2011, 4:00 AM
Post #34 of 53 (5476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad I didn't get a picture of it. I forgot my chalkbag in the truck yesterday and didn't realize it until after a longish hike in. I ended up using a cut off sock filled from my partners stash of extra chalk. Worked pretty damn good actually.

enigma

Feb 20, 2011, 4:18 AM
Post #35 of 53 (5468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
That would not be difficult to do(for someone with commercial level sewing skills(which I don't have...).

I am a designer at heart - physical patternmaking is new for me, and as I hand sew the samples, I am finding it pleasurable, but not really any correlation to running a small line of production. To make what I describe below would not be within my rhealm at this time. At any rate:

- A "weatherrproof zipper"(like is employed on some b/packs and camera bags) would be set along the side(or back) in a vertical orientation(to help keep chalk from puffing through the zip teeth).
- This zipper would open into a lined compartment utilizing the bottom 1/3(appx) of the bag.
- A gussetted sort of insert would be sewn in alongside the zip - maybe 2 inches tall. Unzip, and pull the inset outside of the zipper - it becomes the funnel to help direct the filling chalk, and also keep it from puffing out when the zipper gets pulled down.
- A larger funnel would still need to be used to pour in the chalk easily though. Easy enough to do - just roll a piece of paper into a funnel, tape it closed and...that's all you need to do.
- Once chalk is in the bag, push the "funnel back inside and zip up. The funnel would have to have a construction that would make it lay alongside the inner contour of the bag, rather than stick towards the center, as that would be annoying during the dip.
- A soft, pliable, mesh screen or other material which would allow the chalk to permeate would be set into the main compartment of the bag, set horizontally. This would be at the top of the lined compartment. Imagine the way a talcum or face powder box used the screen as a sifter.
- Probably you would use fleece as sides above that section, which would help keep the chalk in the bag, and also serve as a comforting tactile sensation(I don't know - am I the only one who feels like the soft fleece of my chalkbag is reminiscent of "bankie," my childhood security blanket? - hahaha)

Or.... have some sort of a "plug" set alongside the bag upper part of the bag. It opens into an interior Chalksock which is attached to the plug and the rest hangs freely in the bag. Just need a funnel to put the chalk in - which is all one needs when refilling a chalkball....

Really - using a funnel(even a rolled piece of paper with tape to keep funnel) makes refilling chalkballs very easy.

Some people like the loose chalk though. Last night I was speaking with someone about chalkballs(on the topic of "must not leak chalk) and they said "I climb crack. I want chalk on my whole hand, not just fingertips."

I guess boulders using palm tension probably want loose chalk too.

I like the one with the snap so its easily available when you need chalk.
Now do you make the chalk bags to clip to a carabiner? Or is it a belt type for boulders.
Hope I see this in stores soon. the new "HappieBag" . Cool

Partner j_ung

Feb 20, 2011, 2:00 PM
Post #36 of 53 (5436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

I had one just like that from a company called Chamellon (sp). They were a small clothing shop in VA beach, the owner of which got into climbing at the local gym. There were two linings, and one added chalk between them. It worked just like a chalk ball.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 20, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #37 of 53 (5412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Now do you make the chalk bags to clip to a carabiner? Or is it a belt type for boulders.
Hope I see this in stores soon. the new "HappieBag" . Cool

Right now I am using 2 loops on the samples I'm making(so far only 2 have been completed, and 2 more in the works). But, since I always clipped to haul loop, and I see plenty of people do that, I want to offer both ways. Looking to come up with a simple solution which allows for both single/double type attachment.

As for stores - I do not intend to do wholesale business. I'm not entirely against it, but I LIKE interacting with clients, and I dislike having to fit within a system(and the retail buying structure is certainly that).

I'm also such a pauper that the investment to do wholesale business is not within my ability.

And finally - I do not want to compete for shelf space with established brands. I will offer the bags through my ClimbAddictDesigns website, and ship directly.

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Feb 20, 2011, 7:36 PM)

Partner rgold

Feb 20, 2011, 8:24 PM
Post #38 of 53 (5391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The simple solution is three loops with the middle one for haul loop clipping and otherwise all three for the chalkbag "belt."

Clipping to a haul loop really isn't the best solution---too easy to get the bag pinned behind you against something. Plus, it is far harder to operate the top closing unless, of course, you unclip the bag, which adds the risk of dropping it.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 21, 2011, 2:50 AM
Post #39 of 53 (5347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am trying to design an attachment point that is more attractive than the 3 loops sticking up. It's in my head; just haven't sketched it out and tried it yet.

airscape

Feb 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #40 of 53 (5321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

Madrock chalkbags have a squishy cotton ball type thing in the bag and it gives the same chalk coverage as a chalkball.

Jooler

Feb 21, 2011, 6:32 PM
Post #41 of 53 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a suggestion about the belt loops. They are (at least for me...) the last thing that gets put on. Why not make the bags minus the loop, then as they are ordered, sew on the buyers preference? Its an idea. I'm assuming you sell these out of home; if not, this way may be harder to accomplish. Regardless, its something to think about. Good luck!

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 21, 2011, 6:44 PM
Post #42 of 53 (5281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jooler] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is an idea, but I have been sewing the loops into the bag seams for added stability, and not as a last on thing.

I'm not looking to do the black nylon web collar/black nylon web loops for all the products, and I think the sewn into seam thing is better for the type of goods I am making. But who knows - that is certainly an option to consider, at least for some products.

wiki

Feb 22, 2011, 8:08 AM
Post #43 of 53 (5217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From one of the sillier stages of my life... http://home.signsofsuccess.co.nz/FFA/freshlyskinned.htm

airscape

Feb 22, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #44 of 53 (5208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 22, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #45 of 53 (5174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wiki - Those are excellent!

I wish I could find a machine like Marvin here in the US(still hoping I can, but the beautiful sewing stands are coveted as antiques).

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #46 of 53 (5084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to update with a picture of another sample. This one is definitely a gym climber bag. I still have some work to do in getting the loops right(I don't want to use black web loops, except where it works well with the materials, in which this case, I don't think it is best)

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 3, 2011, 9:49 PM
Post #47 of 53 (4955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more prototype, based on the pattern discussed back a ways. I know the only difference between this one and a factory made is that....it's not made in a factory, but I am thinking that I will be doing some hand needlework decorative elements, and this shape does lend itself way for that(embroidery stitching, ribbon embroidery, and bargello patterns on the face panel.)

Adk

Mar 3, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #48 of 53 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are the ones I made last summer. The outside is totally reversible. Though I don't show it, the far left one reverses to a light purple print- my daughter's. The two on the right reverse to the opposite of each other. One is a fellow Marine friend of mine and the other is mine.
Because the outer shell is seperate from the inner you can store keys, cellphone etc between the two.
I've made a few others as well.
Yeah, I was bored!!

Adk

Mar 3, 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #49 of 53 (4911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like this one. It looks nice and deep!!!
The dual bag loops is a great idea.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #50 of 53 (4906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Show Your A**(I mean Chalkbag)! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
I've made a few others as well.

It does seem like it could be an addictive pastime....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook