Forums: Climbing Information: General:
East vs. West - Who has the best climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

mrtristan

Mar 26, 2011, 3:25 PM
Post #1 of 22 (5409 views)
Shortcut

East vs. West - Who has the best climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm in the mood for some passionate debate and people telling me how stupid and uneducated I am. So here we go.

I think it's funny when people say that the eastern US has better climbing than the west. It's cute. Like when a kid says his dad can beat up the other kid's dad... When the one's kid's dad is on a wheelchair and the other kid's dad is a champion MMA fighter.

THE WESTERN US HAS...
Yosemite. Everything else in the High Sierra. J-Tree. Red Rocks. Zion. Moab area. Bishop area. Smith Rocks. The Cascades. The Wind Rivers. The Tetons. RMNP, Eldo, etc., etc.

THE EASTERN US HAS...
The Gunks, a couple gorges, some big-ish granite slabs, lots of humid bouldering areas, and lots of people wishing they were in Yosemite. Heh.

So I think you can tell who I'm voting for.

Let's hear it, and the less informed and more biased and angry the responses, the better.

spikeddem

Mar 26, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #2 of 22 (5403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends (on what you like).

bearbreeder

Mar 26, 2011, 3:37 PM
Post #3 of 22 (5397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squamish, yosemite, j tree, red rocks, rockies, zion, indian creek, skaha, bugaboos, etc ...add actual mountains ...

nuff said

mrtristan

Mar 26, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #4 of 22 (5392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

Disagree. I think that whether you like sport, trad, bouldering, aid, ice, or alpine, it's better in the west.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 26, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 22 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Gunks is my home crag, but only a cragger would say the east has better climbing.

But why limit ourselves to east vs west? It IS the United States, after all. This land is your land, this land is my land....

sungam

Mar 26, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #6 of 22 (5368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The Gunks is my home crag, but only a cragger would say the east has better climbing.

But why limit ourselves to east vs west? It IS the United States, after all. This land is your land, this land is my land....
So stay the fuck off my land and I'll stay the fuck off yours?

rangerrob

Mar 26, 2011, 9:19 PM
Post #7 of 22 (5302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While one has to agree that the west overall has more opportunity for climbing of all types, I wouldn't say the quality was any better either out west or back east.

First off, when you say the easy you're really talking about a select few areas of concentrated climbing. The climbing here is great. Everything from roadside single pitch sport crags to to backcountry explorations. The amount of big grade V alpine stuff is extremely limited however.

Out west just has a much larger volume of climbing, but not necessarily concentrated. Diversity is also extremely good out west, and you can get in the bigger alpine routes.

I have quite amazing quality routes in the Adirondacks, New Hampshire, vermont, North Carolina, West Virginia. I have also done amazing quality routes in Alaska, California, Utah, Wyoming...etc. The quality is excellent, but the west has the east beat for sheer volume and height.

Lake Willoughby is by far the best concentrated ice climbing area I have ever seen in the United States, bar none. If you want to climb a shit ton of big, hard ice and not have to walk 4 hours to it, you can't beat the lake.

RR

By the way, J-Tree is great and all, but let's face it, it's a roadside cragging area, not a classic alpine area, which the west is known for.

coastal_climber

Mar 27, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #8 of 22 (5261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

B.C. is the foshizzle

mikebee

Mar 27, 2011, 3:05 AM
Post #9 of 22 (5206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps a better debate is Canada vs US, who has the best climbing?

coastal_climber

Mar 27, 2011, 3:10 AM
Post #10 of 22 (5203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebee wrote:
Perhaps a better debate is Canada vs US, who has the best climbing?

I think the climbing is too different to compare...

Plus I don't like it when it degrades to USA vs. CDN in general.

majid_sabet

Mar 27, 2011, 6:38 AM
Post #11 of 22 (5163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I rather spend 1 day west of Rockies than 100 years east of it .

its all flat land with corns,cows and wabitts

styndall

Mar 27, 2011, 1:50 PM
Post #12 of 22 (5114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Disagree. I think that whether you like sport, trad, bouldering, aid, ice, or alpine, it's better in the west.

If you like bouldering, then you prefer sandstone, and if you prefer sandstone, you prefer the South.

QED

Partner angry

Mar 27, 2011, 1:52 PM
Post #13 of 22 (5112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, what are yOu looking to accomplish?

If you're interested in big climbs, west is it. This can of course mean shitty rock, loose approaches, unaesthetic climbing, and lighting. Of course the climbing can be incredible too. For single pitch, oftenmout west you find yourself on a roadcut asking why mountainproject gave the area 5 stars.

Out east, it's about moving over stone. There are no amazing views or jawdropping landscapes. The kinesthetics of each route is often far more interesting than western routes. You have to love climbing rocks to appreciate this, it's not camera climbing.

I also think you can lead a rich full adventurous life on 5.8 out west. If you're not leading 12's at least semi-regularly out east, you'll probably take up geo-caching and posting on the Internet as a hobby.

shockabuku

Mar 27, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #14 of 22 (5097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
mrtristan wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

If you like bouldering, then you prefer sandstone, and if you prefer sandstone, you prefer the South.

QED

Bouldering bores me. I'm for the west.

Partner camhead

Mar 27, 2011, 3:48 PM
Post #15 of 22 (5065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

For cragging (or "only" cragging as happiegrrrl said), here is the rundown:

The East has overall better rock quality, quantity, and variety. However, its seasons, weather, and access are without a doubt worse than the West.

The West has overall worse rock quality. In terms of single pitches, Looking Glass is just as good as Yosemite or Squamish, The Red is better than any sport destination out West, and the New or T-wall are better than City of Rocks, J-Tree, or the Creek for trad cragging. Only in terms of pure splitter cracks does the West excel in quality alone.

But seasons and weather in the West are way better. Less humidity, less likelihood of the entire region being covered by rain, more year-round options. The large amounts of public land make access an easier (though not entirely perfect) issue as well.

desertdude420

Mar 27, 2011, 3:53 PM
Post #16 of 22 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The WEST is the BEST!!

Duh?!!!

rtwilli4

Mar 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #17 of 22 (4958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to argue that the east has "better climbing" than the west because that would just be stupid. But your pathetic summary of climbing in the east just shows that you don't have enough knowledge to really say which one is better. The Gunks isn't even the best climbing area in New York State!

rangerrob and camhead have pretty much hit the nail on the head with their answers.

For me personally, I dream about spending time in majestic places like the Valley, the Needles, the Winds, the Bugaboos, RMNP, etc. They are HUGE and amazing and well worth the long drive I have to make to climb there. I can't wait to spend August and September out west this year.

But I have spent quite a bit of time out there already and I have to say my most fun climbing days have been in the east. Either cragging on bullet proof sandstone or hanging off jugs, feet swinging in the air, 500 feet up a wall above a big river gorge or rolling hills of autumn colors.

I'll always make trips to the big mountains, but I'll always live in the east (if and when I decide to move back to the US).

blueeyedclimber

Mar 28, 2011, 2:18 PM
Post #18 of 22 (4920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

If you're interested in big climbs, west is it.

Agree.

In reply to:
This can of course mean shitty rock, loose approaches, unaesthetic climbing, and lighting. Of course the climbing can be incredible too. For single pitch, oftenmout west you find yourself on a roadcut asking why mountainproject gave the area 5 stars.

This statement surprises me. I have never lived out west, but have been to Yosemite, Red Rocks, Boulder, Squamish, Salt Lake City, and Joshua Tree and that was not my experience in any of those places.

In reply to:
Out east, it's about moving over stone. There are no amazing views or jawdropping landscapes. The kinesthetics of each route is often far more interesting than western routes. You have to love climbing rocks to appreciate this, it's not camera climbing.

For the most part this is true, although during peak leaf season, I think it is jaw dropping.

In reply to:
I also think you can lead a rich full adventurous life on 5.8 out west. If you're not leading 12's at least semi-regularly out east, you'll probably take up geo-caching and posting on the Internet as a hobby.

This is not even close to being true, especially in the northeast. Maybe if the only place you have been to is the Red, but the east has quite a bit of variety, just not as much of it. I know hundreds of climbers, and only a small fraction of them climb 12's regularly.

I live in the East, but if I were to pick, I would pick the West for the following reasons: Weather, pure volume and ability to live in close proximity to rock. In the East, if you want to work and make a decent living, you probably need to live at least 2 hours away from good rock.

Josh

potreroed

Mar 28, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #19 of 22 (4913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all good, except Yosemite. Yosemite sucks.

rtwilli4

Mar 28, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #20 of 22 (4878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

In reply to:

This is not even close to being true, especially in the northeast. Maybe if the only place you have been to is the Red, but the east has quite a bit of variety, just not as much of it. I know hundreds of climbers, and only a small fraction of them climb 12's regularly.

5.12 is a bit of an exaggeration but I get his point. What he means is that there is a lifetime of big long climbs out west for the climber that won't ever do a V1 move, even if you just stick to the popular areas. Get a little farther off the beaten path and there are 10 lifetimes of amazing routes under 5.9.

You can't really do that in the east. We don't have big alpine ridges or 13,000 foot peaks that can be reached via 5.6-5.8. If you want to go up a relatively big wall in the east you need to be able to climb harder than 5.8

There are a handful of Grade III climbs in the NE that go at under 5.8 but certainly not more than someone could do in a years worth of weekend trips. Take a 5.8 climber to Poke-o-Moonshine and see how many pitches he's willing to lead.

The SE is the same. Seneca and Linvile Gorge have a bit of climbing under 5.8 but once you've done that you're left with the big walls of NC and you can't get to the top of any of them without either climbing hard 5.10 and usually 5.11, or running it out 80 feet on 5.8 and 5.9.

If you're a sport climber in the east or even single pitch trad, your problems are even worse. The Red has some good 5.10-5.11 but the New shuts down anyone who can't do a true V4 move. Trad at both places is the same. Sure there are 5.8's but if you can't climb solid 5.10 you won't have fun for more than a few trips to either place.

T-Wall is stacked with classics, starting at 5.9. Other Chattanooga areas are similar.

I could go on.

I love the climbing here but you have to admit that climbers in the 5.5 to 5.8 range end up repeating the same old routes or just going out west.

If you're solid on 5.10 trad and 5.12 sport... there is SO MUCH climbing for you in the east.

In reply to:

I live in the East, but if I were to pick, I would pick the West for the following reasons: Weather, pure volume and ability to live in close proximity to rock. In the East, if you want to work and make a decent living, you probably need to live at least 2 hours away from good rock.

Josh

Not true. I can think of plenty of places to live and work in the east that are closer than two hours. Maybe not as close as Boulder, but not two hours. It depends on what you consider to be a descent living. If you're looking for a city with more than 500,000 people then yes, you're two hours away. But if you can find a job (and you can) in a smaller city (not town) then it's possible to be within 45 min of good climbing.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 28, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #21 of 22 (4858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

5.12 is a bit of an exaggeration but I get his point. What he means is that there is a lifetime of big long climbs out west for the climber that won't ever do a V1 move, even if you just stick to the popular areas. Get a little farther off the beaten path and there are 10 lifetimes of amazing routes under 5.9.

You can't really do that in the east. We don't have big alpine ridges or 13,000 foot peaks that can be reached via 5.6-5.8. If you want to go up a relatively big wall in the east you need to be able to climb harder than 5.8

There are a handful of Grade III climbs in the NE that go at under 5.8 but certainly not more than someone could do in a years worth of weekend trips. Take a 5.8 climber to Poke-o-Moonshine and see how many pitches he's willing to lead.

The SE is the same. Seneca and Linvile Gorge have a bit of climbing under 5.8 but once you've done that you're left with the big walls of NC and you can't get to the top of any of them without either climbing hard 5.10 and usually 5.11, or running it out 80 feet on 5.8 and 5.9.

If you're a sport climber in the east or even single pitch trad, your problems are even worse. The Red has some good 5.10-5.11 but the New shuts down anyone who can't do a true V4 move. Trad at both places is the same. Sure there are 5.8's but if you can't climb solid 5.10 you won't have fun for more than a few trips to either place.

T-Wall is stacked with classics, starting at 5.9. Other Chattanooga areas are similar.

I could go on.

I love the climbing here but you have to admit that climbers in the 5.5 to 5.8 range end up repeating the same old routes or just going out west.

If you're solid on 5.10 trad and 5.12 sport... there is SO MUCH climbing for you in the east.

Not true. I can think of plenty of places to live and work in the east that are closer than two hours. Maybe not as close as Boulder, but not two hours. It depends on what you consider to be a descent living. If you're looking for a city with more than 500,000 people then yes, you're two hours away. But if you can find a job (and you can) in a smaller city (not town) then it's possible to be within 45 min of good climbing.

And no one is arguing that the west has more and bigger stuff. But his point, even if it was exaggerated was wrong. I have plenty of friends who would have trouble pulling a true V1 move, and don't climb harder than 5.8. I am not saying that the east can compare, but to say that the east does not have enough to satisfy this type of climber is just wrong. 2 of the best routes up Cannon are 5.7 and 5.8. One of the best routes up Cathedral is 5.6. Classic up Whitehorse that's 5.5. Years worth of classics at the Gunks 5.8 and below. Classics in Acadia as low as 5.5. Adirondacks, yeah you might have a harder time there.

There is no comparing east vs. west in terms of size, but in quality of climbing, we're right up there.

Josh

(This post was edited by blueeyedclimber on Mar 28, 2011, 3:55 PM)

rtwilli4

Mar 28, 2011, 5:06 PM
Post #22 of 22 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] East vs. West - Who has the best climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do agree that in terms of quality, the rock is excellent up and down the east coast. Our mountains are older, and all of the chossy rubble has already fallen off.

But if I were a 5.8 climber I think I'd want to live somewhere else. There aren't many areas I like to climb at in the east that would keep my busy at that grade for more than a season.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook