Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

zeke_sf

Jun 26, 2010, 5:55 AM
Post #176 of 225 (11110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidnn5] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

davidnn5 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
Oh I'm sorry Jay..I don't live up to your expectations. I'll get better I promise! here, let me train for....I don't know....a week maybe. Then I'll be able to climb as hard as you on bolts.

That's your fantasy.

Here's your reality":

rangerrob wrote:
I start to fall on lead at around 5.10b. I start to fall on toprope and seconding at around 5.10c.

Jay

Since we're arsing on about numbers, how tall are you Jay?

Because frankly, I had a lightbulb moment when on another thread you mentioned you weigh 135 lbs. No man I know, climber or otherwise, weighs that little unless they're 5'6. Ergo, it occurs to me that you have small man syndrome. Otherwise, I simply can't account for your obsession with e-peen battling.

JT512.D is a lady, man!!!

petsfed

Jun 26, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #177 of 225 (11076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

davidnn5 wrote:
Because frankly, I had a lightbulb moment when on another thread you mentioned you weigh 135 lbs. No man I know, climber or otherwise, weighs that little unless they're 5'6. Ergo, it occurs to me that you have small man syndrome. Otherwise, I simply can't account for your obsession with e-peen battling.

You must not know that many 5.12+ and harder climbers then. Of the ones I know, average weight is between 120 and 150, height ranges from 5'6" to 6'2". If you climb long enough, and structure your diet well enough (since Jay is a nutritionist, I kind of expect that), you will get to a fairly low weight, if only because that means you have less to haul up the rock.

So try again.

/6'1"
//170lbs
///rarely onsights harder than 10c sport

(This post was edited by petsfed on Jun 26, 2010, 4:20 PM)

Partner camhead

Jun 26, 2010, 4:22 PM
Post #178 of 225 (11072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
davidnn5 wrote:

You must not know that many 5.12+ and harder climbers then. Of the ones I know, average weight is between 120 and 150, height ranges from 5'6" to 6'2". If you climb long enough, and structure your diet well enough (since Jay is a nutritionist, I kind of expect that), you will get to a fairly low weight, if only because that means you have less to haul up the rock.

So try again.

/6'1"
//170lbs

That's true, but I believe that JayTee is short.

davidnn5

Jun 26, 2010, 9:55 PM
Post #179 of 225 (11035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

So try again.

/6'1"
//170lbs

As an aside while I wait for Jay to respond, I plugged weights between 120-150 (your contended range) to see how they would stack up BMI-wise against a 5'6 climber versus a 6'2 climber.

Unsurprisingly, all weights between 120-150 would be considered in the healthy weight range for a 5'6 person according to many international Departments of Health (18.5-24.9 BMI). 120 lbs is getting fairly skinny for someone of that height.

Conversely, anyone at 6'2 who weighed anything under 140 lbs or so would be considered unhealthy; at 120, emaciated and probably ready to die. Even at 150, a BMI of 19.3 indicates a very, very skinny man with very little muscle mass (muscle heavier than fat etc). In fact arguably someone that skinny may be more likely to have long term tendon damage from climbing due to lack of muscle mass.

So, either I don't know anyone who climbs 5.12+/V4 (they'll be surprised!) or you hang around with a bunch of anorexic girly-men. Ponder which it could be? I feel horrible for all those guys who weigh 151 lbs or more who don't get to make the 5.12 cut. Sly

Perhaps your experience of life does not equal a scientific analysis. Whereas given enough short guys, I'm sure I could prove a strong correlation with short guy syndrome (SGS). Smile

Edit: I'm glad no one caught my fox pahs; I can hardly criticise Jay if I'm going to do... well, anything wrong at all.

(This post was edited by davidnn5 on Jun 27, 2010, 6:37 AM)

Shroom

Jun 27, 2010, 1:58 AM
Post #180 of 225 (10994 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Shroom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  

bennydh

Jun 27, 2010, 7:50 AM
Post #181 of 225 (10954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am 5'7" and under 130lbs. I think Jay is just around the same size and build maybe taller?

Little man syndrome? Probably not.

Asshole? Sure whatever. I'm certainly not the nicest guy in this forum, apparently you aren't in the running for that award either.

Constantly wrong? As much as I'd like to say Jay is a total idiot and always wrong, that would be disingenuous. Regardless of whether you like him or not.

davidnn5

Jun 27, 2010, 8:04 AM
Post #182 of 225 (10947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

How does one convert 'e-peen battling' to 'constantly wrong'? Or did I post something that I conveniently forgot in the haze of kilojoule-saturated beers? I do that a lot. Drink and enjoy myself, that is. *shock* I should write a 3-page article on drinking and climbing and post it to the world.

In any case, I think you got my point.

Go eat a sammich. Your BMI is around 20 but you would still be broken in half by a gale-force wind. In a healthy country you'd be given at least one free beer per night. Women may have pity-sex with you, but only because they want to feed you after you wake up. Men everywhere look at you and think "more wimmins for me".

/The (healthy) Brobdingnagian. Fee fi fo fum... Don't let me fall on you.

PS Jay has been attributed heights of over 5'7 to 5'3 so far... We're all dying to know the truth!

bennydh

Jun 27, 2010, 8:32 AM
Post #183 of 225 (10938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

My Response was to shroom...

I thought a BMI of 20 is healthy.

I've never had women or relationship problems. At least not any that I couldn't just ignore. Laugh

The rest of my relationships I've kept healthy and brief, without too much collateral damage.

Although your mom keeps on fucking calling me. Usually when she is totally lit up. I didn't want to air that out on RC, but please tell her to stop calling!

Oh yeah, maybe lay off the sauce? Its apparently a genetic problem.Wink

rangerrob

Jun 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #184 of 225 (10871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanna win the nicest man award! I wanna win! Any chance?

5'6 or 6'2, jay is still an internet tool

jjones16

May 22, 2011, 7:24 AM
Post #185 of 225 (10574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brianthew] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

The reason is very simple. Trad climbers have more balls. I hate to say it, and I'm sure I'll catch hell from die hard sportsters for saying so, but it is absolutely true, and for one very simple reason that most miss. Unless you're sport climbing on a route with ancient and corroded 1/4 bolts, then you don't have to worry about your "protection" holding your fall. Trad climbers do not have that luxury. We don't rappel from the top and lock off to perfectly place a cam/hex/nut/tricam and then clip into a biner in half a second on the way up. We climb from the ground up, sometimes blindly and not knowing if we've brought adequate protection. The sport climber does not bear this task- at all.

Even beginner sport climbers can quickly master clipping in if they are not complete clods (which inevitably some are) Trad... not so easy. You have a much more intimate experience with the rock, for not only are you trying to haul your ass up it using your hands, you're in a constant state of evaluation of the quality of rock, and the features in which you can PLACE gear that will hopefully save your life in the event of a fall.

I have respect for anyone that can climb hard grades. I have no problem with bolted faces that can't be protected otherwise. I have no problem with a lone bolt on say... an unprotectable traverse (e.g. Zoo View 5.7, Moore's Wall NC). However, if gear can be safely employed to send a route, bolting it is just a tragedy- not to mention a big fat fuck you to everyone that developed both disciplines into what they are today. Although I do enjoy the adventurous nature of trad, and I prefer that discipline the most, I still do not label myself a "trad climber". I still top rope project routes, and I sport lead quite often as well. I'm a climber, period. I do not wish to disrespect the discipline of sport climbing, because I enjoy it. But to say that trad climbing doesn't require more balls, and an entirely different and added skillset than sport climbing is horseshit.

This, my friend, is why some trad climbers cast disparaging remarks on sport climbers.

ceebo

May 22, 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #186 of 225 (10551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjones16] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jjones16 wrote:
The reason is very simple. Trad climbers have more balls. I hate to say it, and I'm sure I'll catch hell from die hard sportsters for saying so, but it is absolutely true, and for one very simple reason that most miss. Unless you're sport climbing on a route with ancient and corroded 1/4 bolts, then you don't have to worry about your "protection" holding your fall. Trad climbers do not have that luxury. We don't rappel from the top and lock off to perfectly place a cam/hex/nut/tricam and then clip into a biner in half a second on the way up. We climb from the ground up, sometimes blindly and not knowing if we've brought adequate protection. The sport climber does not bear this task- at all.

Even beginner sport climbers can quickly master clipping in if they are not complete clods (which inevitably some are) Trad... not so easy. You have a much more intimate experience with the rock, for not only are you trying to haul your ass up it using your hands, you're in a constant state of evaluation of the quality of rock, and the features in which you can PLACE gear that will hopefully save your life in the event of a fall.

I have respect for anyone that can climb hard grades. I have no problem with bolted faces that can't be protected otherwise. I have no problem with a lone bolt on say... an unprotectable traverse (e.g. Zoo View 5.7, Moore's Wall NC). However, if gear can be safely employed to send a route, bolting it is just a tragedy- not to mention a big fat fuck you to everyone that developed both disciplines into what they are today. Although I do enjoy the adventurous nature of trad, and I prefer that discipline the most, I still do not label myself a "trad climber". I still top rope project routes, and I sport lead quite often as well. I'm a climber, period. I do not wish to disrespect the discipline of sport climbing, because I enjoy it. But to say that trad climbing doesn't require more balls, and an entirely different and added skillset than sport climbing is horseshit.

This, my friend, is why some trad climbers cast disparaging remarks on sport climbers.

I have to bite on that. My personal experience aside (only recently done some trad) i have been serounded by trad climbers for years. 99% of them share the same common fear of not wanting to fall. All of those as a result hit mind games and do not climb harder than E2. Their are only a very few that i know of who push past that but not much further.

Mostly i put that down to the fact that all they do is trad. Trad is not the best place to get strong (that much i learnt from my own climbing under the style). IMO i have had the best possible start to trad, im not insanely strong, but enough to climb E5 at the very least. I KNOW physically i'm able for that.. Mentally defo not.. but half the battle is already won.

The only reason i would have ''balls'' to be looking up the line of E5's and more is because of sport climbing. If i had no mental game and no physical side.. i will also be doing nothing but E1's for years on end.. like they have.

And having ''balls'' is a personal attribute.. not a style of climbing. The trigger for peoples fear is not exclusive to trad.. people get scared bouldering. The show of ''balls'' is overcoming that fear and getting on with it.

I know the obvious argument is that trad can kill, bouldering can not (well it can but freak accidents). The point is, fear is fear.. once it gets you.. it cripples you in the same way.

Bag11s

May 23, 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #187 of 225 (10507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jakedatc- somehow I missed this confab last spring. I’ve just looked at it since it came back around again. Although I love Rumney, and climbed a few 12s there in the nineties, and later made it a weird personal mission to do all of its 5.11s- (see profile) because they were admittedly easier, I recently have more time, my youngest daughter is now finishing up college and I have now embarked on a mission to get strong, finally. I have gotten back into working/sending a bunch of our local 5.12s in the last year, including some at Rumney, and have developed grand goals to climb much harder shit finally, after 22 years of raising a family while running my own woodworking business. 5.13 sport and v8 plastic bouldering are my climbing ambitions these days. I am closing my business after 30 years, and hope to have way more time to devote to climbing.

However, what I agree with Tradman is that you are missing out on something special if you don’t try the great climbing at Cannon- the routes are not all choss- and the VMC and Lab Wall are off- the- wall on the fun chart- and almost all on compact, perfect, granite. If you have done or been on Whip Tide at Rumney- with its intricate stemming through the middle section- you would be surprised how much great climbing of a similar nature, and in fact way more, is on the Lab Wall, besides other similarly wicked and entertaining cruxiness. Open your mind a bit- Tradman is right- Cannon does have amazing and cool shit, even for someone with your background and interests.

jjones16

May 23, 2011, 1:01 AM
Post #188 of 225 (10503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

I have to bite on that. My personal experience aside (only recently done some trad) i have been serounded by trad climbers for years. 99% of them share the same common fear of not wanting to fall. All of those as a result hit mind games and do not climb harder than E2. Their are only a very few that i know of who push past that but not much further.

Mostly i put that down to the fact that all they do is trad. Trad is not the best place to get strong (that much i learnt from my own climbing under the style). IMO i have had the best possible start to trad, im not insanely strong, but enough to climb E5 at the very least. I KNOW physically i'm able for that.. Mentally defo not.. but half the battle is already won.

The only reason i would have ''balls'' to be looking up the line of E5's and more is because of sport climbing. If i had no mental game and no physical side.. i will also be doing nothing but E1's for years on end.. like they have.

And having ''balls'' is a personal attribute.. not a style of climbing. The trigger for peoples fear is not exclusive to trad.. people get scared bouldering. The show of ''balls'' is overcoming that fear and getting on with it.

I know the obvious argument is that trad can kill, bouldering can not (well it can but freak accidents). The point is, fear is fear.. once it gets you.. it cripples you in the same way.

And there you go. No one is arguing that the vast majority of the climbing population can do higher grades in sport than in trad. Ever consider the reason for this strange anomaly? Nevermind. Also, no one posed the argument that one can hone strength and technique doing sport routes perhaps moreso than doing trad routes. Have you considered the possible reasons for this? Again, nevermind. If you cannot draw the correlation between these two trends, then I don't know what else I could possibly say. In addition, I didn't speak from a platform that even remotely implied that balls were NOT a personal attribute, and not a climbing style, so I'm still scratching my head on where the origin for your rebuttal came from. Oh, and as far as the "fear is fear" thing, bouldering highballs which I've only had limited experience with DID make me feel like I had a carrot in my ass. Taking a 20 footer on a jagged route and barely being caught by a .5 camalot before I got violated by a sharp flake... well that one made me shit a meat axe. Not exactly the same thing. Again, I'd like to reiterate that I do not profess undying loyalty to any discipline, as I enjoy them all. Nor do I look down on any one more than another. You're being defensive and offering irrelevant rebuttals that don't pertain to the original commentary at all. The question was "why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? " and I was merely offering what I thought was the answer. I'm sorry that I offended you to the point of grasping at straws. I apologize.

(This post was edited by jjones16 on May 23, 2011, 1:03 AM)

kachoong

May 23, 2011, 1:02 AM
Post #189 of 225 (10502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

I have seven balls at last count. The dog chewed one, but even deflated it's still ball-shaped.

jjones16

May 23, 2011, 1:10 AM
Post #190 of 225 (10497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

I have seven balls at last count. The dog chewed one, but even deflated it's still ball-shaped.

Seven? Deflated? Why can't I have air in my balls? That's why I get pumped so easily; damned fleshy balls.

ceebo

May 23, 2011, 1:24 AM
Post #191 of 225 (10494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jjones16 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

And there you go. No one is arguing that the vast majority of the climbing population can do higher grades in sport than in trad. Ever consider the reason for this strange anomaly? Nevermind. Also, no one posed the argument that one can hone strength and technique doing sport routes perhaps moreso than doing trad routes. Have you considered the possible reasons for this? Again, nevermind. If you cannot draw the correlation between these two trends, then I don't know what else I could possibly say. In addition, I didn't speak from a platform that even remotely implied that balls were NOT a personal attribute, and not a climbing style, so I'm still scratching my head on where the origin for your rebuttal came from. Oh, and as far as the "fear is fear" thing, bouldering highballs which I've only had limited experience with DID make me feel like I had a carrot in my ass. Taking a 20 footer on a jagged route and barely being caught by a .5 camalot before I got violated by a sharp flake... well that one made me shit a meat axe. Not exactly the same thing. Again, I'd like to reiterate that I do not profess undying loyalty to any discipline, as I enjoy them all. Nor do I look down on any one more than another. You're being defensive and offering irrelevant rebuttals that don't pertain to the original commentary at all. The question was "why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? " and I was merely offering what I thought was the answer. I'm sorry that I offended you to the point of grasping at straws. I apologize.

Your right, nobody was.

You stated that trad climbers (i assumed as a whole) have more balls than sport climbers. If you meant the elite trad climbers who try to on sight E6+ then ok sure.. my hat is off to those few nut jobs, but the avg joe who do it have no balls at all. They climb shit they perceive as having zero chance of taking a fall on.

jjones16

May 23, 2011, 2:48 AM
Post #192 of 225 (10477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

Your right, nobody was.

You stated that trad climbers (i assumed as a whole) have more balls than sport climbers. If you meant the elite trad climbers who try to on sight E6+ then ok sure.. my hat is off to those few nut jobs, but the avg joe who do it have no balls at all. They climb shit they perceive as having zero chance of taking a fall on.

So you're saying except for the elite badass nutsos like Holding, Wright, and Berthod, etc., your average climber that places gear and goes ground up only do routes that they aren't challenged by and feel as though they can do without falling. I respectfully disagree. I'm wondering; is that just a personal opinion or are these things that you've just witnessed in your area, or everywhere you've been?

jt512

May 23, 2011, 5:02 AM
Post #193 of 225 (10462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jjones16 wrote:

Yore a n00b.

Jay

spikeddem

May 23, 2011, 5:31 AM
Post #194 of 225 (10450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's got nothing to do with a perceived lack of "courage" or "balls." Sure, those are the common criticisms, but the deeper reason for the criticism is a combination of a holier-than-thou (think "purity") and climbing low grades. Trad climbers that truly crank hard rarely criticize sport climbing with serious intent.

It's like the prude Christian talking about how awful partying is to justify away not being invited.

The same reasoning explains why we all hate those BET jerks.

I love trad climbing and bouldering and sport climbing. I cycle through phases of each one.

ceebo

May 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #195 of 225 (10419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jjones16 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

Your right, nobody was.

So you're saying except for the elite badass nutsos like Holding, Wright, and Berthod, etc., your average climber that places gear and goes ground up only do routes that they aren't challenged by and feel as though they can do without falling. I respectfully disagree. I'm wondering; is that just a personal opinion or are these things that you've just witnessed in your area, or everywhere you've been?

Yeah im saying that, Our routes are graded with factor of death or injury in mind. Its not just about difficulty but also the protection of the route. From around E5 onward (getting into 5.12 and up kinda climbing) that is where falls have far greater chance of resulting in injury and death even if things are done right. The placement of gear becomes far between, you could have a first placement 3m up, then nothing else for 10m. All of the harder single pitch routes i have seen are very run out, almost to the point where i ask what is the purpose of placing any gear at all.

Put it this way, most people would not try to on sight a E6 unless climbing at least 8b sport.

Let me think, how else can i get to the level of 8b sport... with ought uhm... doing sport.

Btw, i read an article on one of holdings climbs. He top roped it a few times first before leading it if i recall. Not that im trying to take anything away from him as a fall would have been bad.. but your slightly delusional in thinking the avg climber has anything that resembles ''balls'' while climbing routes way below what he done. Do a vote if you want, i bet you my house most people on this site and world wide do not climb at such a level where the route can not protect properly against a serious fall. The in mind, if they are competent in placing gear then they are not that far off the safety margins of sport climbing.

Given the fact that you hang around longer while placing gear.. its logical that people downgrade more to stay within their endurance or strength limits.

Basically, in short.. your wrong.

(This post was edited by ceebo on May 23, 2011, 2:39 PM)

superchuffer

May 23, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #196 of 225 (10389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you ain't placin pro, then you ain't climbin!

spikeddem

May 23, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #197 of 225 (10341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
if you ain't placin pro, then you ain't climbin!
eye roll.

kennoyce

May 23, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #198 of 225 (10330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "jt512"]Quote:
Sport climbing takes less skill than crack climbing,

Baloney. Sport climbing does not require less skill than crack climbing, though it does require fewer skills. In sport climbing you don't need to know how to place gear, route find, self-rescue, find the descent, keep your head together on a runout, etc. But it doesn't take less skill. In sport climbing, the moves are harder and, contrary to what you've said below, less intuitive.

Quote:
Its more intuitive to pull down on a hold, hand jamming takes pratice and is not at "easy".

Your vision of what sport climbing entails is too limited. There is a hell of a lot more to it than "pulling down on holds." As an example, look at the first hard move on Hellraiser (5.12c) at Williamson Rock in SoCal. It goes something like this: From a right-hand gaston and a left-hand side-pull, stretch far out left with the left foot. Push with the right hand and pull with the left foot to rock over onto the left foot, while simultaneously bringing the right foot up into a high backstep and reaching with the left hand for a distant gaston. This puts you in a double-gaston-iron-cross-high-backstep. From this "intuitive" position, cross the right hand over the left, let the feet kick loose, reposition the feet on higher holds to the left, and deadpoint with the left hand to a jug.

I have found that most people fail to find this move intuitive. In contrast, the "sequence" up a crack is no secret.

-Jay

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-12-13 11:14 ][/quote]

Thanks for blowing the onsight for me Jay[;)]

jt512

May 23, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #199 of 225 (10325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] why are sport climbers dissed so much by trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
[quote "jt512"]Quote:
Sport climbing takes less skill than crack climbing,

Baloney. Sport climbing does not require less skill than crack climbing, though it does require fewer skills. In sport climbing you don't need to know how to place gear, route find, self-rescue, find the descent, keep your head together on a runout, etc. But it doesn't take less skill. In sport climbing, the moves are harder and, contrary to what you've said below, less intuitive.

Quote:
Its more intuitive to pull down on a hold, hand jamming takes pratice and is not at "easy".

Your vision of what sport climbing entails is too limited. There is a hell of a lot more to it than "pulling down on holds." As an example, look at the first hard move on Hellraiser (5.12c) at Williamson Rock in SoCal. It goes something like this: From a right-hand gaston and a left-hand side-pull, stretch far out left with the left foot. Push with the right hand and pull with the left foot to rock over onto the left foot, while simultaneously bringing the right foot up into a high backstep and reaching with the left hand for a distant gaston. This puts you in a double-gaston-iron-cross-high-backstep. From this "intuitive" position, cross the right hand over the left, let the feet kick loose, reposition the feet on higher holds to the left, and deadpoint with the left hand to a jug.

I have found that most people fail to find this move intuitive. In contrast, the "sequence" up a crack is no secret.

-Jay

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-12-13 11:14 ][/quote]

Thanks for blowing the onsight for me Jay[;)]

By the time they re-open Williamson we'll all be too old to pull that move off anyway.

Jay

jjones16

May 23, 2011, 8:21 PM
Post #200 of 225 (10690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jjones16 wrote:

Your right, nobody was.

Yeah im saying that, Our routes are graded with factor of death or injury in mind. Its not just about difficulty but also the protection of the route. From around E5 onward (getting into 5.12 and up kinda climbing) that is where falls have far greater chance of resulting in injury and death even if things are done right. The placement of gear becomes far between, you could have a first placement 3m up, then nothing else for 10m. All of the harder single pitch routes i have seen are very run out, almost to the point where i ask what is the purpose of placing any gear at all.

Put it this way, most people would not try to on sight a E6 unless climbing at least 8b sport.

Let me think, how else can i get to the level of 8b sport... with ought uhm... doing sport.

Btw, i read an article on one of holdings climbs. He top roped it a few times first before leading it if i recall. Not that im trying to take anything away from him as a fall would have been bad.. but your slightly delusional in thinking the avg climber has anything that resembles ''balls'' while climbing routes way below what he done. Do a vote if you want, i bet you my house most people on this site and world wide do not climb at such a level where the route can not protect properly against a serious fall. The in mind, if they are competent in placing gear then they are not that far off the safety margins of sport climbing.

Given the fact that you hang around longer while placing gear.. its logical that people downgrade more to stay within their endurance or strength limits.

Basically, in short.. your wrong.

So I'm wrong because I asked you to clarify your statement. Did I word the questions wrong? Do you not like answering them? Oh and by the way, you're absolutely right. I'm sure Leo Holding pretty much always top ropes every route he attempts, especially 16 pitches up. Good example.

One more minor thing...

"From around E5 onward (getting into 5.12 and up kinda climbing) that is where falls have far greater chance of resulting in injury and death even if things are done right."

and then, almost in the next breath you state:
"Do a vote if you want, i bet you my house most people on this site and world wide do not climb at such a level where the route can not protect properly against a serious fall."

So umm... which is it? And how big is your house?

(This post was edited by jjones16 on May 23, 2011, 8:27 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook