RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

grizzlyjane223

Jun 13, 2011, 4:49 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3571 views)
Shortcut

Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone please tell me how to change out the Laser pick to a Titan pick? I am pretty sure how to do it. I am very mechanically minded. I used the hex wrench they give you. Put it on the bolt, and couldn't even turn it and you're spose to be able to change this thing out in the field when you break it?? Then I got out my ratchet wrench (with a 6" handle) and put it on the bolt and STILL couldn't turn it! Now I am not a weakling. Is Black Diamond using red Loctite or something when they assemble this at the factory? Or does the one side have a nylon insert? I was confounded and put the darn thing back in it's resting place AND put my toolbox away. What am I doing wrong? And what do I need to know when I put the new Titan back on? Can anyone please help?

qwert

Jun 13, 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grizzlyjane223] Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like they might be very hard to replace.

The included toy wrench is obviously worthless, as is simply using the pick of you other tool.

I opened mine (on a viper, but it should be the same) with an ordinary wrench (also around 6") with some force. didnt find any loctite or similar stuff.

So obviously you are a weakling, and should give up climbing Wink

Maybe its rusted? I dont know if it has any negative side effects, but something like WD40 should help.

qwert

divnamite

Jun 13, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Attach the ice tool to a vise that's attached to a workbench. That's how I change picks on my BD tools.

Partner epoch

Jun 13, 2011, 3:09 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

grizzlyjane223 wrote:
Can anyone please tell me how to change out the Laser pick to a Titan pick? I am pretty sure how to do it. I am very mechanically minded. I used the hex wrench they give you. Put it on the bolt, and couldn't even turn it and you're spose to be able to change this thing out in the field when you break it?? Then I got out my ratchet wrench (with a 6" handle) and put it on the bolt and STILL couldn't turn it! Now I am not a weakling. Is Black Diamond using red Loctite or something when they assemble this at the factory? Or does the one side have a nylon insert? I was confounded and put the darn thing back in it's resting place AND put my toolbox away. What am I doing wrong? And what do I need to know when I put the new Titan back on? Can anyone please help?

You're not a weakling. Try harder. For some reason the factory sends their picks out with outrageously torqued bolts on their tools. Once you break the bolt free it will become easier. If you need, extend the handle of the ratchet. Afterwards, don't put the bolt back in as tight as you had to fight with. I like to have my bolt in tight, but only as tight as I can reasonably get it while using the pick on my other tool. I leave the provided wrench at home. You should be able to field change a pick using the other tool.

Also, after you change the pick you want to recheck the tightness of the bolt every so often, and tighten it down if you start to feel a bit of wobble, hear it while swinging, or experience some shift while moving on your tool.

jeepnphreak

Jun 13, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yer doing it right, just grow stronger. Pirate
What I do is place the pick (not the tool its self) in a bench vise and get some leverage in the hex with a 1/2 drive ratchet, no problem there getting the bolt loose. BD torques the hell out of their tools from the factory it seems

razrez

Jun 13, 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or better yet put the toy wrench in the vise. You then benefit from the cobra's shaft leverage.

shoo

Jun 13, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
grizzlyjane223 wrote:

You're not a weakling. Try harder. For some reason the factory sends their picks out with outrageously torqued bolts on their tools. Once you break the bolt free it will become easier. If you need, extend the handle of the ratchet. Afterwards, don't put the bolt back in as tight as you had to fight with. I like to have my bolt in tight, but only as tight as I can reasonably get it while using the pick on my other tool. I leave the provided wrench at home. You should be able to field change a pick using the other tool.

Also, after you change the pick you want to recheck the tightness of the bolt every so often, and tighten it down if you start to feel a bit of wobble, hear it while swinging, or experience some shift while moving on your tool.

+ 1. I really don't know why BD does this, but once you get it un-stuck, it works just fine.

Colinhoglund

Jun 13, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently they do this to mitigate liability with beginners not checking their equipment. It's my guess that a large chunk of the tools they sell never get used beyond the life of the original pick. Therefore they make em tight so the first and only 20 times they get used by someone who dabbles and quits they don't loosen. Makes sense, but its a bit of a pain.

Like many comments above I used a ratchet with a long arm to loosen the bolt, then tightened with the other tool to a point where I could remove the pick in the field. Try not to vice grip your carbon shaft, might cause some cracking, but hey who knows.

grizzlyjane223

Jun 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank You to All who replied to my delimma! Smile I'm sure NOW I will be abel to change that thing out!Blush

rocknice2

Jun 14, 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #10 of 13 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grizzlyjane223 wrote:
I am very mechanically minded.

Not to be an ass but it's counter clockwise to loosen.
the other guys are right. Mine were very tight when new.

grizzlyjane223

Jun 14, 2011, 1:06 AM
Post #11 of 13 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh Huh, righty tighty, lefty loosey. THANKS EVERYONE! I'll have you all know I bought a box-end wrench today and guess what? I just changed out my pick, putting the shaft inbetween my legs and grinning! Guess what boys...it doesn't take a bench vice?? Tongue Just a good pair of legs!Sly

anykineclimb

Jun 14, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you have a Man do it for you? Tongue

I kid!!!

In reply to:
putting the shaft inbetween my legs and grinning!
woah...

grizzlyjane223

Jun 15, 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Black Diamond Cobra Technical Ice Tool [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NO! I don't need a man to do my work for me! Tongue
Get your mind out of the gutter! Sly

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook