Premier Sponsor:

edge

Feb 17, 2012, 5:56 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4630 views)
Shortcut

Options for Shipping a Large Package Cross-Country
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping large packages via ground? I will be making a version of this bed for a client in Sacramento, leaving New Hampshire.

I would like to keep the head and footboard intact (i.e. not requiring any assembly on the customers end other than inserting the side rails.) It seems like the headboard (68" x 50" x 2") exceeds the maximum UPS dimensions. Total weight will probably be 150 lbs +/-, although I don't mind sending the headboard, footboard, and rails/stretchers in separate containers to keep the individual package weights manageable.

Anyone?

(This post was edited by edge on Feb 17, 2012, 5:59 PM)

Allfred

Feb 17, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Options for Shipping a Large Package Cross-Country [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

throw it in a kennel and strap it to the top of the car?

Oh, wait...

jt512

Feb 17, 2012, 7:09 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping large packages via ground? I will be making a version of this bed for a client in Sacramento, leaving New Hampshire.

[image]http://www.thosmoser.com/inc/scripts/image.php?file_id=7143&w=365&h=275&f=crop&mask=&file_cache_name=american_bungalow_bed_1[/image]

I would like to keep the head and footboard intact (i.e. not requiring any assembly on the customers end other than inserting the side rails.) It seems like the headboard (68" x 50" x 2") exceeds the maximum UPS dimensions. Total weight will probably be 150 lbs +/-, although I don't mind sending the headboard, footboard, and rails/stretchers in separate containers to keep the individual package weights manageable.

Anyone?

FedEx Ground or FedEx freight.

gmggg

Feb 17, 2012, 7:41 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Anyone?

You could palletize it and contact some freight companies and/or brokers.

You should be looking at a pretty low density pallet once you collapse everything and lay it flat. Most trucks can come equipped with liftgates so they can pick it up at your house by the curb and then drop it onto the sidewalk at your client's house. One benefit of palletizing will be a reduced chance of shipping damage; just make sure to put "don not topload" labels in a couple locations

UPS and FEDEX freight are kind of expensive for one-off shipments like this. I would start by contacting CH Robinson. They can get pretty good rates but I'm not 100% sure that they deal with small single shipments like this. Definitely worth a call though.

Also http://www.uship.com/ isn't a bad option for something going cross country like that, but it typically takes a bit longer to find a good deal.

If the total weight is less than 200 lbs. - which I bet it is - you can hope for something around $250-300 for the shipping. You'll need to figure out the palletized dimensions before getting quotes - and don't forget to include the pallet in the height and weight of your measurements.

edge

Feb 17, 2012, 7:45 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Options for Shipping a Large Package Cross-Country [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
edge wrote:

[image]http://www.thosmoser.com/inc/scripts/image.php?file_id=7143&w=365&h=275&f=crop&mask=&file_cache_name=american_bungalow_bed_1[/image]

Anyone?

FedEx Ground or FedEx freight.

Thanks Jay, although their website just quoted $900, which is a bit more than I was hoping to find.

edge

Feb 17, 2012, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Options for Shipping a Large Package Cross-Country [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Gmggg, I will definitely check into those. I was hoping to find something in the $300 or under range, and palletizing it sounds like a good idea, if maybe a bit overkill.

gmggg

Feb 17, 2012, 8:05 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Thanks Gmggg, I will definitely check into those. I was hoping to find something in the $300 or under range, and palletizing it sounds like a good idea, if maybe a bit overkill.

Let me know what you find. It's pretty tough to get good rates as an individual sometimes. If nothing shows up send me a PM an I'll see if there's anything I can do to help. Do you have any idea what the weight and dimensions will be when packed?

edge

Feb 17, 2012, 8:24 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Options for Shipping a Large Package Cross-Country [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
edge wrote:

Let me know what you find. It's pretty tough to get good rates as an individual sometimes. If nothing shows up send me a PM an I'll see if there's anything I can do to help. Do you have any idea what the weight and dimensions will be when packed?

If I put everything on one pallet, I am guesstimating it would measure 86" x 50" x 12" including the pallet, and maybe weigh 150 lbs.

Thanks man!

gmggg

Feb 17, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM sent

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username: