RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jamesnater

Nov 7, 2012, 8:55 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2682 views)
Shortcut

Repairing Rips/Tears/Holes in your Climbing Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I purchased Boreal Kintaro shoes probably about 3 to 5 months ago and have been using them quite a bit. They've been great so far. Comfortable, soft and sticky, etc. But the toe cap area where it connects to the tip of the sole has formed a tear/rip through the rubber.

You can see the stitching beneath the rubber, however you can't see toes or anything like that just yet. I bought them from REI, so I can take them back and exchange them, but I JUST got them broken in and perfect and I don't want to put my feet through another break-in period so soon. So I've been looking around for some type of adhesive of some sort that I can use to repair it.

Has anyone here ever done a repair like this? What did you use, what was your technique in applying it, and how well did it work (or how long did it last before ripping again)?

As a skateboarder, I've used shoe goo for YEARS. The stuff was GREAT, for skateboarding. I've even used shoe goo II (which comes in black) which worked even better. So I've been contemplating using that stuff again, however if there is a better product out there for climbing shoes, I'd really like to know what it is and where to get it. I really need this stuff to be more strong than sticky, because it feels like if I use the shoes any more, it will rip open even bigger.

The shoes have about another year of life on them it seems like. The soles are soft, but pretty thick around the edges.

(This post was edited by jamesnater on Nov 7, 2012, 8:57 PM)
Attachments: 440.jpg (36.4 KB)

gunkiemike

Nov 7, 2012, 9:11 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Repairing Rips/Tears/Holes in your Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop dragging your feet on the rock between holds.

Get the rand repaired when you send them in for half soles. Until then, see if the Goo works.

skellie

Nov 7, 2012, 9:19 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Repairing Rips/Tears/Holes in your Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd advise against returning them to REI. They will grant you a replacement, but climbing shoes are just something that wears out. As your technique improves, they will last longer. You can get them resoled at a company such as Rock N Resole. I've been very happy with them.
The best thing you can do is find your preferred shoe, get a couple pairs, and just keep cycling them to the resole place.

redlude97

Nov 7, 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Resole and rand repair is the way to go. Next time you need to have them resoled before you go through the rand. I've used shoe goo in emergencies but it tries hard and slick which isn't conducive to good footwork. Ended up having to have the rand repaired anyways.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook