RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

AO8

Mar 28, 2014, 12:24 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Mt. Hood, Oregon Sport Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all and happy climbing... Well that is if it's not raining and snowing where you're at. Here in the Northwest my fiance and I are getting shut down.

I had some questions for the climbing community who may be familiar with this area...

We are staying in White Salmon, Washington, and waiting to climb but the weather isn't cooperating.

I got the guidebook for "The Dump," aka the Bypass from the area developers... My question is how long does it take to dry out after a rain storm?

Also, is the Mt Hood area too snowed in this year? I have called the ranger stations and nobody has any information.

I'm interested in climbing Bulo Point, Area 51, Salmon River Slabs, and I know its a long shot, but French's Dome as well. And if we can the little local crag in White Salmon "The Bypass."

Any and all information would be great. We are visiting family on our way to Smith Rock and hoping to catch a break weather wise.

As far as I know its either too wet currently or buried in snow.

*crosses fingers*

Thanks all.

jeb013

Mar 28, 2014, 3:43 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AO8] Mt. Hood, Oregon Sport Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i doubt you could even get to bulo and area 51 right now, the road is probably mud and/or snow. french's and salmon slab are close to each other, frenchs takes a day or two to dry out and salmon slab can dry in a day if the sun is shining on it (afternoons). Right now your best bet is to road trip to Smith or Vantage depending which one is closer. you may see showers but usually they will dry out quickly.

AO8

Mar 28, 2014, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeb013] Mt. Hood, Oregon Sport Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This weather is killing us. We aren't supposed to see sunshine for almost a week from today. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Got too spoiled in California.

Bishop, Yosemite, and Santa Cruz were epic this season.

dagibbs

Mar 31, 2014, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:
This weather is killing us. We aren't supposed to see sunshine for almost a week from today. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Got too spoiled in California.

Bishop, Yosemite, and Santa Cruz were epic this season.

Ah, yes. Welcome to the Pacific north-wet.

ronldoc

Apr 1, 2014, 8:32 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greetings from the Midwest. Climbed out at Smith Rock a couple of years ago in August, with my two daughters. Stopped briefly for a lunch-snack at the Salmon River "slabs". A half dozen short, mid-5 sport routes, one can drive right up to a decent parking/picnic spot. Right off interstate , just before Mt Hood, en route from Portland. Fun couple of hours of warm up and hangin' out. Just hiked the Cooper's Spur on Mt. Hood, but saw a couple of intrepid souls ski from the top down to glacier areas! Smith Rock area is great.

AO8

Apr 1, 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ronldoc] Mt. Hood, Oregon Sport Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we made it to Smith today and it started snowing. AHHHHHHHH!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Probably just end up at the gym tomorrow. This is a bummer. I've climbed frenchs dome, rocky butte, salmon slabs, broughton bluff, and even taken a look at the "dump" across the river in white salmon. This year the weather has been against us.

Arg.
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook