RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

indiesummit

Feb 4, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1212 views)
Shortcut

'Roid Rage
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, here goes...

I think that like any other sport involving competitive personalities, you'll run into those who use illegal performance-enhancers to up the ante. I'm not laying blame or pointing fingers, but what do you think about grades of climbs / accomplishments that could perhaps have been influenced by these substances?

Personally, I think it naive to say that climbers are above doing it (Hell, I might if it didn't make Big Jim and The Twins run for cover J/K) and I've actually heard whispered rumours in back alley bars about famous climbers doping...other than the comps testing and me not ever hearing about a positive result..it seems like sort of a taboo topic. Which leads me to elicit the response of the good, open-minded folk here...

What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: indiesummit on 2002-02-04 15:10 ]

ratstar

Feb 4, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1212 views)
Shortcut

'Roid Rage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah um I smoke alot of crack before I climb. And so do alot of people on this site. Like rrradam, piano, ahhh the list goes on but I can't remember them cause I smoke way to much crack. I think piano is the coolest man alive.

daisuke

Feb 4, 2002, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1212 views)
Shortcut

'Roid Rage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't care how many grades more I can climb with steriods, I'm not about to mess up my body with their short term and long term side effects for a short term increase in performance. I think I hurt myself enough with scrapes bruises and cuts from regular climbing, don't want to add more to it on top of that.

That point aside I really guess that it's up to every person to choose whether they want to acheive short term goals like winning comps or breaking a new route at the expense of long term damage. Let's put it this way, if you put nitros on a car engine you'll get a tremendous burst of power at the cost of engine life and if you don't do it the right way (which most don't) you can make the engine explode quite easily

As for the moral issue of competition climbers using them or any other drug to improve performance for a win, I think it's wrong, as it is in every other sport, since it gives the athlete an edge over his adversaries that otherwise would not exist. in escence it's cheating and there should be tests to prevent and detect their use.

D

[ This Message was edited by: daisuke on 2002-02-04 15:19 ]

clipngo

Feb 4, 2002, 11:32 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1212 views)
Shortcut

'Roid Rage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What a lot of people may not realize is that although steroids do increase muscle strength, they do not increase tendon strength proportionately. I am sure most of us (ie. me)have enough problems keeping our tendons in check without putting them at a disadvantage.

daggerx

Feb 6, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1212 views)
Shortcut

'Roid Rage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

None of that stuff helps, I would'nt think.
I used creatine for a wile "not like they say you should" it did not even give me more engery like it says it would, but maby if i took it like suggested it would have.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook