Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
A 'Trad'itional Climbing Wedding Announcement!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Jun 11, 2004, 1:38 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

A 'Trad'itional Climbing Wedding Announcement!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to share that blueeyedclimber and I will be married next Saturday, and we've based our whole wedding and honeymoon around climbing! I am so excited to spend the rest of my life with my best friend and climbing partner, and want to brag about the cool details of our untrad wedding that involves a little 'trad' climbing!

We decided to get married at a gazebo at the base of White Horse Ledge in North Conway, NH at 7am and then climb up. Later in the evening we will meet our friends and family for a reception, and then it's off to Thailand for two weeks of sport climbing in Krabi!

Our invitations gave people the choice of going to the ceremony, reception, or both. The RSVP cards were actual postcards of White Horse and Cathedral Ledge. We were suprised that so many folks RSVP'd for the 7am ceremony, but people are excited to go to this type of wedding and want to see us off!

We have had 3 practice runs of our wedding climb and have determined that there is no way we can do the entire climb and then possibly get all dolled up and ready for our reception. White Horse is over 300 ft and about 7 pitches. The route itself is over 1000 feet in length. It's a popular route, involves a lot of waiting around and we are beginners at multipitch so we are likely also part of the hold up. We have decided to climb a few pitches and then rap down which will give us time to relax a little and get ready for the day. My coworkers have given me a veil which I will attach to my climbing helmet!

We also registered at REI and got some aliens, cams, rap rings, biners, camping gear and a whole ton of great stuff at my bridal shower that will be put to great use!

So, cross your fingers for no rain next weekend! No matter what, this will be the best day of my life and a kick off to many years of romantic adventures with my best friend and climbing partner!

Blueeyedclimber and wonderwoman are gettin' hitched!! Yeehaaww!

Partner honeyhiker

Jun 11, 2004, 2:01 PM
Post #2 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Re: A 'Trad'itional Climbing Wedding Announcement! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations! :D

What a wonderful wedding for a perfect couple. What a great idea for wedding presents, you get a bigger rack along with a climbing husband. It all sounds perfect. The best of luck to you both. I'll be sure to cross my fingers to help with the weather.

Chris

ecocliffchick

Jun 11, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be careful with a veil and a rap device!

winglady

Jun 11, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 14 years ago, 2 of our friends got married at Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. The wedding ceremony took place at the top of a route (bride, groom, attendants and minister climbed up, changed clothes at the top, then clipped in by the edge of the route to perform the ceremony). After the ceremony, bride and groom rappeled side by side to the waiting group of friends below.

The bride's gown was carefully designed with long slits up the sides, and she had somehow tucked aside all the gown material normally in front. She wore biking shorts under the gown, in case you were wondering.

maww

Jun 11, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #5 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like a lovely and very original wedding - I like it.

Best of luck to you & blueeyed climber on your big day and your new life together. :)

Partner nextascent

Jun 11, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats to you!!!! You may want to post this in community as well...it's a great story.

Here's to a lifetime of happiness!!!! 8^)

*lifts her glass* Cheers!

deleted
Deleted

Jun 11, 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #7 of 23 (2431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! What a beautiful place to get married. I love what you guys are doing! Congratulations! I'll cross my fingers for good weather too.
All the best.

spider_woman

Jun 13, 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #8 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is sooo AWESOME!!! I wish you good weather, good rock, and a lifetime of happiness. Congratulations!!!!!

:D

blueeyedclimber

Jun 14, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #9 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you get a bigger rack along with a climbing husband. Chris

Wow!, is this true?

marcallain

Jun 14, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #10 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What climb are you doing??

wonderwoman

Jun 14, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #11 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are doing Standard Direct. but we will likely climb to the lunch ledge and then rap down. Otherwise we might not make it to the reception in time! We will exchange our personal vows right before rapping down.

Right now the weather says partly cloudy. Yesterday it said isolated T storms for our wedding day, yikes! If it rains, we'll have to figure something out. We already did the climb in the rain, but I was not happy about it!

mountainchick82

Jun 15, 2004, 3:16 AM
Post #12 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All the best to you. That is something like I would want if I ever find the right guy. I'm very happy for you both even though I don't know you. Good luck and have fun on the honeymoon! :)

marcallain

Jun 15, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, thats great! Hopefully the weather will turn out great!!

Maybe i'll read about it when i'm in NC in a few weekends!

Enjoy the day, both of you!

rckclimbergurl

Jun 22, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #14 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All the best to you. That is something like I would want if I ever find the right guy. I'm very happy for you both even though I don't know you. Good luck and have fun on the honeymoon! :)

ditto! :D

happyblue

Jun 24, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #15 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats! Sounds like a blast! =)

overlord

Jun 24, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats. hope its a hapy and lasting one.

mountainchick82

Jun 25, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Updates Updates!!!!

How did the wedding go?? Hows the honeymoon?? :) Fill us all in!

blueeyedclimber

Jul 14, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Updates Updates!!!!

How did the wedding go?? Hows the honeymoon?? :) Fill us all in!

Everything was PERFECT! We actually had to bail on our wedding ceremony climb due to rain, so we went hiking with friends and family instead. It was great! We hiked up the side of Whitehorse to the top of our intended climb. It rained for much of the way up and when we got to the top the clouds broke and you could see for miles. After the hike, we went to the reception hall to set up before the guests arrived. The reception was a blast; NO corny DJ or bad music, NO cake-cutting ceremony (or cake for that matter), NO head table, just a kick-ass party.

After the reception, we headed straight to the airport and off to Thailand. We spent about 10 days on Railay and climbed 8 of those days. It took us a while to get used to the protection there, some of it is a little sketchy. The areas we climbed at were 1,2,3 Crag, Maui Thai, HescherWorld, Thaiwand wall, Dum's Kitchen, Tonsai Beach, Fire Wall, and by the Princess Cave. Our favorite areas were on Tonsai Beach. WE had such a good time, we definitely want to go back.

Besides climbing, some of our highlights were witnessing a monkey raid on a restaurant, participating in 'Happy Hour' at the bars (which during low season is all the time), playing beach volleyball with the resort staff, and NOT seeing any snakes.

WE will try to post some pics soon.

Josh and Tiff

caughtinside

Jul 14, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It took us a while to get used to the protection there, some of it is a little sketchy.

That's an understatement. I would have said 'terrifying' instead of 'sketchy' but whatever. :lol:
Congrats!

mountainchick82

Jul 15, 2004, 2:55 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good to hear you had a great wedding experience! :) Congrats again and I hope its filled with many more happy memories.

shouldbeworking

Jul 19, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Josh and Tiff-- I just registered on this thing so I could wish you congratulations. It was nice to meet you guys in Railay... That place is absolutely the bomb! We just got back and sorted through the over 200 climbing pictures we took- including those of the monkey raid on the restaurant...and the interesting "thread" protection... Best Wishes... Ben and Amy (from Chicago)....

Code

wonderwoman

Sep 17, 2004, 1:43 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Finally, some of our wedding pics are posted and I just wanted to share! We didn't get to climb because it was so wet, but we did have a beautiful wedding. I hope to have more Thailand pictures posted soon. Here are some good ones from our 7am wedding ceremony with Whitehorse Ledge in the background (where we were suposed ot have our wedding climb):

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ographer=wonderwoman

In reply to:

Everything was PERFECT! We actually had to bail on our wedding ceremony climb due to rain, so we went hiking with friends and family instead. It was great! We hiked up the side of Whitehorse to the top of our intended climb. It rained for much of the way up and when we got to the top the clouds broke and you could see for miles. After the hike, we went to the reception hall to set up before the guests arrived. The reception was a blast; NO corny DJ or bad music, NO cake-cutting ceremony (or cake for that matter), NO head table, just a kick-ass party.

After the reception, we headed straight to the airport and off to Thailand. We spent about 10 days on Railay and climbed 8 of those days. It took us a while to get used to the protection there, some of it is a little sketchy. The areas we climbed at were 1,2,3 Crag, Maui Thai, HescherWorld, Thaiwand wall, Dum's Kitchen, Tonsai Beach, Fire Wall, and by the Princess Cave. Our favorite areas were on Tonsai Beach. WE had such a good time, we definitely want to go back.

Besides climbing, some of our highlights were witnessing a monkey raid on a restaurant, participating in 'Happy Hour' at the bars (which during low season is all the time), playing beach volleyball with the resort staff, and NOT seeing any snakes.

WE will try to post some pics soon.

Josh and Tiff
http://

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 17, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Albeit, late - Congrats on your recent wedding and honeymoon! The pics are fantastic - what a unique and special wedding it must have been! Sure beats the hell out of the boring standard traditional ones ;)

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook