RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

rockgirlCO

Sep 23, 2009, 7:26 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3148 views)
Shortcut

trad rack bruises - I've joined the club
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm sort of ressurrecting an old thread that discussed how bruised and "battered" we get while trad climbing. I just started trad leading this summer. Last time I went was Sunday. Last night was the first look I had at my right thigh. It was dotted with bruises. I thought: oh, must've been that squeeze through rough rock that did that.

Ding ding ding. The bell went off in my head as I recalled the previous thread here about bruising from carrying trad gear. Yep. I'm bruise speckled, from pointy cams no doubt.

Not sure I'm happy about being in this "club". And I would never have thought of myself as easy-to-bruise. But, there you go.Unimpressed

clausti

Sep 23, 2009, 9:58 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgirlCO] trad rack bruises - I've joined the club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to be fair, this is worthless without pictures.

smallclimber

Sep 25, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgirlCO] trad rack bruises - I've joined the club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something to watch out for while seconding trad is getting hit in the face with the draw as you prepare to take the gear out. This seemed to happen to me a lot when I started climbing. I would climb towards the piece of gear, a small amount of slack would build up in the rope and then the leader would pull up the rope hard, jerking the draw up and the biner on the gear end would hit me in the face/eye/teeth. Much worse than bruises on the thighs! Somehow it doesn't happen any more, I think a combination of me being more aware of the situation and the leader not keeping the rope so tight any more.

granite_grrl

Sep 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] trad rack bruises - I've joined the club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

smallclimber wrote:
Something to watch out for while seconding trad is getting hit in the face with the draw as you prepare to take the gear out. This seemed to happen to me a lot when I started climbing. I would climb towards the piece of gear, a small amount of slack would build up in the rope and then the leader would pull up the rope hard, jerking the draw up and the biner on the gear end would hit me in the face/eye/teeth. Much worse than bruises on the thighs! Somehow it doesn't happen any more, I think a combination of me being more aware of the situation and the leader not keeping the rope so tight any more.
That sounds....unpleasant. Thankfully, I avoided this particular rite of passage (though my face has certainly not avoided some of the other "fun" experiences given to me both trad climbing and ice climbing).

carabiner96

Sep 26, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] trad rack bruises - I've joined the club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
smallclimber wrote:
That sounds....unpleasant. Thankfully, I avoided this particular rite of passage (though my face has certainly not avoided some of the other "fun" experiences given to me both trad climbing and ice climbing).

WanderlustMD took a chunk out of my tooth that way. It was really no one's fault than mine for climbing with my mouth open...but I still like him to think it was his own fault for taking so jerkily!

tedman

Oct 15, 2009, 5:15 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] trad rack bruises - I've joined the club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wait til you blow a piece you are bounce testing/weighting on an aid climb. Only takes one supersonic nut to the face to realize that they arnt joking when they say dont look at the piece when you are testing itPirate

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook