RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

spiderlady

Mar 31, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #1 of 13 (18515 views)
Shortcut

Women's Climbing Clothes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I see a lot of emphasis on men's climbing pants, but I don't hear a lot about women's climbing clothes. What do you prefer to climb in? Do you have any women climbing specific clothing or do you just wear whatever? What pants/tops are your favorite?

base_jumpx

Apr 1, 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #2 of 13 (18508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spiderlady] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spiderlady wrote:
I see a lot of emphasis on men's climbing pants, but I don't hear a lot about women's climbing clothes. What do you prefer to climb in? Do you have any women climbing specific clothing or do you just wear whatever? What pants/tops are your favorite?

why does ever site have a stupid sales/marketing scam?

spiderlady

Apr 1, 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #3 of 13 (18476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [base_jumpx] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, no scam here. Don't know why you thought that. Just wondering what you like to wear? What is your favorite pants? I was looking at Prana, but it is so expensive, I was just wondering if girls even wear that stuff. The guys I climb with get all giddy about their prana pants, but none of the girls I climb with do.

clee03m

Apr 2, 2012, 4:29 AM
Post #4 of 13 (18463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have wide range of pants from patagucci to target clearance to goodwill. Seems like yoga pants work well for me for most routes, but I do have few climbing pants I reserve for long multipitch days. I have a few thicker warmer pants that are more technical for colder days.

Maybe women aren't as obsessed with pants because we don't have to worry about squished testicles?

granite_grrl

Apr 2, 2012, 1:51 PM
Post #5 of 13 (18453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am generally dissapointed with the pants/shorts made by climbing companies. Compared to the mens bottoms the material seems to be flimsier. Sure it looks great and feels nice, but at the end of the day I want my pants to take some abuse. The cost of a pair of Prana pants just isn't worth it to me considering how long they last.

I usually wear yoga pants now. They're cheap, offer good movement. No, they don't last any longer than a pair of Prana pants, but they cost 1/4 of the price.

It's still a big beef of mine that I can't get clothes that are of same caliber for women as what's offered for men. I want these pants: http://www.prana.com/...ml?color=Cargo Green not these pants: http://www.prana.com/...ant.html?color=Hydro

lena_chita

Apr 2, 2012, 4:36 PM
Post #6 of 13 (18445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

When it comes to pants, I have not been able to find any "climbing pants" (e.i. bottoms with a fly/zipper), that I liked.

I have climbed in Mountain Khakis, and I concede that there is a certain advantage to sturdy pants made out of thicker fabric on climbs that are likely to have potential high-abrasion situations (usually associated in my mind with gear climbs and chimneys). But I simply cannot imagine doing a sport climb at my limit in anything other than strethy yoga pants. Maybe it is because of how I climb-- a lot of heel hooks above my head-- but I just can't do it in canvas-like pants with "a bit of a stretch" to the fabric.

Verve makes awesome "yoga" climbing pants, I love them, but they are pricey. Regular stretchy yoga pants, as long as they don't have the drawstring waist, work great, too, and are much cheaper. Though Verve is still worth the $$s, IMO, I think I'd but them, but I am lucky ennough to have someone else who got them for me.

Climbing tops, otoh, I had a very good experience with actual "climbing" tops. Patagonia, Stonewear Design, and Verve.

LOVE their stuff, though Ptagonia used to be much better before they became so much of a lifestyle clothing company. I wish the Mesh tank top would come back someday... 6 years and counting on the one that I have. Why didn't I buy 5 of them?

Stonewear Designs is awesome fit for me, but I don't always like their color/pattern choices, too "flowery". I think I have every one of their solid-color ones though.

And Verve is THE place to get a sports bra for smaller women climbers. Never seen anything half-as-comfortable as the Verve bras.

climbingbetty22

Apr 3, 2012, 1:59 PM
Post #7 of 13 (18402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a pretty big Patagonia fan as I've had good luck with things from them. Their stuff is pricey, but the fact that they guarantee it for life more then makes up for it I find. Their warranty department is really great.

On the whole I really like climbing in the Rock Guide Pants & Shorts, though I notice they discontinue them this season. I must be one of the only chicks who *doesnt* look good in yoga pants, so I prefer pants with a little more "structure." The Rock Guides are light weight nylons, very nice in the hot summer, but with a layer underneath, can be good for 3 seasons. In the really early spring on late fall, I'm usually wearing a light soft shell pant with various layers underneath depending on the weather. I find these to be the most versatile options for climbing pants, for me anyways.

clee03m

Apr 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #8 of 13 (18368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One pair I really love and think is as well made as any men's pants is fron Mountain Hardware. I think they are Yuma pants though mine are convertable. Soft and comfy, durable, wicks water, dries fast, convertable to shorts, and has usable pockets out of harness and climbing way. And for those who care, they are cute and flattering. I swear I get no kick back from MH.

gblauer

Apr 4, 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #9 of 13 (18363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Lena, I love my Verve lida capris and pants. That said, I think LuLu Lemon has really cute stuff, alas, it doesn't hold up on the rock (or even indoor climbing).

I find that my Verves only last a couple of seasons. They get holes etc from catching on the rock. They also fade quite a bit. I keep meaning to wash them inside out, but, I keep forgetting. Ah...the joys of aging.

clumsy

Apr 4, 2012, 1:24 AM
Post #10 of 13 (18354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in either stretchy yoga/workout pants or, in summer, in Eddie Bauer capri which made out of some amazing stretchy fabric, light and very comfortable.

eskim1018

Apr 8, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #11 of 13 (18295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi All,
Jumping on this thread, I wanted to see if anyone was interested in some gently used "climbing" pants. The only thing "climbing" about them is that they're by prana, comfy pants for bouldering/gym. I'm cleaning out my closet. I have 3 pairs of prana pants. They're capris. Comfy, stretchy and cute. They're all XS in size though. I had a baby last year and there is no way I will ever be able to fit into these again. They're from my very skinny days. If there's no interest I'll just donate to the good will but thought someone here might make good use of these. If you're interested I just ask that you pay for postage for shipping and I'll drop them off in the mail to you! They'll be sent out from the SF Bay Area.

3 pairs:
-1 pair lavendar (very much typical "yoga"pants)
-1 pair baby blue (capris with draw string and cute slit at the bottom of the legs)
1 pair black pants (same exact as the baby blue pants, I loved these so much I got them in both colors)

(see image attached)
Attachments: pants2.jpg (29.2 KB)

dmgraziano

Apr 23, 2012, 9:53 PM
Post #12 of 13 (18051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm petite so I really like Arcteryx for mountaineering and alpine climbing. It's expensive though. For crag climbing, I've worn Prana and Marmot the most. REI has changed alot over the years and does offer a better selection than they used to. Hope that helps.

WithMirth

May 2, 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #13 of 13 (17927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eskim1018] Women's Climbing Clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd totally get some use out of them! How much do you think shipping would be to SLC, UT?

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook