About Devils Punchbowl:
Sport climbing on conglomerate rock.
Personal opinion #1: target other areas . The rock is largely choss and a sore excuse for climbing in California. This is just the opinion of one climber. I definitely invite other opinions!
Opinion #2: Actually a very good sport climbing area. True the rock can be a little friable, but some of the routes here would be classic in any area. I would highly recommend such routes as Joke Book 5.9, Black Listed 5.11a, Big Electric Cat 5.12a, Diminishing Returns 5.12a, and Misguided 5.12c. Some of the longer trad routes in D.P. Proper are pretty good as well. Roughster
|Nearest town or city:||Lancaster/Palmdale|
|Directions:||From the LA Area:
- Take I-5 North to the (14) North/East. Exit onto the Pearblosom HWY heading East.
- At the intersection with the (138) turn right (East) onto the (138).
- After heading through a few little po-dunk towns (Little Rock and Pearblossom proper), turn right onto Long View Rd (in between two little convinence stores).
- Head South on Longview till it dead ends. Turn left, then 100 feet turn right back onto Long View!
- Continue on Longview then turn left onto Tumbleweed Rd/Punchbowl Rd This will take you to a paid ($3) parking lot.
From Riverside/San Bernardino Area:
- Take the (91) North till it turns into the (215).
- Keep going North until it then turns into the (15) and then KEEP going north.
- Exit the (15) in Cajon Pass at the Lake Silverwood/(138) Exit.
- Turn LEFT and go WEST on the (138)
- Turn LEFT on Long View and then follow the directions as above.
|When to Climb:||Spring|
|Quantity of Climbs:||Month|
Forum Discussions (7 posts)
|Unknown route||ianmeister89||2||Feb 11 2015, 3:19 PM|
|Cracked Hold @ Gorilla Face||ilikepargo||3||Jun 01 2011, 12:22 AM|
|Gorilla Face Hawks||ilikepargo||4||Jul 03 2010, 4:35 PM|
|ANY lower grad trad/sport climbs near palmdale? 5.6-5.9?||rocjock||8||Nov 06 2007, 6:38 AM|
|Pucnhbowl Partners||hdiddy||2||Mar 30 2006, 12:28 AM|
|info on devils punchbowl?||swohletz||3||Feb 17 2003, 8:07 PM|
|Am I stupid?||beethovenboy||16||Nov 05 2002, 1:10 AM|