RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

snowbud50

Feb 19, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

acme gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I am new to rock climbing and would like to buy some gear. Has anyone heard of acme gear? Is it worth starting up with one of their packages? Is it safe gear?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

blueeyedclimber

Feb 19, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Re: acme gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where do you think Wile E. Coyote gets all his stuff?

johnathon78

Feb 19, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Acmeclimbing.com is only a distributor of gear. They sell products from other companies on their site. I bought a couple of peices of gear from their site and would totally reccomend them.

pawilkes

Feb 19, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in general, climbing gear isn't going to be on the market unless its safe. the difference between high priced items and low priced items will be in how well thought out and refined the product is. this will result in gear that is easier to use (and/or lighter weight) which can result in a safer product. if you buy cheap, heavy, hard to use gear you may not be as likely to use it. its like a seatbelt in a car, it doesn't do you any damn good unless you buckle it.

pea_tear_griffin

Feb 19, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #5 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the deluxe climbing package from acmegear.com and it works perfectly for what I do (TR and boulder in the gym 2-3 times a week). I feel that it was well worth my $110.

rokshoxbkr19

Feb 19, 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gear on from Acme is all fine, but the company sux. Their customer service blows and they are usually out of gear. I have simply not had good experiences with them and I own a guiding company. www.gearexpress.com is by far the best overall gear site out there. Feel free to PM me for advice on what gear to buy and where to get it. I can make some great recommendations. later

jackhammer

Feb 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend them. They're quick and accurate, and you can't beat their prices.

Partner csgambill

Feb 20, 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The gear on from Acme is all fine, but the company sux. Their customer service blows and they are usually out of gear. I have simply not had good experiences with them and I own a guiding company. www.gearexpress.com is by far the best overall gear site out there. Feel free to PM me for advice on what gear to buy and where to get it. I can make some great recommendations. later

Props to Illinois companies. :-D I buy a ton of my gear from gearexpress.com . Actually just snagged a new rope and some biners from them yesterday. Good company, good people. Hopefully they won't give me a gay colored rope.

cor

Feb 22, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acmee? sounds scetchy but I realy dont know about that gear. but if you want tha absolute best climbing gear (and you do) stick to brands like blackdimond, metoleous, petzel, fetherd frends, the good stuf, Think about it you are gowing rock climbing your ass is on the line do you realy want gear that is second best, when you are 1000 feet up totaly griped on a run out nasty 5.9+ finger crack and you rech 4 a trango cam or a acme cam you will say DAAAMEEE I shoud have spent the extra 10 bucks a cam and gotten some alens and some camolots

sory about the bad spelling

nthusiastj

Feb 22, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've bought stuff from them with no complaints.
See this thread about some gear from them.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p?t=70048&highlight=

Partner taino

Feb 22, 2005, 8:17 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Just wanted to make sure the above-quoted text got noticed. Good call, Eric - Starved Rock Outfitters (aka GearExpress.com) has ALWAYS done well by me, and I would recommend them without reservation.

To the O.P. - if you look on gearexpress.com and don't see what you're looking for, call them directly; chances are excellent that they either have it and it's not online, or they'll put it together for you.

T

onbelay510

Feb 22, 2005, 8:40 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't had any problems with them. Exchanges went quickly too.

rvbdgroupy968

Feb 25, 2005, 2:42 PM
Post #13 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought 10 draws from acme and i love them. I was able to get them really cheap and they are really smooth. I love how climbers always want to spend the least amount of money possible and still get gear that will keep them alive....ahh what a sport

urbanfood

Mar 1, 2005, 7:16 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a year or so ago when i was buying all my trad gear, i spent hours on the web looking around. i ended up buying pretty much everything from gearexpress.com. even when i found a set of cams cheaper at another site, i called gearexpress and they matched it (i'd rather give my money to them because they are great and easy to deal with). also when i wanted to buy a rope i called them up and spoke with for about ten mintues on which rope is better, etc. customer service goes a long way in my book.

bilias

Mar 1, 2005, 7:27 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also recommend gearexpress.com. They've given me nothing but great, friendly service. I feel like they care more about their customers than the people at the local shops in my hometown. It's worth checking out at the very least.

baigot

Mar 1, 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should recomend www.rockempire.com

You can find some very good prices there, and there´s some of the gear you could find in gearexpress or acme...but cheaper...

Yes, if you have the money to buy a BD Camalot BUY IT...but u can buy a bounch of rock empire cams for the price of 1 camalot. (advice: avoid number 5 of RE robots, tends to walk).

Vicente

jackhammer

Mar 1, 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's good to go, but I would stay away from packages that include shoes...those need to be tried on in the store.

too_far_gone

Mar 1, 2005, 1:14 PM
Post #18 of 18 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a few hotwires from Acme. About two months later all of the caribeaners on the bolt end of the draw were sticking. I cleaned two of them and they work fine now, but I had to retire the other two. A friend of mine has had the same problem. I don't know about the other gear on the site, but I wouldn't recommend their quickdraws.

If you are patient you can shop around and find draws for almost as cheap as acme. Gearexpress.com was selling omega draws for 10.95 on their sales page. Just look around, you will be able to find good prices on good gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook