Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

hfgdt

Feb 21, 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #1 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

please!!!! Never go to this gym!!!!!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TCA
toronto climbing army.
I've never been treated so poorly.
I've even spoken with others that have gone to this gym. All think the nazi ethics should go.
when was the last time you took a blay test for $2 just to boulder?
people that were there to watch and hang out. Were made to pay full price. Plus $2 blay test and they were not going to climb.
The gym itself is great but the staff and owner (nazis)
sorry to go on about this but It really pissed me off.

We've been to four other gyms and nothing like this has happened.
ROCK OASIS was great!! staff were great and the routes. great bouldering.
THE PAD was great. staff too great bouldering not much routes
ROCK AND CHALK great it was like a fun house room after room of problems and cool routes.
JOE ROCKHEADS the same. it was great
TCA SUCKED routes great. problems great staff poop poo
If all the gyms in the world closed down. I would build my own before going here again.
my point is
I have no point .
thanx
gary

geezergecko

Feb 21, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #2 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Re: please!!!! Never go to this gym!!!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"No climbing for you, one whole year!"

Yup, they are an uptight lot alright. Maybe they are going for the S&M climber market? "Ve vill vhip you into shape, no!". The place is kept spotless clean. Very teutonic if you catch my drift.

jt512

Feb 21, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #3 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Blay"?

How old are you?

saskclimber

Feb 21, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #4 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont you mean the toronto climbing academy?
http://www.climbingacademy.com/

hfgdt

Feb 21, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #5 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Blay"?

How old are you?
Who cares about spelling.
belay, b-lay, lay of the B, bee lai
my age should not matter either.
so I'm 42
sooo.... :lol:

veganboyjosh

Feb 21, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the things you mentioned (everyone having to take a belay test, even the nonclimbing hanging out people, everyone having to pay to enter...) don't seem that unreasonable. if i was running abusiness, i wouldn't want a bunch of non paying people just hanging out, even if they weren't actively engaged in the sport/business.
if they wanna hang out somewhere for free, go outside.

shank

Feb 21, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #7 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the things you mentioned (everyone having to take a belay test, even the nonclimbing hanging out people, everyone having to pay to enter...) don't seem that unreasonable. if i was running abusiness, i wouldn't want a bunch of non paying people just hanging out, even if they weren't actively engaged in the sport/business.

Plus you would have to have someone watch to make sure non of those nonpaying people got on the plastic, which could get difficult.

veganboyjosh

Feb 21, 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #8 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Plus you would have to have someone watch to make sure non of those nonpaying people got on the plastic, which could get difficult.

exactly. who's the first to get sued when one of these "non-climbing" people falls and gets hurt?

hfgdt

Feb 21, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #9 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I knew this was going to happen so.
I figured I save it .
The person had a broken ankle.
(unable to climb)
just wanted to watch.
I can see the fact of charging. You must make money but when the person is unable to climb.
I know should have stayed home but when that person is driving what do ya do.
sorry about the crap
but this is silly
I wasnt going to write anything but i thought maybe some thing could get done about a spectator fee or bouldering fee and roped fee
but what do i know im new

climbingnurse

Feb 22, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #10 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been to the city of Toronto and know nothing about this gym, but:

You have just gone public in a fairly widely viewed medium and made a long list of allegations about a group of people. You have provided us with NO information about yourself. One of the most cowardly acts a person can engage in is to stand behind a curtain and call someone names.

Are you really 42? Because this behavior is more typical of a 12 year old. (Apologies to any 12 year olds who might be reading this.)

static_endurance

Feb 22, 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #11 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been to TCA, I've heard good stuff about their walls though. It seems a bit strange that they'd make you pay for a belay lesson if you're bouldering, but since they have no idea who you are, they're better safe then sorry. I work in a small gym in oakville, and I've watched people clip into ropes then ask what they're supposed to do now as the climber starts up the wall.
I've had friends hurt themselves climbing then just come along the next time to belay and nothing else, and they didn't have to pay. Then again, we're at the rock oasis pretty much every saturday night, so they know who we are, that we know our stuff and that we're not going to screw around. They probably did that at TCA just to cover their own butts.

Of course, they don't make you do a belay test at the pad, but they're known more for their fantastic bouldering than anything else.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 22, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #12 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh come on people. This second-guessing is what makes me hate the internet sometimes.

If I go into a restaraunt with friends, sit down, and chat for a while while they eat, I am not expected to pay. I didn't eat, why SHOULD I pay? It's completely absurd to say that parents watching their kids climb should have to pay the full price, regardless of the fact that they're just sitting there. Are you really serious about supporting that, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing??? :roll:

I wouldn't go to a gym like this either. :?

Partner coldclimb

Feb 22, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #13 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

coldclimb moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb moved this thread from Indoor Gyms to Regional Discussions.

kachoong

Feb 22, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #14 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh come on people. This second-guessing is what makes me hate the internet sometimes.

If I go into a restaraunt with friends, sit down, and chat for a while while they eat, I am not expected to pay. I didn't eat, why SHOULD I pay? It's completely absurd to say that parents watching their kids climb should have to pay the full price, regardless of the fact that they're just sitting there. Are you really serious about supporting that, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing??? :roll:

....couldn't have said it better myself....

kubi

Feb 22, 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #15 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I go into a restaraunt with friends, sit down, and chat for a while while they eat, I am not expected to pay. I didn't eat, why SHOULD I pay?

I think a more appropriate analogy would be going to an all you can eat restaurant, not paying, but just walking around with a plate. I suppose it depends on the gym, but once you get inside, how are they supposed to know you aren't bouldering?

wings

Feb 22, 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #16 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea who "hfgdt" is (seems to me like the result of mashing the keyboard). I also encourage people to form their own opinions on things. However, sometimes it's good to get feedback ...

I've climbed at TCA. There are two things I like about the place:

1. Walls with features (I'm sure these cost a fair bit).
2. Not very crowded.

Having said that ... there are certain members of the staff (oh, whatever, let's face it ... it's one very particular person) who are extremely unfriendly to the point of being rude. No, I take that back. They are extremely rude. There is no grey area here. They act as though they have no interest in repeat business. And, largely, that's what happens. They've been around for a long time (not sure if they or Joe Rockhead's is older), so perhaps there is a loyalty thing going on with many of the climbers there. Every single person who I know climbs there on a regular basis (a category I have never fallen into), when confronted with the question of, "How can you stand person XXX," gives a resigned answer that varies between "I climb there when she's not around" to "I just ignore her."

(I obviously have some sort of beef with this person ... but it's not on a personal level. I just hate people who take customer loyalty for granted.)

Anyways, you be your own judge, but I'd highly recommend getting some exposure to all members of their staff before deciding to put down any sizeable commitment on climbing there.

- Seyil

phunkdified

Feb 22, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #17 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HOLD ON JUST A SECOND!

TCA, is where i first tried climbing, and while the guy (Sasha i beleive was his name) wasn't a teletubbie kind of guy, he was very helpful and seemed genuinely sincere about my using 'his' gym.
while i think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you should not be trying to enlist others to boycott a particular place because you don't agree with how somebody is running their business (hurting no one but themselves).
why not just exercise 'your' right as a consumer and choose not to climb there, but please don't try to solicit others to your cause.

static_endurance

Feb 22, 2005, 6:11 PM
Post #18 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said phunkdified.
You should try it out a few more times before you build up a "nazi" opinion on anything. If it was just one guy, then let it go. I'm sure everyone here's met more than their share of morons in a gym. Just climb and enjoy.
And since nazi seems to be a popular topic here, look at this months issue of Gripped. You may be pleasantly surprised.

mcumbrae

Feb 22, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #19 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
people that were there to watch and hang out. Were made to pay full price. Plus $2 blay test and they were not going to climb.

Dude... it pisses me off when my gym is full of people that hang out and donīt climb... not out to get ya or anything, but if they are not going to climb, maybe they can get out of the climbers ways or contribute to the maintenance of the gym... sounds fair to me to charge them.
:?

jpdreamer

Feb 22, 2005, 6:56 PM
Post #20 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Re: coldclimb moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The restraunt is a poor analogy. A buffet would be a better analogy. If a buffet restraunt chooses to charge everyone who comes in for the buffet, even if they vehamently claim they won't be eating, well that's their choice. Should you get into a movie theatre free by saying "Oh, I'm not going to watch the movie, I'm just going to hang out with my friends in the theatre?" Certainly it would have been nice if they had let your friend in w/o charging, honestly there are worse things. And be glad the belay test was only $2, gyms I've been to charge a $5 initiation fee.

elvislegs

Feb 22, 2005, 6:58 PM
Post #21 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Re: coldclimb moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok. while i'm at it, i think i'll never go to toronto also.

fitzontherocks

Feb 22, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #22 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, hfgdt (if that is your real name), did you REALLY sign upon RC.com yesterday just so you could post this?

And the restaurant analogy... what kind of buffet are we talking about here? Chinese? Indian? No, but seriously, if you're not going to eat, you don't belong in a restaurant. If you're just going to chat with your friends, at least buy a coffee or something. That space ain't free. The owners have to pay for it. Ditto the gym. That's why some charge a spectator fee for comps. I like the movie theatre analogy, btw.

stevec

Feb 22, 2005, 7:26 PM
Post #23 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Consider the current and rising cost of liability insurance for a moment? Did you even stop to think about this? (hfgdt- at least have some stones and list your real name)

Guests of climbers are free to watch at the TCA as long as they do so from the balcony. Anyone on the floor must be certified to belay, just in case someone asks them for a belay. Maybe your friends just wanted to watch, maybe he should have stayed home and you shouled have taken the BUS!!!!! $2 for a belay test seems reasonable to me. Or are you just that cheap. I have climbed at almost all the gyms in the GTA and I find the attitude at some of the other gyms in Toronto to be a little hard to swallow, For example, getting attitude from pre-pubescent gym rats because I took a couple of tries at "their" boulder problem and had the audacity to ask for Beta. Perhaps the problem lies with your poor attitude(me , me, me) and not with the "Nazis" (very poor choice of words on your part) Maybe the person at the desk was "doing their job" and "covering their ass" or maybe you were being an ass and they just gave you a hard time.

jcinco

Feb 22, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #24 of 104 (16421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charging for a belay test is about the most bogus thing a gym can do.

Actually, its the 2nd most bogus.

The most bogus thing a gym can do is close the gym for 3-4 days each month for a comp, and then not make up for it by offering to give members an extension on their membership or a free day pass at a nearby gym. Are you guys at THE SPOT listening???

markc

Feb 22, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #25 of 104 (16115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you go to a restaurant with friends and choose not to eat, you shouldn't be billed. However, if several people in your group decline to order, I wouldn't blame the management for asking you to leave. It may be rude, but you are damaging their profits.

The gym is there for paying customers. If one friend in a group isn't climbing, I can see making that allowance. However, if you have several friends sitting around, they can interfere with your customers. Besides, what happens if someone falls on them, or if they climb without completing the required paperwork and hurt themselves?

I'm not familiar with this gym, but I think it's wrong to bash an establishment to this degree after one visit. If he said he had a bad experience, I'd be fine with it. If he didn't use the term "Nazi" 15 times, I'd consider it more thought-out and balanced. It sounds like their policies are very strict, but it's their choice on how to run their business. I wouldn't judge before going myself.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook