Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
graffiti at the magoos
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

minjin

Jun 20, 2002, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut

graffiti at the magoos  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Francisco_Bay: Castle_Rock_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

some graffiti was recently found (or more accurately, created) on the main boulder in the magoos. does anyone have any reliable method of removing the paint without damaging the rock?

killclimbz

Jun 20, 2002, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut

graffiti at the magoos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What?!!! That is so f*#%ing lame! The Magoos is the very first place I bouldered at. Some people are just morons.
I know there are some graffiti removal sprays you can probably buy at a hardware store. I've used it to remove graffiti off of a delivery truck I used to drive. It would get tagged about once a week or so. The paint on the truck did start to wear thin in spots after multiple removals. I doubt it would do much damage to the rock. You're probably going to have to use a brush or something to get it off. The only problem I see is having the Castle Rock environment exposed to those chemicals. Good luck.

verticallaw

Jun 20, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah the building that I am working in gets tagged daily, The janitors use the graffiti removal sray and a stiff brush for the rocks and buildings. Also mineral spirits work well and are less damadging outdoors.

minjin

Jun 23, 2002, 7:37 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm probably going to be down there later this week, so i'll work on removing the paint. but, if any of you out there beat me to it, i will most certainly not be offended. thanks for the advice though.

apollodorus

Jun 23, 2002, 7:56 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can also sandblast the paint off the rock, which is totally chemical free. Getting the air compressor and fifty pounds of blasting sand to the site will be good practice for those long death marches carrying Grade VII wall provisions to Trango Tower, etc. in the Karakorum.

freehueco

Jun 23, 2002, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only problem with removing that bit of graffiti is that you are likely to create more damaged than you eliminate. I'll be a little pissed if I go there next weekend and there are a bunch of grooves from a wire brush replacing the paint. The writing has faded quite a bit since it was put there at least a month ago.

All I'm trying to say is, be careful. And you might want to seek Miles' opinion, since according to him it is illegal to brush any rock in the park.

Mike

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook