Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fistfullofdynamite

Mar 1, 2005, 7:52 PM
Post #1 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

How do you feel about other sports?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a hard time watching and listening to guys who throw a football, hit a golf ball or shoot a basketball get so much praise and admiration when men who put their lives on the line for their pure desire and love of something get nothing. Of course it isn't about the recognition or fame or accolades but climbers/mountianeers, astronauts, downhill skiiers, cyclist speeding down mountains with nothing around them, these are true sportsmen. Putting up your life as collateral for an adventure has so much more meaning to me and such a higher degree of thrill and satisfaction.
I know everyone is just going to say stop paying attention to everyone else and how they feel and just do what you enjoy but I am just asking to get a discussion going because I think it is a good topic.

nrvna963

Mar 1, 2005, 7:59 PM
Post #2 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Re: How do you feel about other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a hard time watching and listening to guys who throw a football, hit a golf ball or shoot a basketball get so much praise and admiration when men who put their lives on the line for their pure desire and love of something get nothing. Of course it isn't about the recognition or fame or accolades but climbers/mountianeers, astronauts, downhill skiiers, cyclist speeding down mountains with nothing around them, these are true sportsmen. Putting up your life as collateral for an adventure has so much more meaning to me and such a higher degree of thrill and satisfaction.

amen, my thoughts exactly

the_pirate

Mar 1, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've obviously never engaged in the bloodsport game of ping-pong.

telluryan

Mar 1, 2005, 8:11 PM
Post #4 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i feel like i would rather be climbing...

buckeyeclimbski

Mar 1, 2005, 8:12 PM
Post #5 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"There are only three sports--mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing--all the rest being games." Ernest Hemingway

watchme

Mar 1, 2005, 8:17 PM
Post #6 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Putting up your life as collateral for an adventure

Uh, I wouldn't say I do that when I go climbing.

kimmyt

Mar 1, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #7 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all about what floats your own boat, ya dig?

I highly doubt that a football player would consider his sport to have a lack of adventure. Men get paralyzed playing football, they break things, etc. Even a 'boring' sport to some, like baseball, invokes passion in those who choose to immerse themselves in it.

There are fanatics of everything out there. You feel that way about sports such as football and basketball, because well, you're not a football or basketball player. It doesn't thrill you, so you found something that does. Which just happens to be rock climbing. Is that any different from the person who found that bowling makes their heart thump loudly?

Should we declaim any sport in which the participants don't hurt themselves as much as us? Is blood the way we measure ourselves to be men (or women)?

csproul

Mar 1, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #8 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I like to do and what I like to watch are sometimes different. I love to climb, and bicycle. And I like to watch some of the sports I do like climging, but other times I just really want to watch a football game. And I do admire the athletic skill it takes to play football, basketball, hockey, soccer...but those are just not hings I have ever been into doing myself.

mattm

Mar 1, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #9 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know everyone is just going to say stop paying attention to everyone else and how they feel and just do what you enjoy but I am just asking to get a discussion going because I think it is a good topic.

I've participated in all sorts of sports from Div 1 track and field to soccer to badminton to climbing and pickle ball. They each have their own risks and rewards and as such PERCEIVED risks and rewards to a viewer. Hanging it all out there on a track with everyone on your team watching you has a different "risk" than climbing a route up some canyon all by yourself. In a team sport there are others depending on your success or failure unlike climbing. Different strokes for different folks.

Regarding your "they get all the media coverage" comment I'll throw a couple thoughts out there.

Climbing is BORING TO TEARS to watch. Unless you're really a dedicated climber, you have no idea how "hard" something is and can't really get into it. Hence no media coverage. People like the occasional "adventurer" article (see mens journal for the sharma DWS piece) People watch football because it's pretty easy to see "hard" or "impressive" feats.

Climbing is a strange activity for most. Regardless of what we, as climbers, know and believe, the public still thinks we're odd for "hanging off a cliff". When this is the majority view, you're not gonna see a sports center special on "crazy folk". Example of this. I think slack-lining is silly. Hey, cool a tightrope! Bleh. No interest in it at all and thus, other than the occasionally "circus" photo don't give a whoop about it and who's hanging it out there etc. This is the publics view of climbing.

getting bored with response.... need to end now...

all_that_is_rock

Mar 1, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #10 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="fistfullofdynamite"] when men who put their lives on the line for their pure desire and love of something get nothing.
I wouldnt call what i get from climbing "nothing" as you put it. I would rather it remain an un-popular sport, that way areas stay clean. Imagine if football crouds started to show up at your crag to give you the "praise" you so desperatly desire. How many of them would pick up thier trash? how much would finding a parking spot in the Gunks suck then? dude this is a special sport for people who didnt find thier love in the normal places.

mattm

Mar 1, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #11 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's all about what floats your own boat, ya dig?

I highly doubt that a football player would consider his sport to have a lack of adventure. Men get paralyzed playing football, they break things, etc. Even a 'boring' sport to some, like baseball, invokes passion in those who choose to immerse themselves in it.

There are fanatics of everything out there. You feel that way about sports such as football and basketball, because well, you're not a football or basketball player. It doesn't thrill you, so you found something that does. Which just happens to be rock climbing. Is that any different from the person who found that bowling makes their heart thump loudly?

Should we declaim any sport in which the participants don't hurt themselves as much as us? Is blood the way we measure ourselves to be men (or women)?

Exactly
Hell, just the other day I found myself COMPLETELY hooked on watching CURLING on CBC. It was fascinating! No idea why but 2 hours later i was still there - wondering if they should've gone for the block instead of the knock-out

skateman

Mar 1, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #12 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fistfull,

I agree with you to a point. However, I do not take climbing quite as seriously as you appear to. Yes, it sickens me that the NHL cancelled the season because $4 mill/year is not enough to scrape by on. Most pro athletes get paid mucho dinero to do what us peasants gladly do for the pleasure of it. Which is the main reason I climb. I do not climb to put my life on the line. That sounds like the same reason people would play russian roulette!

S-man

vawwyakr

Mar 1, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #13 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"There are only three sports--mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing--all the rest being games." Ernest Hemingway
Hemingway obvious never took a kayak over a 30 foot waterfall but I get the point :-) I am not much for team sports either. In fact I hate pretty much all of them that I can think of at the moment. What I get even less is the people who like to sit around and watch it on TV all weekend then call themselves sport enthusiasts.

Oh just thought of a quote that my girlfriend uses all the time (she's a kayaker and climber as well). "Team sports are for people who can't excel on their own". As you can tell we're two rather bigotted anti-Football/Basketball/Baseball/etc types :-)

all_that_is_rock

Mar 1, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #14 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
[those] who put their lives on the line for their pure desire and love of something get nothing.

Not so, my friend. Perhaps not monetary compensation or adoration from the general public, but we get paid handsomely for our exploits. Our lives are enriched by experience.

As for the other "mainstream" sports, they hold little or no appeal to me, other than keeping the outdoor areas clear of human traffic on big game days.

Right on brutha man

lightandfast

Mar 1, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #15 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

send him his badge in the mail.

cragb

Mar 1, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #16 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get frustrated when people misrepresent a team sport as an inability to identify with ones self.. Micheal Jordan identified with a team and himself and consequently sent a 5.13 free solo onsight last year at Yosemite, skipping every other hold with a dyno not seen in the modern climbing era.

The MJ comment was a lie, but damn are those guys incredible athletes.....

mtman

Mar 1, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #17 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Team sports are for people who can't excel on their own". As you can tell we're two rather bigotted anti-Football/Basketball/Baseball/etc types :-)

i could not disagree with you more.

climbing is very much a team oriented sport or activity. in no other sport do you have to trust your teammates with so much... your life.

i have played individual sports and team sports since i was 5 years old and i have never had the comradely and trust in other team sports as i have found in climbing.

i guess you were just the kid who was picked last for kickball at recess

mtman

vawwyakr

Mar 1, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #18 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"Team sports are for people who can't excel on their own". As you can tell we're two rather bigotted anti-Football/Basketball/Baseball/etc types :-)

i could not disagree with you more.

climbing is very much a team oriented sport or activity. in no other sport do you have to trust your teammates with so much... your life.

i have played individual sports and team sports since i was 5 years old and i have never had the comradely and trust in other team sports as i have found in climbing.

i guess you were just the kid who was picked last for kickball at recess

mtman
Well what I'm talking about is sports where you and your 20 buddies rack points and throwing a ball at something.

pepsbandit

Mar 1, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #19 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kayaking, trail running, sailing, surfing, adventure racing, skiing... they all seem like great sports to me.

Partner phaedrus

Mar 1, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #20 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mother of one of the kids on my team was recently told by the athletic director of a nearby high school that the reason they don't recognize climbing as a "sport" is that "climbing isn't athletic enough."

I guess because climbers don't get paid megabucks, use steroids, assault fans or women, we aren't athletes. *cough*

But anyway... for the most part, aside from racquetball, most other sports simply bore the hell out of me.

"I find that rock climbing is the finest, most healthiest sport in the whole world. It is much healthier than most; look at baseball, where 10 000 sit on their ass to watch a handful of players" — John Salathé, 1974.

:wink:

Partner csgambill

Mar 1, 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #21 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What about knife fighting?

verticalcrag

Mar 1, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #22 of 30 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in my oppinion climbing is one of the most athletic activites u could ever do................................u never feel like u got hit by a train the next morning after throwin a ball around the day before.............................

justafurnaceman

Mar 1, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #23 of 30 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in my oppinion climbing is one of the most athletic activites u could ever do................................u never feel like u got hit by a train the next morning after throwin a ball around the day before.............................

Have you ever been hit by a linebacker?

After reading all these posts I forgot what all the whining is about.

I don't climb to be popular, I don't play lacrosse to be popular, I don't play soccer to be popular, or any other sport. They each push certain limits of mine to varius degrees.

xcit

Mar 1, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #24 of 30 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live to watch college football. I've actually declined and missed trips to stay home on Saturdays to be able to watch games.

horseonwheels

Mar 1, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #25 of 30 (2771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.

Seriously though, I do get a little sick of the holier-than-thou attitude some climbers carry around with them.

That's great if you define a part of yourself by your climbing. It's no different than others that are passionate about their activities, regardless of it being a team sport or not.

Personally, I love to watch football but I don't play it. I love to climb but I don't really watch it. I love to play pool and when I'm bored enough I'll watch that, but I don't try to assign some value to each activity. I know what I like to do more and far be it from me to tell someone that what they love doing isn't as valuable as climbing.

Professionals in every activity are great at what they do. Most people couldn't name the guy that originally broke the four minute mile (arguably one of the greatest athletic feats of all time), but I'm sure that if Roger Bannister (4 min mile) were in top shape right now he couldn't climb 5.15.

So who cares, all of these people add something special to what they do. I suppose it would be nice for everyone to appreciate every major accomplishment, but as said previously, some things happen to be more interesting to watch. So.....

Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook