Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner taino

Mar 4, 2005, 9:23 PM
Post #1 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Nike... um... Rock Shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Somehow, I'm not feelin' it...

http://www.nike.com/...ucts.jhtml?name=rock

T

Partner wideguy

Mar 4, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #2 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nike... um... Rock Shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Considered A Joke.

chanceboarder

Mar 4, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #3 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:wtf: just when you thought it couldn't get any worse something like this comes along

brianinslc

Mar 4, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #4 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What aren't you feeling about it?

Nike has done well with at least approach shoes for rock climbing. See the cover of Florine's speed climbing book (look at his feet). I think he's gone through something like 7 pairs of that model Nike.

In the Tetons, the favorite guide shoes seem to be the Nike Exum (Cindercone) and/or the Teewinot II's.

Some of the proto shoes have quite sticky rubber.

Be interesting to see what comes of it...

-Brian in SLC

iamthewallress

Mar 4, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #5 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's the new bowling shoe.

A coworker of mine with no interest in climbing whatsoever wore a pair of shoes the other day that looked vaguely like EB's...with laces to the toes and smooth molded rands all the way around.

Partner taino

Mar 4, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #6 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What aren't you feeling about it?

Nike has done well with at least approach shoes for rock climbing. See the cover of Florine's speed climbing book (look at his feet). I think he's gone through something like 7 pairs of that model Nike.

In the Tetons, the favorite guide shoes seem to be the Nike Exum (Cindercone) and/or the Teewinot II's.

Some of the proto shoes have quite sticky rubber.

Be interesting to see what comes of it...

-Brian in SLC

So, is this an approach shoe - or a climbing shoe?

In reply to:
But this two-part construction, which is featured on all the shoes in the Nike Considered range, also serves another function. The pieces are designed to snap securely together – again, avoiding chemical adhesives – and, when desired, to snap apart once the upper is removed, to enable easy recycling.

Snap together? Interesting concept.

T

pushsendnorcal

Mar 4, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #7 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Makes no distinction whether they are "climbing" shoes or approach shoes and the deal with Hans does speed aid climbing, you don't need no technical climbing shoe for the records he is putting up

brianinslc

Mar 4, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #8 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'd say..."yep".

Brian in SLC

iamthewallress

Mar 4, 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #9 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'd say..."yep".

Brian in SLC

I could be totally wrong I got the impression from the web link that this particular line of shoes was more just for environmentally friendlier cuteness...

Climbing-style shoes are "in" right now.

Check out the "Klim Shoes" from Puma:

http://content.neimanmarcus.com/...ts/mn/NMM5853_mn.jpg

http://content.neimanmarcus.com/...ts/mn/NMM5852_mn.jpg

These are by Michele K

http://www.zappos.com/...978/1733-97528-d.jpg

neurostar

Mar 4, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #10 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nike’s history of outdoor – and particularly rock-climbing – shoes.

Huh? History?

This was the first I've ever heard of Nike and climbing...

from_the_gym

Mar 4, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #11 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i actually noticed a guy at the gym a few months back wearing those puma shoes. I had to go to the mall (ick) to verify to myself that they were not some sort of joke shoe. I cant imagine giving up my evolv to wear puma...

On the nike issue...my approach shoes are nike, and they are awesome. This shoe doesnt look like a climbing shoe, i dont think its meant to be one.

Those sandles now...i would wear those...they look comfy.

Partner gunksgoer

Mar 4, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #12 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if nikes out there listening, id like to say one thing:

HOW BOUT NOOO

if nike started making approach style shoes like that and marketed them to the public, we could have something similar to the tnf denali fad. i know that nike already makes one or two approach shoe models, but id rather they not market them to the public. soccer moms dont need sticky rubber shoes to drive a minivan. i realize no one can tell nike not to make these, but id rather not have multi billion dollar corporations making climbing shoes, they should be made by climbers.

Partner neuroshock

Mar 4, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #13 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing-style shoes are "in" right now.
lots of shoes are strangely stylish.

i was in france last summer and saw, both in stores and on "beautiful people's" feet, adidas taekwondo shoes. having worn them for TKD in the past, i can tell you that they wear down quickly in daily use and they've little to no padding or support.

it's all about image.

cadaverchris

Mar 4, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #14 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this isn't a technical climbing shoe. Its just called the rock shoe. the 'consider' line is just environmentally friendlier and drawing on an outdoorsy demographic.

real outdoor shoes and gear by Nike is produced under their ACG (all conditions gear) line, and in my experience is quite good.

this is where the exum guide shoe, and a bunch of other approach and water shoes are found. as well as tech layers and shells.

http://www.nike.com/acg/

-cadaver

from_the_gym

Mar 4, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #15 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
HOW BOUT NOOO
i know that nike already makes one or two approach shoe models, but id rather they not market them to the public. soccer moms dont need sticky rubber shoes to drive a minivan. i realize no one can tell nike not to make these, but id rather not have multi billion dollar corporations making climbing shoes, they should be made by climbers.

I agree with you in that climbing products should be made by climbers. No, these shoes shouldnt hit the mass market, but if they did, i think i would laugh...i wonder if we can get everyone, including those soccer moms, to start wearing harnesses just for fashion? :idea:
Hell, if your going to wear the shoes... :roll:

capcom1701

Mar 4, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #16 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i wonder if we can get everyone, including those soccer moms, to start wearing harnesses just for fashion? :idea:
Hell, if your going to wear the shoes... :roll:

It would probably reduce the cost of harnesses if we could get soccer mom's to buy them, but you probably wouldn't want to take many falls in a mass marketed harness! :wink:

jon

montaniero

Mar 4, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #17 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about Considered Rock Shoe (looks like another TNF Denali marketed to non-climber fashionistas) or "the long history of Nike in rock climbing shoes" (uhh?? )...but up to a 5.9 climb Nike Air Cinder Cone rocks! Best approach shoe I ever had. PERIOD.

sumo

Mar 4, 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #18 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if nike started making approach style shoes like that and marketed them to the public, we could have something similar to the tnf denali fad. i know that nike already makes one or two approach shoe models, but id rather they not market them to the public. soccer moms dont need sticky rubber shoes to drive a minivan. i realize no one can tell nike not to make these, but id rather not have multi billion dollar corporations making climbing shoes, they should be made by climbers.

yes, climbers should make shoes

opposed to a company with engineers, and specialize in making shoes...

I don’t understand why people are so scared for things they use to be trendy?

shorty

Mar 4, 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #19 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really have problem with Nike entering the climbing shoe market. Sure, their first shoes probably won't be the best in the world, but then again neither were models from 5.10, La Sportiva, Mad Rock, et al. Nike has shown that with the proper design teams, over time they can enter a new market and produce some (but not necessarily all) decent products. But I won't jump ship just to have the swoosh on my shoes.

I just don't see soccer moms & dads wearing velcro slippers, color coordinated with their Dodge Caravans and Denali jackets to drop the kiddos off at practice. Walking across the gravel parking lot in undersized pair of Mythos will make jamming a handcrack with slippers seem like pure pleasure.

Too often in climbing -- and other sports for that matter -- the participants want to show how they are different from the non-participants. The "outsiders" can't use our clothes / toys because someone not trained in distinguishing the details might consider "them" one of "us". Perish the thought!

IMO it comes down to whether people are comfortable with both the image and the utility of their clothing / gear. Shoot, if Nike learns to make a harness more comfortable and useful than my BD & Petzl models, my MasterCard will be ready.

So I say, go for it Nike. I'll be watching in the wings. And it shouldn't be a problem singling me out. I'll be the guy in the Prana pants, Patagucci shirt, TNF fleece, Nike Gore-tex running shoes, driving a 4Runner.

Partner hosh

Mar 4, 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #20 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, surfing used to be a "cool" sport that not many people knew about. Then it became the "in" thing and everyone was on it. I'm not opposed to climbing becomming a more popular sport, but I fear that if the masses become engaged in this sport, the potential for accident will also increase. And though I'm not opposed to a company like Nike producing shoes for climbers (which I'm not convinced this shoe really seriously is), I am a little concerned that it might begin a mass influx of new climbers. again, I'm not opposed to new climbers, I'm just concerned that this might bring a whole new influx of injuries.

Hosh.

sspssp

Mar 4, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #21 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

yes, climbers should make shoes

opposed to a company with engineers, and specialize in making shoes...

I don’t understand why people are so scared for things they use to be trendy?

I'm scared of this. Outdoor climbing clothing is primarily marketed and bought by non-climbers who want to look cool. This means that when the clothing companies make design choices, whether the item actually funtions well for climbers doesn't matter near as much anymore because climbers are no longer their biggest market. So while everybody always claims that every peice of outdoor clothing is "extremely durable" given that 95% of the customers aren't going to drag their pants across anything worse than an occasional park bench, they don't have to actually make the clothing durable. Despite all the hype, most of the climbing pants on the market are far less durable than 5 or 10 years ago (and more expensive). A few people (i.e. real climbers) bitch and moan and the service reps just shrug it off. While I doubt "real" climbing shoes could ever get trendy (too uncomfortable) I could see it happening with approach shoes. Hopefully, "trail runners" might be a big enough market to keep this from happening. However, even this has its down side. Most trail runners want/are happy with a rugged, lug sole bottom, which isn't good for rock scrambling.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.

lucander

Mar 5, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #22 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SWEATSHOPS AND MILITANT ANTI-UNION TACTICS.

ladylayback

Mar 5, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #23 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Down with Nike and their close cousin WalMart.

nedsurf

Mar 5, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #24 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NOOOOOOO!!!!
:WTF:
These things look like those viet-cong shoes made out of old tires.
Speaking of third world countries, I second the accusation of nike using the worst of the sweatshop environments. See adbusters.

bustloose

Mar 5, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #25 of 63 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wish there was someone here to stop me from writing this, cause it ain't gonna be pretty...

you stupid, arrogant, pseudo-elitist fucks, get a grip.

the only reason you fear mainstream companies marketing climbing attire is because it will suddenly remove you badge of honour that you show off in public, you're just scared that the 'super hotties' down at the ice cream shack won't be able to tell the real climbers from the fashion horses, and you won't seem cool, cause you're a 'climber'. if everyone keeps their water bottle attached to their bag with a biner, no one will recognize you as a climber *oh dear* you're the people who leave their fingers taped when you go get your coffee, hoping against hope that someone will ask you why so you can say "well, i just came from CLIMBING..."

you're not elite, you're not special. do you think all the surfers care who's wearing Billabong? no, they might laugh at poseurs, but they realize that money into their sport is a good thing for all.

why does it affect you if some dude wears technical approach shoes to the mall? no one cares that half of the people wearing sporty pants aren't actually coming from yoga class...

open your eyes, look beyond the end of your stuck up little nose, and then shut your hole unless you have something intelligent to say. no one is forcing you to buy the product, it has no effect on your life whatsoever. the more people involved in the sport, the better it is for those of us that actually participate, rather than 'send shit hard in the gym doode' and surf the internet all day.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook