RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

furrymurry

Mar 7, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Gear for Cabo?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm headed down to Cabo San Lucas for spring break next week and am going to try to develop the area around Lover's Beach. I say develop only because I've heard people say that yes there's climbing but nobody seems to know of anyone who's actually down it. I've bouldered down there and have something of an idea of what to expect and I've been looking at my pictures from last year. I'd love some input on what gear anyone would recommend taking that they think I ought to include. The following is what I'll have:
#.5 - #4 camalots
yellow and grey aliens
#4 - #10 wired hexes
#4 - #13 stoppers (double #6)
pink, red, and brown tricam
plenty of slings and biners
lockers, cordellette, and webbing (lots), rap rings maybe?

That's the gist of what I have hardware-wise. If anybody has any suggestions based on what to expect down there or just from their experience in developing new stuff, please post up.

caughtinside

Mar 7, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear for Cabo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there over new years. Didn't climb, and wasn't that inspired by what I saw. The stuff on lover's beach is pure choss. There are some caves next to the arch you can boulder in, which was fun, but the rock is covered with salt spray, pretty slick.

There are a couple island chunks of rock sticking up out at the point, you'd need a boat to get there with gear, and they were covered in bird crap.

I wouldn't recommend lugging a rack to Cabo for what I saw at lovers. The climbing looked mediocre, while the beaches were superb.

Also, I think someone in a thread a while back posted a link to a Cabo climbing page or TR or something. It had a little info on the formations that had been climbed (all the stuff at lovers) but no specific route info. I may have googled it, can't remember.

anothertucsonclimber

Mar 7, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EQUIPMENT:

SHOTGLASS
SPEEDO
SUNSCREEN
SHADES

knoxville

Mar 7, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to echo earlier comments, but you probably aren't going to be overly impressed with the climbing at Lover's Beach.

On top of that, the rocks are not that high and are constantly hit by sea spray and wave action. A trad rack is probably not going to be that helpful if you're actually developing new lines. FWIW, you might opt for a bolt kit instead/as well (placing ground up, of course). I would recommend doing some more searching and consultation before boldly going and placing bolts, though.

furrymurry

Mar 7, 2005, 9:12 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear what you're saying about the bolts but to be honest I have zero experience placing bolts and thus don't want to learn by screwing up such a scenic piece of rock. The face I'm looking at in particular seems to be of fair height if I remember correctly, and was substantially dry. It's on the opposite side of the point as lover's beach, I'll try to post up a picture.

buckmanriver

Mar 9, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there in November and brought my whole trade rack and did a couple of routes easy and ended up in some rich persons back yard at the top of the climbs the rock is like sand stone so it is scary if you are really into it bring your whole rack and just climb a cool line that is what I did. And if you like surfing drive up to Toto sontose it is about an hour away great surfing and good bolding and one $1 beef tacos + $1 beer

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook