RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

wbennett

Mar 16, 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Best Cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking to buy some cams but I am just not sure which ones to buy. I have been looking at the Black Diamonds, Trango, CCH Aliens, and Rock Empire. I want to get the best cams for my money because being a student I don't have much to spare. My friends have some Black Diamonds and some Trangos and I like them both but the Rock Empire are cheap and have heard good things about them. The Aliens look like they are well engineered but pricey. Plus are the micro cams even worth it? Help someone out who is looking to move into some more trad.

dutyje

Mar 16, 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Instead of Aliens, check out Metolius TCU's. They're $43.65/ea at GearExpress if you buy 3 or more at one time. I also bought a set of Tech Friends at GearExpress (5 cams, $215). They definitely seem to be a cut below the new BD C4's, but the price is right.

jackhammer

Mar 16, 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't go with cheap...buy something that you like. Also, check out the new Max Cams from Trango, and the Link Cams from Omega Pacific. They are new cams that cover such a large camming area, that they wind up eliminating most of the other sizes. They're worth a look.

michhiker

Mar 16, 2005, 1:23 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HB's across the board, small aliens.

---MH

wbennett

Mar 16, 2005, 1:24 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone used the Omega Pacific Link Cams yet and how are they look really cool.

wbennett

Mar 16, 2005, 1:28 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What does everyone think about single stem or the two stem systems around?

taraus_de_bull

Mar 16, 2005, 2:05 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's been tons of threads on this topic. i'd suggest looking at the bottom of the page and look at "smiliar threads" or doing a search, it will return 100's of threads on what cams are good.

Partner j_ung

Mar 16, 2005, 2:09 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In a few weeks, the featured gear review on the front page will be of the latest generation of the original SLCD widely marketed, Wild Country's Forged Friend. Over the course of almost 30 years, it's design has changed shockingly little and it's still one of the lightest, cheapest, strongest and most durable units available. I'm not saying it's perfect for everybody. I'm just saying keep an eye out for the review; you might be surprised.

stewy911

Mar 16, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are the link cams even available yet

tammarak

Mar 16, 2005, 2:27 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't go worng with any brand really - they all do their job and pass UIAA standards. Bottom line though is to try brands before you buy - especially if you're thinking about spending less - like buying robot cams or forged friends. I borrowed some rock empire cams at Indian Creek and found them to be really awkward to place and cheap. If you want cams and can't reasonably try out many brands, I'd go for BD or Tech Friends and get less if you can't pony up big bucks. You'll be happy to have pieces that will last on your rack. By this I mean - you'll continue to use a quality piece of gear. If you buy cheap and decide later that you really prefer other brands the cheapo's will end up in a junk heap. What a waste in the long run. Very few people buy an entire rack at one time. Make your investment count, do a search on this website for cams preference their are 100's of posts. Go to super topo and download a cam comparison chart too - this will help clarify relative size ranges for major brands.

tammarak

Mar 16, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't go worng with any brand really - they all do their job and pass UIAA standards. Bottom line though is to try brands before you buy - especially if you're thinking about spending less - like buying robot cams or forged friends. I borrowed some rock empire cams at Indian Creek and found them to be really awkward to place and cheap. If you want cams and can't reasonably try out many brands, I'd go for BD or Tech Friends and get less if you can't pony up big bucks. You'll be happy to have pieces that will last on your rack. By this I mean - you'll continue to use a quality piece of gear. If you buy cheap and decide later that you really prefer other brands the cheapo's will end up in a junk heap. What a waste in the long run. Very few people buy an entire rack at one time. Make your investment count, do a search on this website for cams preference their are 100's of posts. Go to super topo and download a cam comparison chart too - this will help clarify relative size ranges for major brands.

taraus_de_bull

Mar 16, 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are the link cams even available yet

I believe so, although i don't know anyone who caries them yet. I think online is the only place to buy them, atleats their website allows you to purchase them.

I'm not sure i would get a link cam, they are heavy, and people say, but they cover the range of 3 cams so its not really heavy in comparison becuase you can carry one instead of 3.

heres my problem, so if you cary say 12 cams on your rack, your going to sub in 4 link cams for that 12? hope you like run-outs.

don't get me wrong, i like the idea of the link cam and may add one to my rack, but it won't be replacing any cams by anymeans.

my best advise, if possible, lead with some friends racks, get used to leading and by the time you have your system down, you'll know what gear to use. most cams are good, so are a little better then others and some are just subpar(splitter cams). seriously cams all feel a bit different and cover different size ranges. so you'll have to decide what fits your style. if you can't borrow a friends, go to and try look at sever different brands.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook