Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

mayak

Mar 21, 2005, 6:11 AM
Post #176 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: Holy new look, batman!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

first off, i do appreciate all the time and energy i'm sure it took to launch this new look for rc.com, though i must say i was always really impressed with the old layout and i'm disappointed by this one -- like everyone's said, wasted space, less friendly user navigation - i want the old layout back! thanks to everyone who puts in so much time and work to maintaining the ever wonderful rc.com! -maya.

Partner neuroshock

Mar 21, 2005, 6:43 AM
Post #177 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't currently have the energy to read the past 12 pages of posts so i'll just post my opinions which, probably, are reiterating something someone else has said

- new design seems to waste screen real estate, pushing content further down, resulting in more content "below the fold"
- the contrast in colors of the old design worked much better (for me). it all seems to blend together now
- the old logo was fine
- i liked the, now missing, ability to hover over the "# friends online" link and see who was online
- going without the left sidebar makes the site look more tidy, but also makes it less useful. the features i used to use the most take more effort to access. i used to get to the routes in the USA w/ 1 click, now it takes 3! getting to my own posts took 1 click, now takes 2.
- the implementation isn't consistent between IE (6.0.2800) and Firefox (1.0.1). at the very least have a consistent presentation across the browsers with major market share
- at least provide the old design as an alternate stylesheet for those older users who liked it (new users will never have known the difference)

- there are type-B bugs/defects where efforts would be better spent. for example, most categories in the Gear Guide list "no products" when, in actuality, they do contain entries.

jimdavis

Mar 21, 2005, 6:45 AM
Post #178 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy shit! 1 second your posting about not liking the new look, and then you refresh, and BAM...the old look is back! WAHOO!

THANK YOU!!!

Jim

vegastradguy

Mar 21, 2005, 6:46 AM
Post #179 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sometimes, you just dont appreciate what you have until its gone....so, a big thanks for bringing it back! (at least for the time being....) :D

Partner tim

Mar 21, 2005, 7:00 AM
Post #180 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone -- thanks for your feedback. (In 30 minutes of production deployment we received more feedback than in a month of polling and surveys... sometimes a swerve job is the correct choice from a data collection standpoint. *shrug*)

It will create a much stronger offering on the next go round. There are glaring weaknesses in the site's design and navigation, current and proposed -- I was surprised at the 'wasted space' comments given that the main content of the front page, for example, is actually far denser in the 'brown monkey design' than the current 'horizontal vagina design'. Regardless, there are problems with both. Whether or not the would-be demagogues in the audience want to accept it, we are the most-viewed site in our market segment, and the current design needs to be much improved. The proposed redesign is not an endpoint; it needs some functonal and aesthetic improvements before it can be considered usable.

What we intend to put into place is a default design that works as well for brand-new users as for experienced users who have learned to work around the current design's shortcomings. In a total of 24 hours, we collected far more feedback than I've seen in months... thanks for your input, we'll put it to good use. :-)

There are other, less traumatic changes/updates slated for this week... I'll announce those as they go live. Meanwhile, we'll go about incorporating your input and presenting a stronger, more usable offering for the long haul. Change is the only constant.

Thanks again for all of your valuable responses to this trial deployment. Personally, I was out climbing.

--tim

akclimber

Mar 21, 2005, 7:17 AM
Post #181 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You bastard!

saskclimber

Mar 21, 2005, 7:39 AM
Post #182 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you.

Oh yeah...I never really thought of the old logo as a "horizontal vagina". Kinda interesting though. Why did you choose a monkey for the pseudo (now defunct) new one? What about a logo contest?

Partner tim

Mar 21, 2005, 7:44 AM
Post #183 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you.

Oh yeah...I never really thought of the old logo as a "horizontal vagina". Kinda interesting though. Why did you choose a monkey for the pseudo (now defunct) new one?

Branding.

In reply to:
What about a logo contest?

I'm not opposed to a throw-down. It will certainly separate the real talent from the pretenders. (Everyone always says they can do a "better job"...) And our Graphics Person has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's invaluable to the site in any number of other ways, so even on the off chance the eventual winner was not hers, I don't see it being much of an issue.

It really just depends on the entries. If they kick ass, well, I guess the monkey would have to take a break.

saskclimber

Mar 21, 2005, 7:46 AM
Post #184 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, I guess it's on like pong (oh wait...that doesn't rhyme.....). well, on like something that you would um.....get on with....sorta....maybe...

chauch

Mar 21, 2005, 8:31 AM
Post #185 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rc.com is a lot like Oprah, "she's fat, she's thin, she's fat, she's thin..." "it's bluish w/ a horizontal vagina, it's brown w/ a monkey, it's bluish w/ a horizontal vagina..." and i'm spent...

woodse

Mar 21, 2005, 9:22 AM
Post #186 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All I can say right now is..........

THANK YOU

WoodsE

josephine

Mar 21, 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #187 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Thank you.

Oh yeah...I never really thought of the old logo as a "horizontal vagina". Kinda interesting though. Why did you choose a monkey for the pseudo (now defunct) new one?

Branding.

In reply to:
What about a logo contest?

I'm not opposed to a throw-down. It will certainly separate the real talent from the pretenders. (Everyone always says they can do a "better job"...) And our Graphics Person has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's invaluable to the site in any number of other ways, so even on the off chance the eventual winner was not hers, I don't see it being much of an issue.

It really just depends on the entries. If they kick ass, well, I guess the monkey would have to take a break.

I can try if you guys want to

a quick one see my sig,maybe something close to that,i don't know

I do think that you guys should remain with the dimensions of the old logo,IMO round logos doesn't go to this site.

anyway Just a thought

saxfiend

Mar 21, 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #188 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Everyone -- thanks for your feedback. (In 30 minutes of production deployment we received more feedback than in a month of polling and surveys... sometimes a swerve job is the correct choice from a data collection standpoint. *shrug*)
Tim -- with all the posts in this thread -- some constructive, some obnoxious -- I hope you were able to read between the lines to know the real message is how important this site is to all concerned. As a newcomer to climbing, I'm very grateful for rockclimbing.com and all the efforts that go into it. I know it must have taken a lot of work to redesign the site, and the reaction it got must have been disheartening. Please know that even the most negative and undiplomatic posters do appreciate the site, or they wouldn't be here.

Thanks again!

JL

PS -- Whatever final design is agreed upon, I really hope the monkey is gone for good!

thomasribiere

Mar 21, 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #189 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: New style/theme for RC.com? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trevor wrote, page 11 (+/- 1)
In reply to:
So my suggestion was for a more earthy tone
For the ones who think the new layout is poopy (...), maybe more reddish tones would be good too : red, orange, brick, cinnamon, mahogany, or these kinds of tones. No?

dontfall

Mar 21, 2005, 1:15 PM
Post #190 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: MOnkey [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I work at a hospital and i deal with s--- all day....now I have to come onto the site and see it splattered all over the screen....

!!!!

But seriously, I also miss the sidebar.

And again, NEEDS MORE CONTRAST!!!

Agreed, I was crapping down pills left and right being I didn't know what to do. I was hoping to see the elephants again, thinking maybe they could lead the direction into how to find which shoe would be best for a wide foot boulderer.

anykineclimb

Mar 21, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #191 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking around and then it hit me.
The old design is back! wow!

Don't care for the "horizontal vagina", but the monkey isn't much better.

I might play around with something if you decide on a logo contest.

Partner xclimber

Mar 21, 2005, 2:56 PM
Post #192 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: New style/theme for RC.com? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The new design does not work well with my Safari browser....

offwidthclimber

Mar 21, 2005, 2:58 PM
Post #193 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

at least you're not showing a bias or anything...

i would say based upon the various incarnations of the rockclimbing.com logo, you should keep your 'graphics person' far away from graphics and doing something else. seriously.

put together some requirements/standards (ie # of colors, vector-based file, etc) and have a competition and let members vote. now there's an idea that will surely result in a.) a far better logo, and b.) something people want.

jakedatc

Mar 21, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #194 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like the earthy red color idea... perhaps use the old/current logo but the way it was intended .. dark over light

saskclimber

Mar 21, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #195 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry jake, even though you're on my friends list, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya. The black/white/bluish (current version of the site), is way more easy to use (for contrasting purposes). It looks clean and tidy, and why mess with something if it aint broken (for the most part...). the logo needs a makeover though (that's why I suggested the whole contest thing acouple pages back.)
Jon

jakedatc

Mar 21, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #196 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about just the top and side bar color changes then? like a red rocks/hueco tanks looking color to make the logo pop a bit

but ya i dont mind the blue.. all the other climbing boards i talk on use similar (except NEclimbs.. if people thought the brown was bad.. check out yellow)

viktor

Mar 21, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #197 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: What the... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations on acheiving the seemingly impossible!

You have dumbed down the site even further. Excellent work: fine attention to banal details that add nothing except useless clutter, and nice use of non-sequitor devices as a smokescreen to prevent people from seeing in what low regard you hold them.

Keep up the crappy work!

angelaa

Mar 21, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #198 of 205 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Re: What the... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ummm - - Where'd the new Look go?!?!

I saw it on Saturday night . . . but now it's back to the old way???!?!? :shock:

Partner cliffhanger9

Mar 21, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #199 of 205 (11687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i like the earthy red color idea... perhaps use the old/current logo but the way it was intended .. dark over light

The problem with the horizontal vag logo is as Tim said, branding. A good logo is a 2 dimensional brand. the rocky mountain thing doesnt really work in that sense as it is kinda 3-D. We ve tried it. I have one of the old t-shirts. White shirt with black/grey logo - you cant read it at all. You need ot be able to put it on a letterhead or business card and have it actually print clearly. That is where this one fails. A logo is a 2D design that will brand well. It is not rockclimbing.com in fancy font. it is not a photograph either.

The monkey was well designed in that sense.

outdoorsie

Mar 21, 2005, 7:33 PM
Post #200 of 205 (11687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The problem with the horizontal vag logo is as Tim said, branding. A good logo is a 2 dimensional brand. the rocky mountain thing doesnt really work in that sense as it is kinda 3-D. We ve tried it. I have one of the old t-shirts. White shirt with black/grey logo - you cant read it at all. You need ot be able to put it on a letterhead or business card and have it actually print clearly. ...

The monkey was well designed in that sense.

Sorry if any of this has been suggested/stated. I didn't surf through 14 pages of "this is stoopid!" before I posted.

The quote above does make a lot of sense, but I'd worry about the monkey being overly used/already branded. The one that I saw on the site last night reminded me an aweful lot of the paul frank monkey, which has absolutely nothing to do with rock climbing. Maybe something more common to the crags... like a lizard or a spider!

My mom got angry once and told me if I kept up this "climbing stuff" that all my children would turn into little spiders climbing up the walls... I always liked that image...

I did like the earthy colors but the fonts were really big. It took up a lot of space on my little laptop screen.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook