RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

tradrenn

Mar 22, 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #1 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Is Munter Hitch OK to belay a leader ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can climb with this woman but she wants to only belay with Munter Hitch. Is that ok ? Is anybody else belaying a trad (or sport) like that ? Did anybody actually catch a fall with Munter Hitch ? Is it save if used correctly ?

I'm asking cause I read somewhere that this knot slips (or may slip ) if loaded more then 1000 Ibs.

Thanks for all your help.

druide

Mar 22, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #2 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Munter Hitch OK to belay a leader ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did belay 5 days with a Munter hitch cause i lost my atc and i used it many time before. For me it's as safe as a device except that it's more complicate to set-up especially for rappel. You have to watch the gate of your biner cause the rope sometime unscrew it!

jfk

Mar 22, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #3 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With both strands parallel, the Munter will hold more force than your ATC, etc.

With the break strand down, aka a tube-style breaking position, the Munter and the ATC brethren hold about the same amount of force.

Frankly, since a Munter will lock in any position, I'd trust a Munter belay from a stranger before a standard belay device...less potential to screw it up.

vegastradguy

Mar 22, 2005, 3:19 AM
Post #4 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Munter is fine for lead or TR, its a perfectly safe way to belay provided the person doing it is familiar and competent with it (which i can only assume she is if she insists on using it instead of a plate of some sort).

as for your reading that the knot slips at 1000lbs, you're thinking of the clove hitch, which although that seems to be a common rumor about the hitch, is not true.

the last point- not entirely sure whether the Munter on lead would twist your rope (i believe if used correctly, it does not twist the rope), so use her rope! :)

tradrenn

Mar 22, 2005, 3:20 AM
Post #5 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

She will be rappeling with it but I have 2 shants so I will give her one and we should be ok.

billcoe_

Mar 22, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #6 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
With both strands parallel, the Munter will hold more force than your ATC, etc.

With the break strand down, aka a tube-style breaking position, the Munter and the ATC brethren hold about the same amount of force.

Frankly, since a Munter will lock in any position, I'd trust a Munter belay from a stranger before a standard belay device...less potential to screw it up.

Absolutly true about the strength and Me too on the trust issue.

I suspect that is because folks who learn the Munter tend to be more experienced in general.

warrior_prong

Mar 22, 2005, 9:17 AM
Post #7 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're not overly comfortable climbing with a partner who won't use anything other than the munter, you could try asking exactly what features of it she prefers vs a normal device. Maybe she has been scaremongered before and has an irational fear of them. Has she ever actually used one. Deep and meaningful crag counselling could sort the issue out.

Twisty ropes could follow continual munter using!

matt_sb

Mar 22, 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #8 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A comment from a swiss guy: here the munter hitch is probably the most used belay method. many gyms teach the munter as standard/beginners belay technique. i like this method, beside some handling issues (thick ropes or rope twisting). but YOU have to be comfortable with your partner and his/her belay method.

Partner tisar

Mar 22, 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #9 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're not overly comfortable climbing with a partner who won't use anything other than the munter, you could try asking exactly what features of it she prefers vs a normal device. Maybe she has been scaremongered before and has an irational fear of them. Has she ever actually used one. Deep and meaningful crag counselling could sort the issue out.

Twisty ropes could follow continual munter using!

The Munter is a very common belay method over here. ATC and others are coming up but still most people rely on the Munter. I do belay with both. I like the smooth action of the ATC when belaying TR, but as I started with the Munter I still switch to it when it comes to belaying lead - just because I feel more secure with it.

If used properly (strands parallel always) you'll not kink the rope and safety is not an issue. Friction in the knot is higher than in an ATC. According to this abstract ATC slips at ~ 2kN, Munter at ~3kN. Though it's easy to give a soft catch due to the switch of the hitch in the HMS while catching.

The only argument against the Munter as belay method is rope wear - as the friction is provided by the rope-on-rope action. (Rappelling on a Munter on the other hand is a pain: Rope kinks like hell and it's more like bouncing down... may suit an emergency but I'll never do it again if not forced to.)

In the end I'd always prefer my belayer to belay me with the method she/he prefers (as long as it's not completely off). The Munter is recommended and proven to be save by the UIAA and other trustworthy organisations. Being used to it may outweight a lot of objective maybe-disadvantages in handling.

- Daniel

hex

Mar 22, 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #10 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
She will be rappeling with it but I have 2 shants so I will give her one and we should be ok.

Couple of quick tips if you've never abseiled (rappelled) using a munter (aka italian) hitch...

If using two strands as in a normal abseil setup, treat the ropes as one and make one big munter hitch because if you do two seperate ones on the same carabiner or on two carabiners side by side there will be a huge amount of friction...

Also, orientate the locking carabiner in such a way so that the ropes running through it tighten the gate rather than unscrew it! play with the hitch for a while and you'll see what i mean.

hugepedro

Mar 22, 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #11 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can climb with this woman . . .

Now you're just bragging.

:wink:

wjca

Mar 22, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #12 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="tisar"]
In reply to:
If used properly (strands parallel always) you'll not kink the rope and safety is not an issue.

- Daniel

Safety is always an issue, at least with me, regardless of what my belayer is using.

tallnik

Mar 22, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #13 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Muntner is great for belaying directly off the anchor.

I don't like the muntner as it puts a lot of wear and tear on your rope compared to an atc, etc.

Use her rope.

Nik

a_guy_named_smith

Mar 22, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #14 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the real question is
after getting to the top of the climb did she bust out the 6 biner rap?

brianinslc

Mar 22, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can climb with this woman but she wants to only belay with Munter Hitch. Is that ok ? Is anybody else belaying a trad (or sport) like that ? Did anybody actually catch a fall with Munter Hitch ? Is it save if used correctly?

Works fine. Nice to have in the toolbox.

I caught a 50 foot lead fall, on an 8.1mm rope, on a munter hitch. No problemo. Didn't notice any slipping.

Very safe and hard to use incorrectly, IMHO.

-Brian in SLC

topher

Mar 22, 2005, 4:57 PM
Post #16 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very safe very good go to europe and most people dont even know what an atc is!

i recomend that you learn it and use it on ocation, sure helpful if you drop that little atc thing.

paulraphael

Mar 22, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #17 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just make sure she can pay out rope fast enough when you lead ... it's harder to pay out rope smoothly than with a plate or a tube.
and if you're climbing any place where twisted/hung up ropes would be a problem, i'd discourage her from rapping with it. they cause a lot of twisting and wear on rappel.

tradrenn

Mar 23, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #18 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For now I will be climbing with her at the local crags, the tallest is 31 meters ( 95 feet ) and to get dawn we will walk dawn cause that's the local rule ( that way other people can start climbing as soon as she is on the top )

A huge thanks to all off you for replying.
I will climb with her.

And I will try rappeling with Munter Hitch. ( It's never too late to learn something new )

tradkelly

Mar 23, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #19 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, orientate the locking carabiner ...

Folks, "orientate" is not a word. It's "orient." Please. Yep, what you are asking will definitely work (and well) with it's caveats, but please learn the language. Sorry, pet peeve from working with too many Sergeants for way too many years. The simpler word is much more correct and will earn you points with the edumaceted crowd.

Just another grammar nazi,

curt

Mar 23, 2005, 5:21 AM
Post #20 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Folks, "orientate" is not a word. It's "orient." Please. Yep, what you are asking will definitely work (and well) with it's caveats, but please learn the language. Sorry, pet peeve from working with too many Sergeants for way too many years. The simpler word is much more correct and will earn you points with the edumaceted crowd.

Except, of course, that you are wrong. Orientate is indeed a word, meaning the same thing as orient. Much as flammable and inflammable mean the same thing. Get a dictionary.

Curt

reno

Mar 23, 2005, 5:37 AM
Post #21 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I would prefer that someone belaying me used a device such as ATC, Reverso, etc. I find it is easier for me to check the belay to insure it is set-up properly.

A Munter is an acceptable option, but personally I'd prefer an ATC.

stymingersfink

Mar 23, 2005, 5:54 AM
Post #22 of 22 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Except, of course, that you are wrong. Orientate is indeed a word, meaning the same thing as orient. Much as flammable and inflammable mean the same thing. Get a dictionary.

Curt

Curt,

what definition will i orientate myself to when looking up the non-word ROTFLMAO! :lol: ?

Sty

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook