Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
earliest I can backpack/semi technical climb? Wind River Rng
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Mar 31, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2437 views)
Shortcut

earliest I can backpack/semi technical climb? Wind River Rng  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Wind_River)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had intended to head to the Gaspe and the Chic Chocs. But NO DOGS. So I'm looking at either colorado or Wyoming as secondary trip options.

This is what I'm looking for:

1. A 3-5 day backpacking trip that keeps me at reasonable elevation in beautiful scenery.

2. Soloable peaks with non technical climbs. I'm competent with crampons, ice axe and 3rd and 4th class climbing but I will have my dog so I'd like to keep the climbing on the easier side of 4th class. I understand Gannet Peak is soloable despite the glaciation because the glaciers are small and easily identifiable. Is this correct?

3. I only have a 2 wheel drive car so I'll need a accessable trail head. Are the USFS roads clear by mid/late May?

4. Are there any good sites I should look at for what I am looking for?

Any advice appreciated. I don't have a lot of time to get this planned. I actually had a whole wind river trip planned out a few years ago but can't seem to locate it and from what I remember it was planned for closer to 10 days.

ebelay

Apr 1, 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Re: earliest I can backpack/semi technical climb? Wind River [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When are you planning your trip? What's "reasonable" elevation?

In Colorado, there are plenty of areas that would accomodate a trip like this but for the next few months you'll still be dealing with full-on winter conditions in higher elevations.

For a great summer trip, you might want check out the Indian Peaks Wilderness. You can spend several days exploring the area with plenty of 3rd and 4th class peaks to climb. "Solo Flight" on Lone Eagle Peak is a 4th class classic and the Lone Eagle Cirque in itself is sublime. Check with the NFS for camping permits.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=7911

PM me with specific questions and/or if you need a partner in the Boulder area.

Good luck.

Eric

fixednut

Apr 1, 2005, 1:26 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Re: earliest I can backpack/semi technical climb? Wind River [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pico,

I'm looking at going to the Winds at about the same time, and I have been wondering about conditions as well. I have one partner and am looking for others because I would like to do a 2 week trip (last 2 weeks in May). I will probably be heading out at the end of the first week in May to do some other stuff beforehand (either lowland rock climbing or another longer trip), otherwise I would offer to share transportation. Let me know if you'd be interested in hooking up/collaborating on anything.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook