Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

scott_davidson

Apr 27, 2005, 4:41 AM
Post #26 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Re: bivy sacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i vote for the bibler too, in very cold snowy bivys and wet big wall bivys it has worked perfectly for me.

phatcat

Apr 27, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #27 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just picked up an ID Sola. heavy at 3 lbs, put lighter than a tent. i will mostly use it for solo backcountry exploits next winter. i'm trying it out this weekend, hope it rains! :wink:

rained really hard for about 8 hours and the thing started to get rather damp on the inside, especialy on the seams. not sure if it was condensation or leaking, kind of lame though...

cracknut

Apr 27, 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #28 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just picked up an ID Sola. heavy at 3 lbs, put lighter than a tent. i will mostly use it for solo backcountry exploits next winter. i'm trying it out this weekend, hope it rains! :wink:

3lbs is a tank. You could definately get a tent around the same weight. BD's FirstLight comes to mind. 2lbs 11oz for a two person tent. Imagine all that luxurious space for the same weight as your "bivy sack".

scrappydoo

Apr 27, 2005, 3:35 PM
Post #29 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Black Diamond's Lightsabre bivy. Its a tripod design that's lighter than bibler's no-pole bivy's. Its been really well reviewed.

-D

phatcat

Apr 28, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #30 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

3lbs is a tank. You could definately get a tent around the same weight. BD's FirstLight comes to mind. 2lbs 11oz for a two person tent. Imagine all that luxurious space for the same weight as your "bivy sack".

good point, but i'm not so sure i would want to endure very nasty weather in that thing. if all i wanted was something light, i would of just gotten the rei minimalist bivy (which i will probably get for the summer).

tempestwind

Apr 28, 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #31 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about using the Bibler big wall bivy for Alpine conditions??

crag

Apr 28, 2005, 1:23 PM
Post #32 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about using the Bibler big wall bivy for Alpine conditions??

Mine works well. I've used it in the Pacific NW and here in the NE. A bit cramped to get in and out of. Recomend using the pee bottle if you're prone to midnight urges.

adnix

Apr 28, 2005, 2:06 PM
Post #33 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rained really hard for about 8 hours and the thing started to get rather damp on the inside, especialy on the seams. not sure if it was condensation or leaking, kind of lame though...
Gore Tex and most of those fancy modern laminates work when body moisture evaporates. But if you go to temperatures below freezing avaporating is very slow. In other words you could say such things will never work properly. It's a desingn problem.

phatcat

Apr 29, 2005, 3:15 AM
Post #34 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Gore Tex and most of those fancy modern laminates work when body moisture evaporates. But if you go to temperatures below freezing avaporating is very slow. In other words you could say such things will never work properly. It's a desingn problem.

it was only about 40 degrees out, but as long as it wasn't soaking through because of the material or seams, thats good enough.

maxclimber1w

Apr 29, 2005, 3:59 AM
Post #35 of 35 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the BD Winter Bivy, and it is great. 7oz and it repels water extremely well, especially when the seams are sealed. I have had no durability issues, and have sat out a storm or two in that thing!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook