RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

bonze

Apr 27, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #1 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Fresh photography from France
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I just want to share with you my new portfolio, you will discover fresh climbing pictures :

http://bonzography.ouvaton.org

Feedback would be really appreciated, I bought my camera in May 2004 and most of the pictures are less one year old (sorry for my english).

:)

holmeslovesguinness

Apr 27, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fresh photography from France [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a quick peek at your site - some very nice photos there. I'm also really impressed with the website itself - did you do all of the design and development yourself?

cfmwh

Apr 27, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only had a few minutes to look at the site. I'm "working" right now, but...
Excellent pictures. I like the up-close and personal facial expressions on the climbing photos. Nice web site as well. Uh, your English? It's better than a lot of folks on this site who have lived there whole lives speaking/writing English, so don't worry about it.

slablizard

Apr 27, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beautiful.
the 8b picture is awesome

bouldersdothebodygood

Apr 27, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great shots! and sweet site!

ikefromla

Apr 28, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brilliant design and fantastic photography. i love limestone so much i should move to france for a while. your site made me salivate! :lol:

glyrocks

Apr 28, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #7 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do like the pictures and the layout of the site, but I think it has a little too much going on when you're viewing the pictures. I've got a decent internet connection here and it loads kind of slow for the size of the image. I don't know if that's intentional (the whole 'please wait while...') but I find it distracting and a little annoying. But, don't get me wrong, they're good pictures and I like most of the 'look' of the page.

Hah, yea, most people in the US have English worse than your's.

Partner p_grandbois

Apr 28, 2005, 1:47 AM
Post #8 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Makes me proud to be from France....

VIVE

bosterson

Apr 28, 2005, 1:49 AM
Post #9 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your photos with us Laurent! What kind of camera do you have? The photos look like they were taken with a DSLR.

As for feedback, I think your photos are nice and consistent, but only a couple really jumped out at me (such as the one of Mathieu Gallot-Lavallee on the 8b+). I feel like many of them could be improved with slight changes in framing, and perhaps some selective focus by using a larger aperture and a zoom to narrow the depth of field. For instance, a couple of the bouldering shots looked like they were taken right before or right after the "hard" move, and that perhaps you'd just missed the climber making a great grimace! The thing with climbing photography is that unless by chance there is either an amazing view or amazing light or something, many climbing photos look similar, so it is up to the photographer to find a new and unique viewpoint with which to portray your interpretations of climbing (rather than just "documenting" a climb pictorially). This is something I, myself, am still struggling with, and I suspect that it will be an ongoing process.

Otherwise, though, good job and keep the photos coming! The site is great, too, by the way; you did a really good job designing it. My only comment about it is that the "please wait while the photo loads" screen, with the little flower graphics, gets kind of old after a few photos. You could let the photos load immediately and then have the info pop up more slowly on the side, like it does now (which I think is very cool).

I hope this helps!

ammon

Apr 28, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #10 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have some really nice shots.

The only thing I thought is a bit off is your icons for the photos. You probably did it on purpose to add an artsy feel but the person viewing them has really no clue of what they are about to see when clicking on someones zipper.

Cheers, Ammon

chrispencc

Apr 28, 2005, 3:32 AM
Post #11 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

excellent pictures i cant wait for my trip to France this summer

bonze

Apr 28, 2005, 6:26 AM
Post #12 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I took a quick peek at your site - some very nice photos there. I'm also really impressed with the website itself - did you do all of the design and development yourself?

I like when people enjoy the pictures :-). I build the website too but you shouldn't be impressed because it's very simple to do it. The main page is a simple table, like each sub-section. I added basic flash object to create a few animations and a little php script to navigate between images.

I wanted to add a few more effects and add more interactivity (guestbook or comments for each pictures) but I still didn't find the time to do it. I had to stay concentrated on shooting and photoshop learning !

Bonzography is intended to be a portfolio but it is not my first website, I worked for five years on the first one which was made to share images but not really beautiful pictures, only fun with climbing friends !

It's still online and you could see it there : http://bonze.ouvaton.org

bonze

Apr 28, 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #13 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for sharing your photos with us Laurent! What kind of camera do you have? The photos look like they were taken with a DSLR.

As for feedback, I think your photos are nice and consistent, but only a couple really jumped out at me (such as the one of Mathieu Gallot-Lavallee on the 8b+). I feel like many of them could be improved with slight changes in framing, and perhaps some selective focus by using a larger aperture and a zoom to narrow the depth of field. For instance, a couple of the bouldering shots looked like they were taken right before or right after the "hard" move, and that perhaps you'd just missed the climber making a great grimace! The thing with climbing photography is that unless by chance there is either an amazing view or amazing light or something, many climbing photos look similar, so it is up to the photographer to find a new and unique viewpoint with which to portray your interpretations of climbing (rather than just "documenting" a climb pictorially). This is something I, myself, am still struggling with, and I suspect that it will be an ongoing process.

Otherwise, though, good job and keep the photos coming! The site is great, too, by the way; you did a really good job designing it. My only comment about it is that the "please wait while the photo loads" screen, with the little flower graphics, gets kind of old after a few photos. You could let the photos load immediately and then have the info pop up more slowly on the side, like it does now (which I think is very cool).

I hope this helps!

I bought a Nikon D70 with Nikkor 18-70. I'd like to use selective focus with a zoom but my 70 mm is too short. I tried to play with aperture but results didn't follow (maybe I should try again ?). I'd like to buy something like 80-200 but I have to save money before.

Concerning bouldering pictures, I know that many of them looks very basic but it was difficult for me to gather more stuff in one year. And there are not so many bouldering spots near the place where I live.

Concerning the "hard move", I first believed that only hard moves could give good shots. But now I do not concentrate on such moves, I'm still trying to find interesting position but I feel as much concerned by colors and geometry around the climber. I know professionnal photographers that really works with their climbers : I mean the climber do not climb, he just repeat moves until the shot is good. I've never worked like this. I've only shot people while they are climbing. It may explain why I miss interesting action ?

Concerning flash effects, I only tried to replace that ugly loading bar with something more funny to watch but I understand could find it boring after a while. I'll try to improve that.

Thanks all for your feedback, it is very interesting for me.

the_pirate

Apr 28, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off.... you have a good eye. Keep it up, I really like some of your photos.

As for the site though.... I hate Flash, that's just a personal preference, but even on the T1 line at my office the images took a while to load. I like the little information box though. That's different and kinda cool. Someone else mentioned the thumbnails and I'm inclined to agree. It would be much more viewer friendly to have full frame thumbs. Thanks for sharing.

bosterson

Apr 30, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I bought a Nikon D70 with Nikkor 18-70. I'd like to use selective focus with a zoom but my 70 mm is too short. I tried to play with aperture but results didn't follow (maybe I should try again ?). I'd like to buy something like 80-200 but I have to save money before.

Concerning bouldering pictures, I know that many of them looks very basic but it was difficult for me to gather more stuff in one year. And there are not so many bouldering spots near the place where I live.

Concerning the "hard move", I first believed that only hard moves could give good shots. But now I do not concentrate on such moves, I'm still trying to find interesting position but I feel as much concerned by colors and geometry around the climber. I know professionnal photographers that really works with their climbers : I mean the climber do not climb, he just repeat moves until the shot is good. I've never worked like this. I've only shot people while they are climbing. It may explain why I miss interesting action ?

Concerning flash effects, I only tried to replace that ugly loading bar with something more funny to watch but I understand could find it boring after a while. I'll try to improve that.

Thanks all for your feedback, it is very interesting for me.

The lens factor on the D70 is 1.5, so your lens is actually the equivalent of 42-105mm. For sport climbing, or other situations when your options are limited as to where you can be in relation to the climber, that may not be long enough, but in many situations, 105mm is probably long enough to throw your background out of focus. The aperture of the kit lens that comes with the D70 is f3.5-4.5, so just use aperture priority at f3.5, and when you zoom, the camera will automatically switch it to f4.5 and adjust the exposure. Basically, the wider your aperture, and the more zoomed in you are, the narrower the depth of field will appear in your photo. Also, it helps if the thing you are focusing on is closer to you than the background, because depth of field is 1/3 in front of and 2/3 behind the subject. I'm sure if you go experiment with the camera for a bit, you'll come up with some some interesting shots.

About the "hard move," I agree that it's kind of lame to have the climber fake a climb for a good photo; ideally, you'd get all of your photos on the first attempt. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking someone to re-climb something because you think it would make a good photo. Sometimes I've asked my friends to do another lap on a problem because I have an idea I want to try out. That said, I think you can still get a lot of good photos on the first attempt if you work out beforehand where you want to be shooting from, framing, stuff like that. What I meant about your photos missing the interesting action was that they seemed to be slightly mis-timed, like you took the photo slightly too soon (or too late). The D70 has a decent burst mode (3fps), so perhaps if you anticipate that the climber is about to do something hard, just hold the shutter down and with a little luck, you'll capture a good moment. (Of course, as you said, not all of climbing photography is about capturing "hard" moves. The rest is what I was talking about before - finding your own interpretation, your own way of approaching the shots, where there's no "right" answer.)

I hope that helps.

bonze

May 2, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The lens factor on the D70 is 1.5, so your lens is actually the equivalent of 42-105mm. For sport climbing, or other situations when your options are limited as to where you can be in relation to the climber, that may not be long enough, but in many situations, 105mm is probably long enough to throw your background out of focus. The aperture of the kit lens that comes with the D70 is f3.5-4.5, so just use aperture priority at f3.5, and when you zoom, the camera will automatically switch it to f4.5 and adjust the exposure. Basically, the wider your aperture, and the more zoomed in you are, the narrower the depth of field will appear in your photo. Also, it helps if the thing you are focusing on is closer to you than the background, because depth of field is 1/3 in front of and 2/3 behind the subject. I'm sure if you go experiment with the camera for a bit, you'll come up with some some interesting shots.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for your answer but I have to add a few remarks :

- You are right, lens factor is 1.5 but if you multiply my 18-70 by 1.5, you do not obtain 42-105 !!! It give 27-105 (I want to keep my wide-angle :-) )
- I've already try to zoom at 70mm (effective 105) with aperture priority locked on f4.5 but it didn't reduce significantly my depth field. I would really like to control this effect because I like to use it more but I guess I'll have to wait for another kit lens with wider aperture or bigger zoom.

oldskool

May 2, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great pictures!! i think the website is great, i love the non-full sized thumbs, its kinda like an easter egg hunt, although it might bother some of the stiffer, engineer types who live in their cut and dry little worlds. the pix are very good. keep practicing w/ aperture and shutter speed, and try different ISO's. good job

bosterson

May 3, 2005, 2:11 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for your answer but I have to add a few remarks :

- You are right, lens factor is 1.5 but if you multiply my 18-70 by 1.5, you do not obtain 42-105 !!! It give 27-105 (I want to keep my wide-angle :-) )
- I've already try to zoom at 70mm (effective 105) with aperture priority locked on f4.5 but it didn't reduce significantly my depth field. I would really like to control this effect because I like to use it more but I guess I'll have to wait for another kit lens with wider aperture or bigger zoom.

Whoops. 42-105 would be the 1.5x magnification of a 28-70 lens, not an 18-17 lens! I have a 28-105 myself, so maybe I was thinking of that. Anyway, my bad.

In response to what you said about using aperture priority, f4.5 at 105mm (effective) should be more than enough to get some blurring of the background. Like I said, the effect will be more noticeable if the subject (whatever you've focused on) is much closer to the camera than to the background. If the subject is *very* close to the camera, then the effect will be very noticeable, such as if you were to focus on someone's hand when it's 2 ft. from your lens. (Of course, the effect won't be as good as if you were using f2.8, but still...) If you want proof of this, browse my photos for the picture called "Jordi vs. Cocaine Corner" - it was taken at f4 with the lens at 105mm. You can see how his face is in focus, yet his hands (which are above his face), as well as the girl in the background, are not. So yes, selective focus is perhaps easier and more effective with an f2.8 or faster lens, but I should think you can still do it at f4.5 provided that you zoom enough and choose an appropriate subject to focus on.

kpb

May 3, 2005, 2:41 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The photographs are wonderful.

I don't like the flash. I think it's heavy handed, and there's not much there that you could do with dhtml. And, it loads really slow. Additionally, the larger image, accessed by clicking on a thumbnail, won't render using Linux Firefox 1.0.3 using Flash 7.0 r25.

saltamonte

May 3, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #20 of 20 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the partial thumbnails look really artsy and cool. but they also make me less interested in staying on the website and in clicking on p pictures. cause I don't feel like I know what I am getting into, I like being able to go tothumbnail page to get an idea of what each picture is. but the pictures are great and I also understand that the partial thumbnails do add an element of mystery and intrigue I guess I just wasn't feeling mysterious today :)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook