Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ggraham

Jul 3, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #26 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Rock climbing diet.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks....
I think I might take this opportunity to plug my Training Links site......

www.angelfire.com/ego/climbfast

clam

Jul 7, 2002, 6:24 PM
Post #27 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See if you can get this article: Paul Roberts, Ed Burke's Got a Rocket in His Pita Pocket Outside, May 2001. I found it very helpful.

Partner camhead

Jul 7, 2002, 8:35 PM
Post #28 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to watch what I eat a lot more than I do now. Although I avoid all red meat, my diet SUCKS. Coffee, Red Vines, canned tuna, and beer. And right now I'm climbing the hardest I ever have. Life is good.

apollodorus

Jul 7, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #29 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here ya go:

http://www.fishproducts.com/pics/winodag.jpeg

The photo shows Thunderbird, but Night Train, Mad Dog (MD20/20) or any of Gallo's putrid offerings will also work.

For a more festive feeling, try Gatorade and cheap tequila ("Gatorita"). Ole!

OE800 (Old English 800 Malt Liquor) is another wall staple. Here's the proof:

http://www.fishproducts.com/topos/nativeTR/storm1.jpeg

For protein and fiber, try edible fungi (magic mushrooms).

twinrocks

Jul 7, 2002, 10:33 PM
Post #30 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to eat o good amount of protein and as little fats as possible for a good power to weight ratio. I've banned myself from junk food,ice-cream,biscuits etc or anything remotly unhealthy

muleypt

Jul 7, 2002, 11:51 PM
Post #31 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of you guys crack me up - pizza?! beer?! chips?! Most of the guys my age that still eat like that on a regular basis can' t haul their sorry butt up the rock anymore due to excess butt. They burn most of their calories not by climbin' but by hang doggin' and beating hands, feet, etc. against the wall in disgust/frustration - chanting "If I wasn't such a fat a**....!!"

I truly think decent/enjoyable climbing is extremely weight-dependent (in most cases). Once I hit 32 I had to actually care about what I ate, if not, I would be stuck as a weekend watcher instead of a weekend warrior. Ahhh, ...youth is wasted on the young...

duracellbunny

Jul 8, 2002, 12:41 AM
Post #32 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that you have to eat a bit of everything and don't eat "junk" food. Try to eat as much healther as you can. Lots of vegetables, fruits, daily products, meat, fish, and nuts!!!!!
Good luck.
Climb safe and hard

[ This Message was edited by: duracellbunny on 2002-07-07 17:42 ]

okieterry

Jul 14, 2002, 7:54 PM
Post #33 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're serious about your climbing, eventually you'll be as serious about your diet and health as you are about your workouts and technique. I've been climbing hard since I was 16 and I'm 42 now. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted and my weight would still stay low, However, basically since I turned 30, my body now wants to gain weight so easily that I really have to watch my diet to keep those pounds off.
After trying a bunch of different diets (vegetarian, low fat, the zone, atkins) I have finally found something that works for me. I basically eat several low carbohydrate, high protein meals a day with a lot of vegetables and salads. I currently weigh 155 pounds and so I try to get 155 grams of protein a day in 30 grams per meal doses. I try to keep my carbs below 100 grams per day. I think this diet helps me maintain my muscle tone and the carbs allow me to think and workout effectively. On long hard climbing days I usually just carb with cytomax.

jt512

Jul 14, 2002, 8:05 PM
Post #34 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okieterry, the diet you are describing is not one I would recommend for a serious climber or other athlete. It is way too low in carbohydrate to maintain sufficient muscle glycogen and must be (if your figures are accurate) to high in fat. By my calculations, your diet must be 60% fat.

-Jay

caty_ksa

Jul 14, 2002, 8:40 PM
Post #35 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all i can say is that when i eat crap before i climb my climbing becomes a hundred times worse. eat protein, carbs, and fruits.

caty

wildtrail

Jul 14, 2002, 8:58 PM
Post #36 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No such thing, really. Many follow strict diets and many do not. I eat what I please, when I please. Exercise keeps my little belly from getting huge. Why do I have one you may wonder? Under active thyroid gland. Long explanation. Total digression.

Eat what you please. It is the exercise that will keep you conditioned for climbing. Including climbing. If you want an energy diet, it is NOT carbos. Carb loading gives long term energy, but it is proven to weigh a person down and make them fatigued before an event. What you want for energy is natural fats. Fish oils, raw almonds, etc.

Strength = Protien, basically.

You know what is best? Not doing what many people do. Having specific diets that don't provide everything needed. People how carb load only, fruit diets, vegetarians, etc. Now, you can have the diet you want, but make sure you take supplements. Want to do one better than that, skip the supplements and have a "perfect" diet. One in which you get your RDA of everything recommended. Which is virtually impossible. What I am saying is this. Eat your meats, fruits and veggies, grains, and dairy every day.

I take a Men's One-A-Day to make up for whatever I don't get as my diet is different. I don't eat much due to the underactive thyroid. If I did, my years of muscle from weight lifting would quickly be hidden under a layer of fat. No thanks!

Steve

okieterry

Jul 14, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #37 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoaaa! What do you think I eat for protein? Sausage??? I eat chicken, fish, and whey protein for my protein. I don't eat that much fat although you do need some.
On a low carb/high protein diet, your body will adjust to the lack of carbs and will start burning stored fat for energy. I want it to do this during the week while I am sitting at my desk (I work out after work). On the weekend, when I climb, I eat carbs that are necessary for glycogen stores and energy.

jt512

Jul 14, 2002, 11:34 PM
Post #38 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Whoaaa! What do you think I eat for protein? Sausage???

I think you eat more than 1,000 kcal a day, so if the amounts of protein and carbs you reported are correct, then the remainder must be coming from fat (or alcohol).

(155 + 100) x 4 = 1020 kcal, which is about half your caloric needs. Where's the rest coming from?

-Jay

okieterry

Jul 15, 2002, 2:28 AM
Post #39 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay,
Cool, I understand now. You had me wondering how you came up with that 60% fat number. And you've hit the nail on the head, the main reason why a low carb diet works is that it is hard to eat enough calories when you are just eating protein and fat.
Peace easy and Climb on,
Terry

seeking8a

Sep 5, 2002, 7:54 PM
Post #40 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there is some truth to the high protein low carb concept but I also believe that you do not need to eat meat or fish to benefit from this principle. I am a vegan (no animal products) and climb 5.12+/5.13a. I have never had a finger injury other than when I caught a guy falling over 100 feet with an ATC. I also disagree with the USFDA recomended intake of meat and dairy. You don't need either one. I do take a B12 supplement because there is not enough bacteria in this country to produce B12 like in other countries. I also agree with what someone said before, eating small portions is very important. By not overfilling your body you allow your body to focus on other things like building muscles and repairing tendons. I like experimenting with different ways of eating such as juice fasts, raw food, small meals, etc. I believe that you should juice food for periods of time to give your body a break, it takes a lot of work to break down food and extract the nutrients. Plus its pretty hard to eat 5 lbs of carrots, whereas I could drink a gallon of carrot juice. This is also a good way to jump start a weight loss program. I find that I still have plenty of energy on multi-day juice fasts. If you do a long juice fast, ease into it by eating only raw food for a day before and a day after, this is a good transition diet. Ok, enough of me spraying about my philosophies. I need to get back to work.

thrillseeker05

Sep 5, 2002, 8:12 PM
Post #41 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoy rice, veggies, tofu and beer.. with girls for desert

climbjs

Sep 5, 2002, 8:44 PM
Post #42 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bean burritos and Bud Light

climbingpride

Sep 5, 2002, 9:09 PM
Post #43 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Top Romen. Is there anything better?

And what would life belike without cerial?

spydermonkey

Sep 5, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #44 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spam and lots of it.

Spam is the new Ham!!!!

spyder

Eat up!

atg200

Sep 5, 2002, 9:32 PM
Post #45 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to eat animals that tourists enjoy looking at - deer, elk, antelope, etc. I also eat a lot of fish and shellfish. New York strips and ribeyes when my buddies haven't shot a bambi recently.

I avoid candy or anything with much sugar in it and processed food. The only time I eat food that comes out of a can is on a wall.

Beer is my downfall - I gained a lot of weight in a hurry when I started making enough money to afford all the good beer I like to drink. Hopefully the pounds will melt away now that I've switched to drinking mostly tequila.

rocks4jules

Sep 5, 2002, 9:53 PM
Post #46 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a suggestion, but try to eat all your food groups in 4 -5 small meals a day (not to exceed your avg. calories), drink lots of water, and be sure to work out - every day!!! Run, work on weights, climb, etc. -- and relax and drink beer! Have fun, don't stress, smile and CLIMB ON!!!

JULES

wlderdude

Sep 5, 2002, 10:40 PM
Post #47 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb lots better when I eat a powerbar or some other nasty tasting energy bar before I climb. I have a hard time convincing myself those junky bars do anything when I am choking them down, but I always have more energy when I do.

As a single starving student subsisting in a basement apartment without much of a kitchen, I find it hard to eat balanced meals. The best I can do is add frozen veggies to my rice-a-roni.

I always take a vitamin to fill in the gaps I wish I could fill otherwise. I take it before i go to bed. Is that a good time to take it or does that defeat the whole purpose of taking a supplement?

victoriaclimber

Sep 5, 2002, 11:33 PM
Post #48 of 60 (5886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't eat any red meat or poultry, so I try to get all my protien from things like Tuna, Beans and Tofu. The protien you get from these sources is easier to digest than protein from red meat, and it doesn't come with all of the excess saturated fat (ewww)

Since I started doing this, I went from 200 to 180 lbs, and my climbing has improved lots.

Oh yah, don't forget the carbs, your muscles need it to use all that protein your eating

L8R

jerelc

Sep 6, 2002, 3:46 PM
Post #49 of 60 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a book by Susan Clark on Sports Nutrition that might help with some of your questions on diet. It is based on activity and several other items. It might be a useful start for a healthy change.

[ This Message was edited by: jerelc on 2002-09-06 08:48 ]

danl

Sep 6, 2002, 3:59 PM
Post #50 of 60 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While climbing I eat candy bars and soda [snickers and coke being the preferred] Post climbing nutriton involves burgers fries and beer. Ocassionaly fortified with a slice of pizza.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook