Premier Sponsor:

jeep4evr

May 14, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #1 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

san diego restaurants
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is totally not related to climbing.. well, it is in a mediocre way. Me and some friends are going to be out in joshua tree to do some climbing, and we're going to be staying in san diego for a little bit.
My question. What are some secret food establishments that only the locals know about? I'm looking for something besides the same ol same ol, mundane IHOP, Applebees, Village Inn and Dennys. We're looking to immerse ourselves in the culture, mainly cause we plan on moving there after graduation.

Partner gunksgoer

May 14, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #2 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Re: san diego restaurants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This will be moved to community in... 4 hours?

chanf

May 14, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what parts of san diego?

chanceboarder

May 14, 2005, 8:26 PM
Post #4 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is totally not related to climbing..
then why is this being posted on climbing website? :roll:

jeep4evr

May 14, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #5 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its being posted on a rock climbing website because i dont go to any other forums. Anyway, we're going to be in the downtown area, not as far east as Santee or El Cajon. Mainly the coastal suburbs.

jtme

May 14, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #6 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bronx Pizza on Washington St. in Hillcrest

climbbaja

May 14, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #7 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lunch at Las Cuatro Milpas in San Diego's Barrio Logan
inexpensive, funky, and a cultural experience
http://www.epinions.com/Las_Cuatro_Milpas

Bombay in Hillcrest area (Indian food) Went there last night. Try their mango chicken and specialty naan breads.

Indigo Grill, Downtown/Little Italy area. Unique menu and presentation. Somewhat pricey, and worth it. Menu is in the local SBC yellow pages.
Same chef has the Kimo Sabe restaurant.

Pizza Nova, a local favorite. Moderate prices. Exotic pizzas, pasta, huge tasty salads.

Khyber Pass, Hillcrest. Afghani

Peohe's in Coronado. Pricey, tourons, awsesome view of SD bay/skyline. Seafood and Hawaiian theme. Take the ferry from downtown SD to make it an event.

Todai in Mission valley area. All you can eat, top quality buffet, Japanese, seafood, sushi. The array of choices is unbelievable, laid out in a food counter over a half pitch long! Last I went there, dinner was around $23, and I got my money's worth!
www.todaisd.com

So many good places to choose from. As a local, I tend to stay away from the touristy areas of the downtown/Gaslamp district, Seaport Village, La Jolla, Old Town. Not so much because of the food, but rather the parking and frickin' tourist drivers! Pacfic Beach has many cool places to hang, eat and drink. The summer scenery is superb if you are into blonde and tan...

tritype3

May 14, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #8 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you like or have never tried vietnamese food Dao Son's is a must. Since i dont know where you are coming from or your navigational abilities i am not going to try and give directions, besides the fact that they could be faulty from me. But look these guys up and get directions, awesome meal. Another good place is a little down the road from there called Brian's Diner. Great burger joint. Any burger flavor you could imagine. There is also the Corvette Diner in Hill Crest, a little 50's diner.

jeep4evr

May 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #9 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome! thanks everyone. ive jotted down those places. its more fun to experience the lesser known places, like those that most tourists will probably never think about going to.

hosebeats

May 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #10 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second Pacific Beach. Lot's of small places that have pretty decent food. Oh, and don't forget to get a fish taco while you are here.

horseonwheels

May 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #11 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the Pizza Nova suggestion, everything there is great.

Also in Hillcrest; Hash House Agogo. It's maybe a bit more expensive than some of the other places mentioned but everything there is unbelievably good, and big!! Really a breakfast/lunch place, but definately go; if you can get in!!

renxarox

May 14, 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #12 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hill crest is always good for eating, brunch, dinner, whatever.

best thai food in hill crest; celadon, corner of university and 5th

sambuca on university in hc also has some awesome italian inspired food, a little pricey but worth every cent.

pb is not as good as hc for dinner in my opinion but it does have lots of nice brunchplaces like the garden cafe on cass street, super nice

oh, and since you climb and probably will end up in valley of the moon sooner or later i can strongly recommend stopping by jacumba on the way back to san diego. in the middle of jacumba there is a restaurant (the only one in jacumba?) that serves the best schnitzel on the west coast, they also have hottubs filled with water from their own spring, definitely an "off the beaten path" kind of place and definitely worth a visit. after a weekend of climbing in the valley there is no better place to go.

Partner kimgraves

May 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #13 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try chowhound.com.

Best, Kim

jeep4evr

May 15, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #14 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright, hill crest and jacumba it is! awesome everyone, thanks again!

erisspirit

May 16, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #15 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to Lips in hillcrest...you'll be in for uh... big surprise... :lol:
just make sure your an open minded person

Partner blazesod

May 16, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #16 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mexico Viejo in Encinitas has bomb proof Carne Asada burritos for cheap.

There is a good Indian/ Thai or whatever food place in a new strip mall off El Camino Real and Leucadia. Try the Saag (order mild) and some flatbread.

There is a little taco joint off Oceanside Blvd and the 5 with good fish tacos as well.

Sushi-n-joy in Carlsbad/ Vista has great sushi for cheap when their good chef is working. Exit 78 near El Camino, turn toward Trader Joes (left or right 1 block.. honestly don't remember) and it's in the same strip mall.

For fine dining I recomend Ruth's Chris steak house either at Del Mar or in the harbor but you will spend a pretty penny.

If you are looking for some specific kind of food i.e.) Itialian, ask and i'll send more beta.

-Dave

Partner phaedrus

May 16, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #17 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Community.

jeep4evr

May 16, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #18 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you are looking for some specific kind of food i.e.) Itialian, ask and i'll send more beta.

-Dave

Yeah, not really anything specific. I just know that any city, no matter how big or small, has its own special restaurants that are a "city tradition" and unless you're a local you don't know about them. Thats what I wanted the heads up on.

NOW, a restaurant called Lips... sounds intriguing... I dunno. We'll see how openminded I am when we pass by it, I know about you California cities! :shock:

erisspirit

May 16, 2005, 7:11 PM
Post #19 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
NOW, a restaurant called Lips... sounds intriguing... I dunno. We'll see how open minded I am when we pass by it, I know about you California cities! :shock:

HAHAHA its a fun restaurant but I would HIGHLY recommend knowing what your getting into before going :lol:

The restaurant

:shock:

krga20

May 16, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #20 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Juanita's Taco Shop in Encinitas off of HWY 101 is really good...Go a little north of Encinitas Blvd on 101 it's on the westside. You won't regret it. Plus you can take it to go and enjoy the surf at moonlight beach.

jeep4evr

May 16, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #21 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on, thanks again everyone. And since this IS a rock climbing site, if anyone happens to be in joshua tree during the first or second week of july, always up to meet some of you and climb.

crotch

May 17, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #22 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Mission for breakfast. Roberto's for Carne Asada (don't forget the Horchata).

Partner bear829

May 18, 2005, 4:32 AM
Post #23 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say if you want real good pizza...Philippe's. Its near the airport. You have to go through a deli and whatnot, but its great. And for breakfast, if you like doughnuts, go to Scotties. But I can't remember where that is because its been quite a while since I have been out there. Also, Weinersnitzel and In and Out, but those aren't small things, but local favourites.

~Bear

sc_climber

Jun 30, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #24 of 24 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For fast-food Mexican, try Santana's (can't go wrong w/ their CA burrito).

O.B. has some great spots too. South Beach Bar & Grill (da kine fish tacos) and Hodad's for burgers.

If you like sushi, check out Sushi Deli downtown...inexpensive and very tasty!

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook