Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Cat Urine destroys $3000 in gear. Should I kill the cat???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

renohandjams

Jun 6, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #1 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Cat Urine destroys $3000 in gear. Should I kill the cat???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

I hope my huge misfortune can warn people about what not to do. NEVER ever EVER put all of your new climbing gear in a cardboard box on the floor where your cats can get to it, or even climb on top of it.
I'm one of the buyers for www.TradRack.com and I had just ordered 3 grands worth of new cams, nuts, etc.. and the likes, just a large assortment for the new year of goodies and when the shipment arrived I opened the large box, counted it in and put it under a table in my house before I went climbing up at Donner. A couple days later when the manger came to pick up the box I pulled it out and I saw one of the biners was corroded. Upon further examination I realized that my cats had found a new litter box and had been sh**ing on the gear for almost a week. The gear wasn't salvageable and guess who got stuck with all of the gear? Me. So now I have 3 grands worth of extra personal gear that I didn't really need that is corroded and stained, a constant reminder of my stupidity when I climb with all of it.
Cat urine must have something in it that is very corrosive because it ruined EVERYTHING. I can't even wash it off. Does anyone have any suggestions so I can salvage the gear for my own personal use? I'm really nice and I love my cat, but I've on the verge of kicking it across the living room! Has anyone else ever heard of a problem like this?

-Kenny

renohandjams

Jun 6, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #2 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Cat destroys $3000 in climbing gear, should I kill the cat? [In reply to]
Report this Post

I hope my huge misfortune can warn people about what not to do. NEVER ever EVER put all of your new climbing gear in a cardboard box on the floor where your cats can get to it, or even climb on top of it.
I'm one of the buyers for www.TradRack.com and I had just ordered 3 grands worth of new cams, nuts, etc.. and the likes, just a large assortment for the new year of goodies and when the shipment arrived I opened the large box, counted it in and put it under a table in my house before I went climbing up at Donner. A couple days later when the manger came to pick up the box I pulled it out and I saw one of the biners was corroded. Upon further examination I realized that my cats had found a new litter box and had been sh**ing on the gear for almost a week. The gear wasn't salvageable and guess who got stuck with all of the gear? Me. So now I have 3 grands worth of extra personal gear that I didn't really need that is corroded and stained, a constant reminder of my stupidity when I climb with all of it.
Cat urine must have something in it that is very corrosive because it ruined EVERYTHING. I can't even wash it off. Does anyone have any suggestions so I can salvage the gear for my own personal use? I'm really nice and I love my cat, but I've on the verge of kicking it across the living room! Has anyone else ever heard of a problem like this?

-Kenny

pmyche

Jun 6, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #3 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cat Urine destroys $3000 in gear. Should I kill the cat? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Your cats have been trained to use a box--that's exactly what they did. If anyone deserves to be kicked across the room, it's the ignorant dolt who left the box of valuables where the cats could do with it what they've been trained to do.

Maybe you could learn something (like your cats have). You, as a human, are supposed to possess superior intelligence. [edit]

horseonwheels

Jun 6, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Cat urine and its source (the cat) are the cause of most societal problems. They ruin carpeting, resale value, subfloors, relationships, and apparently climbing gear, and after they do it they give you a look like it was your fault. Don't "kill" the cat, just take him up in the moutains and let him roam free. There he'll be prancing and dancing in the forest, unable to destroy any more beautiful climbing gear.

exposeur

Jun 6, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #5 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cat destroys $3000 in climbing gear, should I kill the c [In reply to]
Report this Post

wow, that sucks.

pmyche

Jun 6, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Poor suggestion, horseonwheels. Abandoned pets are the source of a lot of suffering. The casual inhumanity toward "mere household pets" amazes me. In part, it's mentality like yours that perpetuates the pet overpopulation problem.

If one isn't willing to own up to responsible pet ownership, find a new owner for the animal who will. If that's not convenient enough, surrender the animal to a shelter where it can be adopted or will be destroyed humanely.

ben87

Jun 6, 2005, 6:16 PM
Post #7 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

my advice is about the gear not the cat:

It sounds like you're still using that stuff - DONT. Or at least trash all the slings, runners, etc. anything nylon. Urine, human or cat, is very bad for nylon. The hardware might be ok... that I know less about, and maybe someone more expert than me will chime in.

t-dog
Deleted

Jun 6, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #8 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

you locked your cat in the house for a week and you're surprised that he peed and pooped somewhere he wasn't supposed. Gee, is anyone surprised???

It's one thing to bail for a week and leave your pet at home, it's quite another to lock them in the house so that they can't get outside to do their deeds.... sheesh, and now he's blaming the cat!!!!

spokewrench

Jun 6, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
destroyed humanely.
have you got change for a paradigm?

to the op, its a proven that if you piss off your cat, your cat will piss on your stuff.
one time all i did was change the brand of cat food, my just folded fresh out of the dryer clothes got pissed on before i could put them in the dresser, another time one of my cats jumped on the dinner table when i wasnt looking or even around. he stepped into a hot plate of pasta and scolded one of the pads on his feet. as soon as we got home from the vet to get it checked out he found a barnes and noble bag with 2 new magazines and a book to spray all over.

bigjonnyc

Jun 6, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #10 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Maybe you should pee on your gear too, just to see just how much fun your cat was having while you were gone.

horseonwheels

Jun 6, 2005, 6:26 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Poor suggestion, horseonwheels. Abandoned pets are the source of a lot of suffering. The casual inhumanity toward "mere household pets" amazes me. In part, it's mentality like yours that perpetuates the pet overpopulation problem.

If one isn't willing to own up to responsible pet ownership, find a new owner for the animal who will. If that's not convenient enough, surrender the animal to a shelter where it can be adopted or will be destroyed humanely.

Pmyche, perhaps we shouldn't be so serious here :roll: . Obviously the OP isn't going to kill his cat, and I'm not seriously suggesting that people should dump their pets on the side of the road (hence the "prancing and dancing" :lol: ), but I think everyone here already knew that.

epic_ed

Jun 6, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #12 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Urine, in general, has been found to significantly weaken nylon products -- ropes, slings, etc. If that kind of gear got saturated and was soaking for a week, retire the gear. If it's a cam, I'd think seriously about having it reslung. I don't know anything about the Ph balance vs acidity of cat piss to other types of piss, but I know it's one of the most vile substances on the planet.

I have two cats. We moved recently and have had boxes every where without incident. Cats can be definitely trained to go in one particular area and they normally distinguish between the usual "box" and others. There can be many reasons why they don't use their littler box -- some of the behavioral, some due to environmental problems. One of the environmental factors that can motivate a cat to piss all over is if you have a dirty litter box. Box gets full? Time to move on to another, cleaner potty. I have no idea if this is the case -- there could be a thousand reasons, but something to kep in mind.

If it were my cat, it would be on the BBQ tonight.

Ed

pmyche

Jun 6, 2005, 6:28 PM
Post #13 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
destroyed humanely.
have you got change for a paradigm?

to the op, its a proven that if you piss off your cat, your cat will piss on your stuff.
one time all i did was change the brand of cat food, my just folded fresh out of the dryer clothes got pissed on before i could put them in the dresser, another time one of my cats jumped on the dinner table when i wasnt looking or even around. he stepped into a hot plate of pasta and scolded one of the pads on his feet. as soon as we got home from the vet to get it checked out he found a barnes and noble bag with 2 new magazines and a book to spray all over.

Absolutely, cats can and will act emotionally. If a person can't get past that, the person should not own cats.

RE: destroyed humanely. Compared to starving in the wild, euthanasia is humane. I'd prefer no animal be desroyed, but what we do/have done as humans has left little alternative.

reno

Jun 6, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #14 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

There's a duplicate of this thread in General, so I'm locking this one.

Thanks to all that offered input.

reno

Jun 6, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #15 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

reno locked this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

reno has locked this thread.

buckmanriver

Jun 6, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #16 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Take your climbing rope, and clove hitch it around your cats neck; tie the other end to your car and get on the high-way.

spokewrench

Jun 6, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #17 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

why did the dupe of this tread get locked and not this one? the other had quite a few replies going.

renohandjams

Jun 6, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Cat was forgiven. Thanks for your input [In reply to]
Report this Post

I didn't leave the cat alone, I just didn't notice anything was happening to the gear until it was too late. I didn't know about the nylon because the damage isn't as visible as the corroded metal. Thanks for the tip, I'll just get the cams reslung, or maybe I can mark them as my aiding gear. I don't know, it just sucks. Just remember to keep your gear away from ANY animals, or anything else that could damage it. I hope this never happens to anyone else.
Sorry, I'm new to the forum, still learning how to post stuff.

"Bolts, the Murder of the impossible"

-Kenny
http://www.TradRack.com Buyer

bluenose

Jun 6, 2005, 6:52 PM
Post #19 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Happens all the time.

Cats find something new at home and have to make it smell like their stuff, good old marking instincts. It they can't make it smell right they'll crap on it too, cause now they're pissed...literally.

We had to get rid of two cats for this reason. Our new daughter was the culprit. They kept leaving "presents under the crib. This didn't last too long before the cats were gone though. Ruined the carpet.

It was too bad too, they were really nice well mannered cats otherwise.

pmyche

Jun 6, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #20 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Your cats have been trained to use a box--that's exactly what they did. If anyone deserves to be kicked across the room, it's the ignorant dolt who left the box of valuables where the cats could do with it what they've been trained to do.

Maybe you could learn something (like your cats have). You, as a human, are supposed to possess superior intelligence.

reno

Jun 6, 2005, 6:55 PM
Post #21 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

reno moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

reno moved this thread from Injuries & Accidents to General.

pmyche

Jun 6, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #22 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cat was forgiven. Thanks for your input [In reply to]
Report this Post

Right on, bro.

I can understand being livid with the cats in that situation. Sometimes they bring that out of us with the whacky (read: sometimes very bad) stunts they pull. Power to ya, and my apology if I sounded unsympathetic in the previous posts on this.

Regards,

Not-as-serious-as-some-may-think Mike

healyje

Jun 6, 2005, 7:13 PM
Post #23 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Try soaking it for 24 hours in Dr. Bronners pepperment soap, wipe metal with wd-40 after it is rinsed and dried, and then relube any active pro with something like the Metolius lube.

billcoe_

Jun 6, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #24 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Try soaking it for 24 hours in Dr. Bronners pepperment soap, wipe with wd-40 after it is rinsed and dried

That seems a little severe to me healyJe, it's just a cat. How about just kicking it once as a gentle reminder and then letting bygones be bygones. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geeeze, I'm kidding.

BTW, how come no one stepped up and said to send either the gear or the cat to them, like they aways do on those "I dropped my gear" questions.

Bil

horseonwheels

Jun 6, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #25 of 38 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
BTW, how come no one stepped up and said to send either the gear or the cat to them, like they aways do on those "I dropped my gear" questions.

Perhaps its testament to the hatred of cat piss everywhere. Even a bunch of greedy climbing gear-whores don't want free stuff thats been peed on :lol: .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook