Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

doosh

Jul 9, 2002, 1:16 AM
Post #26 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

liquid chalk is the shizit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

1. chalk goes in teh chalkpot.
2. my hand goes in teh chalkpot.

micahmcguire

Jul 9, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #27 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all, it takes about a second or two for it to dry, second, I don't buy that you "sweat too much for it to work." Alcohol dries your hands, so does chalk, that is like hitting one bird with two stones, ultra-effective.

arsenalcrater

Jul 9, 2002, 2:31 AM
Post #28 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, it does not take a "second or two" to dry. It took alot longer then a "second or two" to dry on my hands. I'm sure all hands are created non-equal. And yes, I'm sure the alcohol base, as also my consumption, will create a drier base, as my friend said. I have not tried the "cocktail" yet, so I do not know if it is benificial for "my" hands yet. So, keep your political, used car salesmanship to yourself!!! Unless you think all hands are created EQUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

micahmcguire

Jul 9, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #29 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a rational expanation for everything, and the explanation for this is probably that you are using alcohol that is not quite as pure. The higher the alcohol content, the faster it will dry. You are probably using something around 70%, try around 91% or even 99%. It will work much better. The only other explanation is that you are using too much, you only need a small dab. And hey, out of about 25 people who said they tried the stuff, you and one other dude are the only ones who seem not to like it. So you are wrong by statistic default. And hey, if you dont like my "political car-salesmanship" you can go straight to hell! I'm just trying to help, I'm sure as hell not profiting off of my freely given advise. You're the one who wants to talk smack. Bastard

[ This Message was edited by: micahmcguire on 2002-07-09 12:59 ]

micahmcguire

Jul 9, 2002, 7:56 PM
Post #30 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and yes, dumbass, unless you have some sort of glandular problem, all hands, more or less, are created equal. I love how people like you can spout off "witty" phrases like "unless you think all hands are created equal" without stopping for a brief instant to think rationally about what you are implying. Good job, stay ignorant, it will eventually help me make more money.

seamonkeyfight

Jul 11, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #31 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried the liquid chalk... Its good for the first initial chalk up before starting a route, but its impossible to chalk midroute. My hands sweat alot!

climbingthecorn

Jul 11, 2002, 2:29 AM
Post #32 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to think that mtngeo is on to something
Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol or 2-propanol) will definitely strip the oils in your skin, especially if you are using something as strong as 90%!! We use conc. isoprop in our lab at work all the time, and I would just caution against using anything stronger than the over-the-counter rubbing alcohol(same thing, generally no more than 70%). There are warnings all over the lab grade stuff that it can cause nerve damage, so be carefull with the strong stuff! I think mainly you don't want to huff it.

On the tangent about moisturizing after climbing, I have something that is probably akin to the hoof ointment but made for humans. It is called Aquamedic and is sold fairly cheaply in Wal-Mart in IA. One dose moisturizes for the whole day! I have to thank my buddy Lance for turning me on to this stuff.

Great Post!

TAAAAKKKEEE!

micahmcguire

Jul 11, 2002, 9:03 AM
Post #33 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you do realize that you can buy 99% isopropyl aocohol from fred meyer's right off the shelf right? and nothing that alcohol can do to your hands even compares to the damage that is done while climbing rock right? just a logical question hoping for a logical answer.

taxexile

Jul 11, 2002, 11:05 AM
Post #34 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For easy dispensing when high up on a pitch, why not just have a few "fixed" optics bolted to the crag at strategic intervals. Maybe one to dispense a shot of liquid chalk and alongside it one to provide some Dutch courage.

micahmcguire

Jul 11, 2002, 7:23 PM
Post #35 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roight! like a keg tap hooked to each bolt, that would be something! who would even need chalk?

Partner polarwid

Jul 24, 2002, 12:10 AM
Post #36 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbed with MICAHMCGUIRE the other day, and he let me try some of his liquid chalk. After feeble attempts to unclog the small opening at the top of his squeeze bottle , I finally was able to apply some at the base of our route. I took my chalkbag with me, but found it was not needed, even though it RAINED on us for the second half of my 30 meter lead. I found that it worked very well, and am going to mix a batch myself. NOW...if we can just find a better distribution/application system...

THANKS MICAH

timpanogos

Jul 24, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #37 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, if you use the 70%, ya have time for a Cigarette while it's drying! Ok bad idea - but then again, maybe the flash fire will dry/remove the oils even more, and the forged chalk will have even more staying power!

all joking aside, I need to try this.

p.s. My thought about on the wall applicator - I assume you can re-hydrate an evaported mixture? - the Chalk-ball concept might still be good - you just re-hydrate the ball to the proper consistency before climbing - maybe a womans nylon stocking would make for a good ball, that would allow for a paste to come through that would dry at about the right timing, and yet the mass within the ball would evaporate at a slower rate - next climb pour on more alchol, mush around abit, and climb on. - store in sandwhich baggy when not on the wall.

[ This Message was edited by: timpanogos on 2002-07-23 18:18 ]

bsperes

Jul 24, 2002, 5:55 PM
Post #38 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that I think using this is a great idea, but why don't you try a camel-bak type system. The system is closed to outside air except when being filled. Either use an existing bladder or make one. That solves your evaporation and transportation problems.

carnaged

Jul 24, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #39 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think anybody in my areas has tried liquid chalk...but thanks for the tip-off!

Kat

blacksamba

Jul 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
Post #40 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for all the chaps who are mixing up ethenol with isopropyl alcohol i would love to see their face as they attempt to find a bit of dutch courage in their chalkball.

I had a friend drink iso on a dare and he still suffers to this day.

But it sounds like a very interesting idea.

oh and I'm looking for a used car do you have anything in the Valley?

ben

the_elk

Jul 26, 2002, 12:29 AM
Post #41 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The liquid chalk thing does sound interesting... however... I would assume it to be a rather personal thing, because part of my whole climbing momentum is after a few moves, and any time I am preparing for another move I shake/chalk, whether it's on a grade 15 or 23 (australian grading). But I would be interested to trying it in a gym environment perhaps. Although my hands have never really suffered from not becoming calloused/leathery. It's quite off putting when you meet some blokes and shake their hand and you find you have tougher hands than them.
Does anyone know of anywhere in Australia you might be able to find this stuff? I haven't really looked, but I can't recall seeing it in any climbing stores or gyms.

joemor

Aug 6, 2002, 8:42 AM
Post #42 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contains: Magnesium Carbonate, Alcohol and Trimonogripohydrate.

thats whats in the comercial stuf sold in australia but god knows what the last ingrediant is?

i like the soap pump pack despenser idea........

gotto go and try to make some!

joe

crux_clipper

Aug 6, 2002, 9:07 AM
Post #43 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can buy liquid chalk through UNCARVED BLOCK.

Have you tried at places like Mountain designs, Bogong etc..?

lostangel

Aug 6, 2002, 12:14 PM
Post #44 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice form, you must really like it to post something that long lol, I read it though. I thought about using it mainly because of the alcohol in it, with the way my hands sweat I end up chalking up during the route alot and when I really start sweating (like when I am in the sun) there is no stoping it, everything gets slick!

john1987

Aug 6, 2002, 4:09 PM
Post #45 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

Concerning the idea of "taking it up there" I don't think you are suposed to I havant tried it but i think the idea is that it's suposed to last a good sized climb. The plastic bag in the chalk bag sounds like and interesting idea but by the type u unzip the bag you have already had your hand off of a hold for a while and it might not be worth it. I don't know anyways
Climb hard
John

hman

Aug 6, 2002, 6:50 PM
Post #46 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is liquid chalk sold in any major climbing stores?

drake0

Aug 7, 2002, 8:21 PM
Post #47 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just made some and tried it out at the gym. It gives me wood.

Drake

beyond_gravity

Aug 7, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #48 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made some and it totally sucks. Either I made it wrong, or whoever says it stays on the whole climb is smoking the wrong bush!

xanx

Aug 8, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #49 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i made a bunch today out of 91% iso and the worst chalk in the world - that crappy pharmacuitical grade Bison stuff. Basically, here is waht i found:
1) you want it to be like yogurt, still runny enought that it is easy to use i.e. not pasty at all;
2) it is a heck of a lot better than normal Bison chalk
3) its just plain fun
4) Metolius Super Chalk is still da bomb, but i would use my liquid stuff mostly on really really hot, humid days every now and then just to use the alcohol to clean the oil and sweat off better; for real grip though super chalk is better.
I tried all this is the gym, but it stays on really well and keeps your hands dry. Of course, it was only like 78 F today, but im going to the gunks on Fri. and i'll check it out then and let you all know how it goes.
I made the chalk really really fine before adding the alcohol; does anyone leave it in gritty?

beethovenboy

Aug 8, 2002, 4:16 AM
Post #50 of 79 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I like baby oil because it's less messier than lotion and it heats up with the motion and friction and...ooops...wrong subject.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook