Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bvb

Jun 14, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #26 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Re: 30 to old to start? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

doublepost postcount++

Partner drector

Jun 14, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #27 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...quite the contrary. Parents who consider their life to be their kids, and put their own life on hold for 18 years may well be lousy parents.

I had the same thought and I'm glad to see when I read more of the thread that someone else could articulate it so well.

There are so many bad parents out there that don't rock climb nor do anything else interesting away from their kids that I think it's stupid to think that taking up a new hobby or sport when you have kids is somehow wrong. It may be wrong for Billcoe_ but it may not be wrong for you. It's up to you to decide... after you try it.

So to the original question; I was about 35 with a four year old when I took up climbing. I'm not a mom and I'm not single so I don't know about that aspect of it but I recommend trying as many different things in life as is possible. You and your kids will benefit from it in the long run. I love climbing.

Dave

bensnyder

Jun 14, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #28 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You have already made a choice, do not stick society with the bill and be a Maisey Bird and expect Horton to hatch your eggs.

Quel bon homme... :roll:

PS - Never take a 50 year old packing Dr. Seuss references too seriously...

mother_sheep

Jun 14, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #29 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but I recommend trying as many different things in life as is possible

Words to live by!

I started when I was 29. Now I'm 32. With every passing year I', climbing stronger and learning more. So I'd say that it's not too late. It's too late when you're dead.

And I'm a single mother with 50/50 custody of her sons.

Happy mother = happy children.

Partner macherry

Jun 14, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #30 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm going to have to jump in.

I started climbing when i was 41 years old. I have two kids in their teens, and a partner who only comes home on weekends which basically makes me a single parent.

Climbing is a big part of my life. My kids climb. They have to suffer through stories of my road trips and sometimes make dinners for themselves when i don't make it home in time. They've also suffered through being dragged to triathlons, mountain bike races, and running races. They know these activities are part of my life, what makes me who i am. i believe i am a better role model for being involved in these activities and the skills i have gained through these activities have been passed on to my kids.

maybe poor bill doesn't want his wife to be influenced by women who are actually getting out of the house and enjoying life.

cedk

Jun 14, 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #31 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 isn't too old to start but you'll be kicking yoursef for the other 20 years you could have been climbing. On the bright side your children will never have to go through that because you'll be able to start them young.

Climbing can add so much to your life. Begin at once.

Besides, you never know when you'll get decapitated by a jet ski like that chick who sang Fairy Tale of New York with the Pogues. (That was news to me. For some reason I thought she died of cancer.)

skinner

Jun 15, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #32 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not like you are going to be heading out tomorrow and doing 30 pitch multi-day climbs. The local gym, or local crag is a more likely scenario. And who cares if you have to drive hours to get there? Go with friends, take your kids, take your friends kids and make a day of it. Strap your 8 year old in a harness and have fun. The years tick by pretty fast, and in no time you may find yourself watching your kids at the crag leading while his/her brother or sister is belaying. That's exactly what I did this last weekend, and believe me it's a great feeling. While the other parents are wondering and worrying about where their kids are at and what they are up to, I am with mine participating in an awesome sport.

30 is not too old by any means. And this Bill dude is making a lot of wild assumptions assuming that you are just going to abandon your kids and take up the life of a dirt bag climber. I know lots of parents that chose to stay home with their kids, yet every time I go there I get the feeling that it's the TV and the X-Box that are raising them.

I say go for it, and get your kids involved in whatever capacity, even if it’s just being outdoors with you.

Here is a shot of my son who just turned 12 at the end of May. He is rapping off of first of 5 leads he did last Sunday. His friend of the same age climbed with him and the alternated between leading and belaying all day, while we climbed on adjacent routes.

http://www.netspy.net/...tch/fx/Kyle01-sm.jpg

What I am trying to say is, climbing is a great sport, no matter what age you are. Do it for yourself and your kids, and ignore all the Bill's of the world.
Have Fun
Climb !

tlacey

Jun 15, 2005, 1:53 AM
Post #33 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the idea has intrigued you, pursue it; if you find you like it (or, as the case may be, are addicted to it), you'll never regret it. Depending on your kids' age, have them join in-- kids are natural climbers, and climbing is a great confidence and closeness builder for children and adults alike...

I gotta' believe you're better off starting in the gym. Rent or borrow your equipment for a little while; buy only once you're convinced you're in it for good (and then the buying never stops). Get after it before any more time gets out from under you. Cheers.

Go for it! I'm 42 and recently started. I first climbed 10 years ago and enjoyed it, after breaking up with my climber bf, I didn't have the means and put it on the backburner.

Now I'm blessed with a son who climbs and got me back into it, so far we've had great buddies/mentors who are patient and really make sure we are learning and climb SAFE.

Our gear consists of harnesses, shoes, biners, atc's and a 60m rope. Gear isn't cheap, but this has afforded us more climbing opportunities. When we go out our mentors can set-up an easy route with our rope, while they use their ropes for harder routes. Everyone gets to belay and try different stuff.

We climb outdoors, but I'm starting to think about the gym. My son goes to one and I've seen it's a great place to practice and get in better shape.

Good luck and have a great time. I absolutely love it and hope you will too. :)

wingstoo

Jun 15, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #34 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heck no!

I started climbing in my local gym when I came to drop my son off at a birthday party. I was going to leave when it began to rain HARD. So I sat my butt on the bleachers and watched. After a few minutes I thought: This is really stupid. Here I am sitting while he's out there exercising and burning off calories. So I rented a harness and decided to try it.

It's been almost three years now and I'm having a great time. And it's an awesome form of exercise. Far far more interesting than boring machines in a gym. I'm so lucky to have a great climbing gym near where I work.

I was 44 years old then AND female and I hadn't climbed on anything taller than the bed for probably 30 years.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.
Be advised though, you WILL break your nails. That is, if you don't cut them off first ;) For some odd reason, this seems to upset some women.

I'm willing to sacrifice the nails in the name of fun and exercise and the looks I get from people when I tell them that my favorite form of exercise is climbing :D

tradrenn

Jun 15, 2005, 2:17 AM
Post #35 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm a 30 year old single mother wanting to start rock climbing. Never been, never tried but always desired to learn. I don't live near an indoor climbing gym and don't no of anyone who actually rock climbs. So as you can see I'm a little stuck. Plus my time is limited. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Hi Rozemary: Being 30 years old has NOTHING to do with it.

No you should not climb. Per your login info: you have chosen to have 4 kids who are under 8 years old. That is a major life decision you CHOOSE to do.

You need to follow through with the biggest committment anyone can make with their life. As a single mother it makes it even more critically important as you are the sole source for those kids. You have enough money to keep a roof over their heads already? Enough to help them through college or to get through all emergencys which you WILL see?

Do not climb, I highly recommend against it. Take your kids out for hikes so that you can be together as a family and learn of their lives, travails and problems of growing up. Spend time with them, go to the library in your free time, to museums, to lakes and beaches.

You have already made a choice, do not stick society with the bill and be a Maisey Bird and expect Horton to hatch your eggs.

I am not kidding. I'm a father 50 years old of 2 (loving wife of 25 years) Kids are almost grown. It's painful to spread yourself so thin and not hit your big priorities - which kids should be. I missed out on a lot of climbing when my kids were young. Now my daughters in college in another state and my son is bigger than me, I'm finally climbing more. Devote yourself to your family.

You asked.

Bill

I have to agree with Bill here

Climbing is a very lonely sport

I love it but it sucks.

you know what I mean, right ?

noman668

Jun 15, 2005, 2:34 AM
Post #36 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear lord, lighten up people...Climbing is lonely, life is hard, blah, blah, give it up already...I don't recall rozemarye saying she was going to abandon her kids and move to the Valley...
Don't listen to these sad folks!
I'm 30 and doing fine...go for it and take the kids out with you!

Partner macherry

Jun 15, 2005, 3:17 AM
Post #37 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm a 30 year old single mother wanting to start rock climbing. Never been, never tried but always desired to learn. I don't live near an indoor climbing gym and don't no of anyone who actually rock climbs. So as you can see I'm a little stuck. Plus my time is limited. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Hi Rozemary: Being 30 years old has NOTHING to do with it.

No you should not climb. Per your login info: you have chosen to have 4 kids who are under 8 years old. That is a major life decision you CHOOSE to do.

You need to follow through with the biggest committment anyone can make with their life. As a single mother it makes it even more critically important as you are the sole source for those kids. You have enough money to keep a roof over their heads already? Enough to help them through college or to get through all emergencys which you WILL see?

Do not climb, I highly recommend against it. Take your kids out for hikes so that you can be together as a family and learn of their lives, travails and problems of growing up. Spend time with them, go to the library in your free time, to museums, to lakes and beaches.

I am not kidding. I'm a father 50 years old of 2 (loving wife of 25 years) Kids are almost grown. It's painful to spread yourself so thin and not hit your big priorities - which kids should be. I missed out on a lot of climbing when my kids were young. Now my daughters in college in another state and my son is bigger than me, I'm finally climbing more. Devote yourself to your family.

You asked.

Bill

I have to agree with Bill here

Climbing is a very lonely sport

I love it but it sucks.

you know what I mean, right ?

fuck that, climbing is what you make it. Some of the best relationships i have built have come from climbing. Lonely is not a word i would use to describe climbing.

"the best climber is the one having the most fun"-----alex lowe

billcoe_

Jun 15, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #38 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rosemary, get out there, and give it a go. Its fun, relaxing, healthy, safe (yes it bloody well is) and you can do it with your kids soon. Getting your kids out in the wild is one of the greatest ways to be with them, and climbing won't bore them.

Bill. I make a living educating and auditing preschool teachers, which in denmark covers ages 0 to 6. I have done this for five years, worked in institutions for 4, and studied pedagogy at university for 8. And i have a daughter, and I'm 34.
I am not the least bit worried about Rosemarys kids, quite the contrary. Parents who consider their life to be their kids, and put their own life on hold for 18 years may well be lousy parents. You need energy, input, excitement on your own terms in order to have something to give your kids. If you're looking out from your life and not only in, your kids will benifit, because you are living a fuller life. Parents quality of life directly controls the kids quality of life.

I vote janjaf as the best rebuttel of my post. Thanks, I see need to reconsider.

What colored my thoughts was I had just came back from the valley where a young climbing couple in the campsite had a awesome little 2-1/2 year old. He was a great little guy, but having even 1 little fella definatly created big difficulties, but they worked around it, like swapping parenting roles and selecting climbs which were not long approaches or multi-pitches.

So 2 parents - 1 little boy = big and unusual parenting difficulties (which they handled great). That valley equasion I saw would be easier than 1 parent with 4 little kids, and that single child didn't appear very easy to me IMO. You aren't getting very far off the deck when the little guy needs that 3 hour afternoon nap and someone to change that dirty diaper couple of times a day along with all the feeding and watching etc etc.

You asked if your age is a consideration (it is not) on your origonal post, and did not mention the kids or their young ages which you do in your profile (major consideration).

I jumped to some conclusions based on my history (single mother did a fine job raising me and my 3 brothers when my father died when I was 18 months old) and the absence of some info in your post.

I really know nothing about you/your kids/finanial life/attitudes etc etc. I may have been radicially offbased and incorrect. Being a single parent with 4 kids isn't an easy road, I wish you well. Perhaps the best I can really offer is "organise and execute around priorities". Whatever those are FOR YOU.

And Bob, uhhh, I don't consider being a Mazama to be a bad thing although I'm not one. I may in fact be ridged and uncompromising (you make it sound like a bad thing)....but that "must be a Republican" slam sort of hurts dude! Ouch.

I have priorities and standards: as low as those are:-)

So I'm curious Rozemary, what are your thoughts now that you've seen all of this fluff?

Regards:

Bill

bvb

Jun 15, 2005, 7:16 PM
Post #39 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but that "must be a Republican" slam sort of hurts dude! Ouch.

ok, you're right, mea culpa, cheap shot. i take that part back. :wink:

billcoe_

Jun 15, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #40 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whew, thanks Bob, nice reach around.

So here's my reach around.

I re-read my origonal posts and I do sound real over the top strident. (Dicklike is a word that comes to mind - offensive). I didn't want to sound so far out as it reads, but there you go.

I should type slower or shut up. Except I already type slow so maybe I should just be quiet. You might tell us what city you live in and perhaps there are more resources there than either of us know about, and people on the board can describe them to you. Maybe it is feasable.

The real joy of living in the US is you can damn near define your life on any terms you want as long as you're not stepping into someone else's life. There is no 1 answer and anyone who says there is is wrong.

I sincerely wish you well Rosemary whatever you decide, it's not an easy road no matter which fork you head down.

Bill

acacongua

Jun 15, 2005, 8:30 PM
Post #41 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, it's not too old, especially if you're in good shape.

My suggestion is that you find somewhere that offers classes (JTree, Gunks, wherever you are). I drove four hours every weekend to a crag.

janjaf

Jun 15, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #42 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is really great of you, Bill. Good to see that some people on this site aren't to proud to reconsider their posts. Even if we disagree in part, we should all learn from your example here. :D

lambone

Jun 15, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #43 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NO WAY, 30 is young!

Case in point:
Stimson Bullit, Seattle Washington. Learned to climb in his 60's, now climbs every other day and leads 5.10 in his 80's.

climb on

skateman

Jun 15, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #44 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always decide to not climb.....and then in your 70's you may be saying my life was good, but could it have been great if only I had rock climbed as a youngster ;-) I could have been the next Lynn Hill!

I started at the ripe age of 41, and I'm loving it!

Dan

rb

Jun 15, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #45 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a guy i climb with who started bouldering a few years ago and he is in his fifties...he climbes at about v3-v5 boulder problem and 5.9 sport...his grandson got him into it i think

cchildre

Jun 15, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #46 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can only speak for myself. I started when I was 30 just as you are looking to. That was almost a year and a half ago, and it has been non stop since then. I jumped in right away and got into the thick of it. My partner, Topher, was at the time searching for his own partner and started dragging me out with him and I took to it immediately. I have been naturally strong, so getting started was a little accelerated in my case. I would say that six months in I had mastered the skills and the strength to climb on my own. In less than a year I have moved from an average, pasty white, urban guy into a ripped, tan, hardman. It has been a lot of work but I feel 10 years younger than I did last year. I should have gotten before and after shots, 230lb to 180lb. Get out go climb as I see plenty of good advice above. Find a good partner that is as motivated as you and you'll go far.

rozemarye

Jun 16, 2005, 5:05 AM
Post #47 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, a little over whelming but much appreciated. Thank you Bill for your apology. A big thanks for all your words of wisdom everyone. At least now I know that my age has nothing to do with it. But the question still remains where on earth will I find the time? I must be crazy!

Yes this will be difficult but I love the challenge of taking it on. I figure if I can take care of 3 boys ages 8, 6 and 5 and a baby girl. Maintain my property, home ect. all on my own without help from my ex than well anything is possible. Oh did I forget to tell you that my 6 year old is severely Autistic and has Epilepsy and my 8 yr old has ADD and Tourettes Syndrome.

And now your all wondering why would she or even thinks she could manage finding the time for rock climbing? Before I had kids I was an outdoor enthusiast. I've done extensive backpacking trips and expeditions, a little mountaineering, alot of fishing and mountain biking.
So I have all this under my belt but have always wanted to try rock climbing and possible get into more mountaineering.

I know all of this will take time but I figure if I can at least get out and do this, even if it's only a couple of times every year or so than at least I can say that I've done it. Oh by the way I live an hour in half North of Portland.

Again thanks for all the responses. Rozemarye

rozemarye

Jun 16, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #48 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, a little over whelming but much appreciated. Thank you Bill for your apology. A big thanks for all your words of wisdom everyone. At least now I know that my age has nothing to do with it. But the question still remains where on earth will I find the time? I must be crazy!

Yes this will be difficult but I love the challenge of taking it on. I figure if I can take care of 3 boys ages 8, 6 and 5 and a baby girl. Maintain my property, home ect. all on my own without help from my ex than well anything is possible. Oh did I forget to tell you that my 6 year old is severely Autistic and has Epilepsy and my 8 yr old has ADD and Tourettes Syndrome.

And now your all wondering why would she or even thinks she could manage finding the time for rock climbing? Before I had kids I was an outdoor enthusiast. I've done extensive backpacking trips and expeditions, a little mountaineering, alot of fishing and mountain biking.
So I have all this under my belt but have always wanted to try rock climbing and possible get into more mountaineering.

I know all of this will take time but I figure if I can at least get out and do this, even if it's only a couple of times every year or so than at least I can say that I've done it. Oh by the way I live an hour in half North of Portland.

Again thanks for all the responses. Rozemarye

hollywoodcragmonkey

Jun 16, 2005, 5:50 AM
Post #49 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="billcoe_"]
In reply to:

Although Bill may have come off a bit harsh, in a way I agree with him. I do not have any children, and I am not married, I pretend to know NOTHING about your world. Two years ago, however, I blacked out from heat exaus. in J. Tree, fell five feet, and broke my right ankle. I was unable to get around for a week or two, and unable to drive for three months. I know that as a single guy your age, the toll it took on my life and my health was pretty tuff on me. I can not begin to fathom what it would have been like with kids. I have seen people get hurt like this in the gym, not often, but it happens.

I think it is great you want to try a new sport, I started at 32 and was leading 5.10b a 14 months later. Nothing too special there, but I was happy about it. So, like Bill, I'm not sure it is your age that is a problem, but the fact that you can't afford the worse case senario. Or perhaps you can, I freely admit I am working with only the most basic of information here.

beaker

Jun 16, 2005, 7:26 AM
Post #50 of 79 (9544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense, hollywoodcragmonkey, but as a single mother of 3 (as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread) who does multipitch trad, I have to rebut again. What I'm going to say is just anecdotal, but it is true: I was out in the Black Canyon in Gunnison about a month ago (an admittedly dangerous place) and had a mini-epic with an unplanned bivy that could have easily turned into a distaster (we ran out of water, got hit by some rockfall, etc.). Thanks to a competent partner and conservative action, we escaped almost entirely unscathed.

A week later, I tipped a stool in the bathroom and fell one foot, almost hit my head, and sliced my shin open on said stool :oops: . I thank God I wasn't killed; my two youngest were already asleep and my oldest was gone (on a climbing trip of her own). I taped the cut up with climbing tape and went to urgent care the next day for some stitches to avoid dragging sleepy kids to the ER.

Ironic, huh? It's a terrifying thing, being alone in a situation like that. It shook me up more than the Black incident. See previous posts about Kristy McCool..... :) I think you see where I'm going with this.

One other thing....I'm no real feminist (I like being a girl and I LOVE being a mom), but I wonder if some posters would be so conservative in their views if it were a single father asking? Not trying to start something, just curious.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook