Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

raymondjeffrey

Jun 21, 2005, 3:55 AM
Post #76 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Why I started climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw some amazing pictures of people high above the ground. The people in them looked like they were doing important things spiritually speaking, and having one hell of a good time. It looked technically challenging as well. I also liked the idea of experiencing nature from a different vantage point. Now when I am driving around Phoenix and I look up at different formations from like 25 miles away I say to myself "I know what that formation looks like up close". That, I think, is so cool.

damon99

Jun 21, 2005, 3:58 AM
Post #77 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why I started climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

was a bet with a friend at REI "i bet you $5 you wouldn't climb on that 60' pinnacle". Loved it ever sence.

steezy

Jun 21, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #78 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to run away from my parents I used to climb 150' trees in VT when I was 6. Word em up.

sick_climba

Jun 21, 2005, 4:28 AM
Post #79 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

re [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just a question. . . why did you start to climb?

i started because i love the outdoors. i hike, and paddle too. i just started climbing about a year ago. i live in BC, and everytime i drove past The Cheif, i said to myself that i am going to climb it one day. it sounds kinda cheezy, but i also do it for the glory of God. i'm a Christian, and i believe that God wants me to have fun with my body and keep it in shape.
Me too. Love the out doors... hiking, running, walking, swming, most of the shabang. I do it because I love to do it and we have only got one life so why not have fun while we are here. I strted because well idk I thought it would be cool... so a friedn taught me, but I was wrong... ITS TOTALLY KILLER! Yeah I do it for another way to keep my body in shape as well plus I love the feeling after a good days climb where your are totally thrashed you muscles are burned out and your mind is spent, but you know you have done what the majority of people in the world don't you dare to climb rock. Plus its good quality time to spen with my girl and it gives me ideas for poetry and art work!
Climb on
Chris

harryhood

Jun 21, 2005, 5:30 AM
Post #80 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, I was 11 or 12 years old and my school class went on an overnight trip to this camp outside the city. They had a climbing wall, outdoors, built entirely of wood (holds and all) and painted greed. I remember being really really frustrated that I couldn't get more than 5 or 6 feet off the ground while other kids were getting way higher. From then on I was determined to eventually try again. Fastforward about 15 years and my little sister (7 yrs younger than me) has started climbing because there was a climbing wall at the camp she where she worked for the summer. I came home for xmas, she took me climbing indoors twice (boulder circuits) and I was hooked. Went and bought gear about 2 weeks later and have been half-as s climbing for the past year and a half. I'm just now starting to get really into it to the point where I try to climb twice a week or so... probably because I've finally started climbing outdoors. Real rock feels so nice.

4togo

Jun 21, 2005, 7:46 AM
Post #81 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word: "WHEEEEEEEEEE!"

korrigan

Jun 21, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #82 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Partner gamehendge

Jun 21, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #83 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I left a mango on top of a cliff. I was hungry. Climbed the face rather than go back up the trail. That was it for me. The mango was delicious. :)

shiggetyshiva

Jun 21, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #84 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before I was even old enough to know about rock climbing, I was always climbing trees and monkeying around on a 15' stone wall a neighbor had built around the outside edge of his property. Early on in high school i started bouldering and top-roping with friends, and ever since i've been hooked. I still remember the satisfaction of being designated to get the hackey sack off the roof in high school..... lie back the pole, reach up for the roof edge, cut the feet loose, heel hook and mantle finish. :)

sick_climba

Jun 22, 2005, 6:25 AM
Post #85 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Before I was even old enough to know about rock climbing, I was always climbing trees and monkeying around on a 15' stone wall a neighbor had built around the outside edge of his property. Early on in high school i started bouldering and top-roping with friends, and ever since i've been hooked. I still remember the satisfaction of being designated to get the hackey sack off the roof in high school..... lie back the pole, reach up for the roof edge, cut the feet loose, heel hook and mantle finish. :)
Totally sweet bro! I love buildering... I havn't been asked to get the sack down off of anywhere yet tho... come to think of it we havn't hacked in a long time!!! I NEED TO GO FIND MY SAND HACK! Peace
Climb on
chris

march

Jun 22, 2005, 7:24 AM
Post #86 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got to climb on an artificial wall outdoors and do some rappelling at a camp I took some students to. I loved the feeling and I've always loved the outdoors and sports like hiking, mountain biking, etc. and so then I had to take the next step and climb on some real rock. I took a basic class, got hooked, and the rest is history.

jlc325i

Jun 22, 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #87 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started because god loves me. He told me to tell you that he doesn't like you and to stop climbing. Christians don't climb.

In all seriousness, I started climbing to stay in shape and get some love from the ladies. I CONTINUE climbing for the simple enjoyment of it. I also kinda enjoy the technical thought of it (i.e. where to move...).

vertical_reality

Jun 22, 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #88 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Growing up I was contantly outside and loved climbing things... trees, rocks, whatever. I would look at the cliffs and want to climb them. When I moved down here to the DC area 5 years ago I took a trip to Seneca Rocks for some camping and found out it was actually a sport.

phmgeb

Jun 22, 2005, 1:27 PM
Post #89 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Climbing for a mentor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had been to theme parks before with this young man and I noticed he loved the rock walls that they had set up. This happened several times before I got the obvious idea of climbing locally. I took the course at a local gym (ET) and brought him with me when I took the belay test ... I passed, and he climbed. But after that, he went away. :-( The best laid plans...

sad beginning but currently, I am having a blast!

phmgeb

cchildre

Jun 22, 2005, 2:02 PM
Post #90 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why ask why?

Why ask why the OP asked why?

Partner j_ung

Jun 22, 2005, 2:21 PM
Post #91 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried it yet, but I hope to soon. Let me just finish my Coke.

http://www.rfcd.blogger.com.br/fat-chinese.jpg

skinnyclimber

Jun 22, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #92 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because the rocks were there and it looked like I could climb them. That and I was always looking for the best place to smoke a spliff.

Really the start was when I was like 5 or 6 my dad took me hiking in the Sandias and he climbed up some boulders, so I followed him. It was fun

Robin

cruxmonger

Jun 22, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #93 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Chicks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To get chicks....obviously.

jacobbelsher

Jun 22, 2005, 4:43 PM
Post #94 of 94 (6008 views)
Shortcut

god [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it sounds kinda cheezy, but i also do it for the glory of God. i'm a Christian, and i believe that God wants me to have fun with my body and keep it in shape.
In reply to:

haven't you heard? god is dead. Fred Nitszche killed him on a mountain top in the swiss alps and his body has been laid out for viewing in Freud's waiting room.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook