Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Has anyone with Long hair tried the No Rinse Shampoo?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

angelaa

Jul 1, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone with Long hair tried the No Rinse Shampoo?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

** I did a search on this but only found one mention of the stuff, so I thought I'd start a new thread **

I am going on a two week trip to Canada at the end of July and just happened across the No Rinse Shampoo (while checking out the Burning Man website :oops: ) and thought this might be an option for me.

I have pretty long (dry) hair that tangles easily and am concerned on how well it would work.

Anyone have any experiences with the stuff?

iamthewallress

Jul 1, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Re: Has anyone with Long hair tried the No Rinse Shampoo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried that, but if you are planning on car camping, I've had great luck with the sun shower!

angelaa

Jul 1, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope . . . not car camping - backpacking !!!

And we'll be carrying our climbing gear too, so no room or weight left for anything as frivolous as a Sun Shower. . . :cry:

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 3, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have long hair and have used the stuff, but never had to go long enough that it would have utterly necessary to rely on it. When I went on my first trip I thought my head would feel disgustingly gross by day 3, but I was pleasantly surprised that it just wasn't so.

The No Rinse shampoo didn't do much for me, but I think I would definitely yuse if, if I were going 2 weeks with no other option. If you do have access to water that you can heat up, I suggest doing that, running it over your head, massaging your scalp to loosen thing up and then using the shampoo, either before or after. You don't need a whole lot of water.....

That made a difference for me when I had to go several days between showers.

My hair also tangles easily. A wide-tooth comb helps get through that, after I've first used my fingers to comb through.

changling

Jul 5, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never tried the no rinse shampoo. I just use campsuds. There is plenty of water in Canada so there is no need to worry about not being able to rinse, and since campsuds works for everything, it's not really extra weight to carry.

spottyfish

Jul 8, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thing that works well is baby powder. Although I'm not sure how well it would work when used for 2 weeks.

I put it in my hair on mornings I don't feel like taking a shower. It just soaks up any grease and my hair feels clean and looks halfway decent all day long. It leaves a scent for a little while, but not for long.

lilfoxiq

Jul 25, 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that stuff killed my hair when I was backpacking in europe. my hair is more prissy than I and needs extra love. But, one thing that I do love in LUSH's dry shampoo. It is a little bar of soap. I'm not sure if it is all natural. But if you have a LUSH store near you I think you would go check it out. It got my hair squeaky clean, literally. then spritz on some leave in conditioner.

tradgal

Jul 28, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a lot of hair. Vey thick, very long (close to the bum), wavy. So you can imagine the problems. And, to be honest, I have spent days and /or weeks backpacking. Multiple days climbing. Multiple days paddling and have only had a problem once. While I was in Mexico I had to go buy some fabric softner(couldnt find hair conditioner, plus I didnt know Spanish) for fear i would come home with dreads.

My advise, if you are going to be backpacking, you should come across a watering hole to bathe in at least once a week. Rinse off then. Keep your hair in a tight bun, tangles and all. Not the most attractive, but will keep the most tangles out. And, the rinsing off will at least keep you sanitary enough until you can get home and give your hair the love it needs.

angelaa

Aug 3, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My advise, if you are going to be backpacking, you should come across a watering hole to bathe in at least once a week. Rinse off then. Keep your hair in a tight bun, tangles and all. Not the most attractive, but will keep the most tangles out. And, the rinsing off will at least keep you sanitary enough until you can get home and give your hair the love it needs.

Actually that is almost exactly what I did - about 1/2 way through the trip we took a rest day . . but noticed a big cave in the glacier down by the Kain Hut. . . so we took an after lunch walk down to the hole in the glacier and low and behold there was a bit of a (frigid) waterfall coming off the top of it - rinsed my hair and got brain freeze all at the same time. . . . it wasn't even that bad getting the tangles out - it took awhile b/c I didn't want to pull it all out but it wasn't that bad! - I was amazed :shock: Probably helped that I didn't wash it and that there was still some residual hair oils . . .

acacongua

Sep 8, 2005, 7:13 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I put it in my hair on mornings I don't feel like taking a shower. It just soaks up any grease and my hair feels clean and looks halfway decent all day long. It leaves a scent for a little while, but not for long.

A less fragrant option to this is that powder people use to thicken sauces like gravy. What the heck is it called? I tried it once, it works. If you don't rub it in, you have instant gray hair, which is great for theater!

clausti

Sep 9, 2005, 6:36 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

A less fragrant option to this is that powder people use to thicken sauces like gravy. What the heck is it called? I tried it once, it works. If you don't rub it in, you have instant gray hair, which is great for theater!

cornstarch?

buzz your hair. all the cool kids are doing it...

[i actually did cut my hair down to maybe 3/4" on top this summer, shorter on the sides. when i was camping for ~2 months. one of the most liberating things i've ever done, though not one of the most attractive.]

strongerthanyesterday

Sep 28, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he heh, my hair is lucky if it gets BRUSHED once a day...

lewisiarediviva

Sep 29, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I finally just went back to short hair. And my entire life is easier, climbing included.

bigevilgrape

Oct 2, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My hair varries from sholder length to the small of my back. I'm also insanely stupid and have a tendency to jump into any water and go for a swim when I get the chance. (as long as the air temp is over 60ish) I scrub my scalp and hair and thats that. Somtimes I go for some mountain suds.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook