Premier Sponsor:

blondgecko

Jul 29, 2005, 9:05 AM
Post #1 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

"English" lessons
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just driving a friend to the airport when he mentioned a friend of his who has just started a PhD in the US. Apparently, since she comes from another country (Australia) she is required to take weekly English lessons! Since she comes from an English-speaking country, these are limited to only :? 1 1/2 hours a week, learning how to say "tomAYto" instead of "tomAHto". It seems that anybody who wants to teach anything over there is forbidden from doing so in anything but an American accent.

I found this hilarious and disturbing in approximately equal measures. Is this just another of the many little insanities dreamed up by government bureaucracies, or something deeper?

kachoong

Jul 29, 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #2 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Re: "English" lessons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It seems that anybody who wants to teach anything over there is forbidden from doing so in anything but an American accent.
Well blow me down with a featha dusta!! Crikey! Are you sure? :shock: I'm gunna have ter scratch up on me translations.... I'll look a bit like a larrikin if I can't tell me AY's from me AH's.... I've gotta few classes to teach next year.... no worries though.... she'll be right, mate!! :wink:

blondgecko

Jul 29, 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #3 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock:

How did you reply to my message without viewing it???

Seriously, though... I understand that if you wanted to teach English, you should do so using the local accent and idioms, but for higher-level stuff? I'm not talking about teaching high schools - I'm talking about lecturing abstract topics at university level. Surely the accent is irrelevant to this?

strongbad

Jul 29, 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #4 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what school is this? It seems like someone might be blowing some smoke up your ass.

yak

Jul 29, 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #5 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Farken septics....

vivalargo

Jul 29, 2005, 5:14 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never once heard of this and I've been on the fringe of "book learning" institutes for ages. Sounds absurd to me, seeming that most English speaking countries produce more fluid speakers than us 'Mericans.

Tis a puzzlement . . .

JL

Partner j_ung

Jul 29, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BG, sounds like you got trolled, but in real life.

slobmonster

Jul 29, 2005, 6:40 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Many universities require some sort of English competency test for anyone who will be teaching, including TAs, Assistant Professors, etc.

There was an article in the NY Times about just this topic, June 24 2005:
In reply to:
Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

By ALAN FINDER; MICHAEL FALCONE CONTRIBUTED REPORTING FROM BERKELEY, CALIF., FOR THIS ARTICLE. (NYT) 1345 words
Late Edition - Final , Section A , Page 1 , Column 2

ABSTRACT - Many undergraduates at large research universities are in classes and labs run by graduate teaching assistants with limited English; students complain about lack of communication; problem is result of steep rise in number of foreign graduate students in last two decades, particularly in some fields; in engineering, 50 percent of graduate students are foreign born; in math and physical sciences, 41 percent of graduate students are; this is despite modest decline in number of international students enrolling in American graduate programs since 9/11 terror attacks; at least 22 states have passed legislation requiring universities to make sure teachers are proficient in spoken English; photo (M)

...though your friend is surely utilizing hyperbole to troll you.

pinktricam

Jul 29, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There was an article in the NY Times about...
Yeah, but it's the NY Times.

slobmonster

Jul 29, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Pink, the only document I remember you quoting is the Bible. And as we all know, it has no documentation, is plagiarized from many sources, and does not hold up to peer review.

blondgecko

Jul 29, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BG, sounds like you got trolled, but in real life.

:? I see.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh well... forget the OP - let's just turn this thread into one about this instead. That always seems to work.

In reply to:
Pink, the only document I remember you quoting is the Bible. And as we all know, it has no documentation, is plagiarized from many sources, and does not hold up to peer review

organic

Jul 29, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had class where at TA did not know the word "square" when trying to explain electron orbital configurations in organic chemistry. I guess having an australian take an english class is kind of stupid but seriously i don't understand how some of these teachers and TAs ever managed an interview, or how they filled out their application. i mean it is ok when your hot french TA has trouble speaking English but when you ugly chemistry TA can't speak english we have a problem.

reno

Jul 31, 2005, 6:16 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's of any consolation, the silliness isn't limited to non-residents:

My girlfriend, who has a Bachelor's, Master's, post-graduate work, and is 7 credits shy of her SECOND Master's, wants to take an EMT class. In order to enroll, she must take and pass a HS Graduate reading comprehension test.

Yes, a HS equivalency reading test.

Don't ask why, cause we don't know.

pinktricam

Aug 1, 2005, 9:17 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Pink, the only document I remember you quoting is the Bible. And as we all know, it has no documentation, is plagiarized from many sources, and does not hold up to peer review.
It must suck to lead a hopeless existence.

imnotclever

Aug 2, 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #15 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the same TA in calculus for three semesters straight. The first semseter he had just come over from Russia. He'd stand at the chalk board and point while stammering for a word to say, eventually he'd spit out a word that was usually wrong. By the third semester I could actually understand him, but by then my foundation on calc was very weak; partially because of him and partly because it wasn't my thing.

far_east_climber

Aug 2, 2005, 3:05 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... well over here (Hong Kong mainly - China aswell), when teaching English they prefer you to speak in a British accent. If not British then atleast American... but nothing more. You will be less likely to be hired here if you do not have a clear American or British accent. Not entirely sure why this is the case... but I guess, people have an unconcious idea that these particular accents are more attractive or maybe it's their way of ensuring dey don'ts gat shum funny eccented payple dettle make dem keeds speak weerd.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook