Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Apr 27, 2005, 2:59 PM
Post #76 of 111 (8466 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girly Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll climb hard but I will still let out a girly yelp on a big fall. :D

:) yup, i did that and didn't even take a big fall... lol... i was playing add on at the gym last night and my grip slipped off this silly piece of plastic... it caught me off gaurd and i yelped... when i got up i started to laugh pretty hard :)

climbingbetty22

Apr 28, 2005, 4:24 AM
Post #77 of 111 (8466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When my day of bouldering got cut short due to weather, one thought I had was, "Well, at least I'll be able to watch Sex in the City tonight."

I think that illustrates the paradox that is me quite nicely.

mindaa

Jul 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #78 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This poem is about Mt. biking... but I like how it illustrates this dichotomy.

Office Girl
by Hohna Cass
(published in Dirt Rag Magazine)

Meetings and small talk - professionalism
Cubicles, gray walls - is she in prison?
No, this is her life, why she longed to be old
when she was still young, she made this her goal
Office Girl.
But outside these halls is a chance to be free
No walls, no ceilings, just fresh air to breathe
Soaring downhill on her own two wheels
Her spirit flies with the freedom it steals
Every climb up means a chance to race down
Over rocks, over roots, past trees, through the mud
She's no Office Girl, she's "Office Girl Stud"
Monday morning finds Office Girl back in her chair
Coiffed and perfumed for the usual fare
She plays the work game like everyone does
But she's no slave to the water cooler buzz
She works by the hour, for the moments of power
When Office Girl wheels past the world in a blur
Office Girl Stud - that's her

Partner fateful_fortress

Aug 1, 2005, 8:48 AM
Post #79 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mindaa, I love the poem...illustrates this dichotomy real well indeed. :D

As far as how I feel on this topic, I am not one to conform to labels of any sort so I would say neither, even if I could pick one I wouldn't. 8^) But since you asked, I'll tell you that most people peg me off as a Girly Girl, but they couldn't be more wrong. Now, I'm not much of a Tomboy either so I'll just have to say that, I too fall in the middle grounds... :)

lil_rockgirl

Aug 1, 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #80 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the perfect question for me! I'm still in a huge identity crisis with this. :D

I'm a retired professional ballerina of the Russian Kirov Ballet. My favorite color has and always will be PINK. Up until about three years ago, my biggest concern was my weight! I'm not sure how much more girly a girl can get. (no comments please!)

I started climbing a little while back and fell in love with the sport. Now instead of dresses and skirts I wear cargo shorts and some half worn out T-shirt. My hair has gone from a tight bun in the back, to a messy pony tail that won't stay out of my face. My biggest concern is how the heck I'm going to make it to the top of this 5.9!!!

LIFE, is all together strange. I think I'm liking this whole Dirt Barbie thing...

sportclmbr20

Aug 1, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #81 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say I am a girly tomboy. I love getting dressed up to go out and have fun, yet I love sports, climbing and love wearing the capris sport top and messy hair. I would never wear make up or try to look pretty going to the crag, when I'm at the crag I don't mind not showering for the couple days i'm there. But on the other hand, if my boyfriend and I are going out, then I will make sure I look my best :)

alexis_86

Aug 2, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #82 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm definitely a weird mix of both. When people first look at me, they assume that I am one of those fragile girly girls because I'm very tiny and very fair. I see myself as more of a guy than a girl and behave like it, although I have some girly quirks too, like wearing mascara, being terrified to death of frogs, lizards and falling and sometimes, just SOMETIMES, I actually dress up, but I'll usually spoil the effect of nice clothes by wearing really battered Tevas with them. :lol: I keep my hair long but only because it makes keeping cool easier, just tie it up in a ponytail and it's all good. Being a girly girl is an acquired trait for me, I'm more comfortable with behaving like a guy.

junaid

Aug 2, 2005, 7:58 AM
Post #83 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I prefer the dirt barbie. To me a girly girl wouldn't be ABLE to go a day without a shower. I think A LOT of you that posted are not girly girl just because you like shoes or dressing up when the occasion calls for it. Most of you aren't tom boys either, just girls that like doing acive stuff (which society often tells us are masculine). Thats what I love about this 'dirt barbie' term, a girl who is feminine and physical. oh and someone was asking about dirty=sexy, personally the dirt isn't whats sexy, its the athleticism (A sweaty girl jogging is way sexy to me and not for the whole 'baywatch effect' reason). Oh and by the way you mainland climbers are so lucky to have plenty of rock and other climbers around. Not so here in hawaii.......dirt barbies are very hard to come by.

indynshrty

Aug 2, 2005, 7:52 PM
Post #84 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with calliope on this one...here I am at work (yes I know...bad me) wearing makeup and what not.
Yes, I like to go shopping, shoes are fun and new clothes are nice.
I don't like footballs, baseballs, etc being thrown at my face (bad experience when I was 11...still haven't forgotten about it)
Love climbing...love the way dirt feels on my fingers...don't mind chalk in my hair....
So not really a tomboy...but i guess dirt barbie is a good word for me.
:lol:

oldrnotboldr

Aug 2, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #85 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, I apologize for busting in, but when I saw the subject title I had to laugh. "Dirt Barbie"--This fits my 7 year old daughter perfectly. This past weekend she finished her second real rock climb (a 5.8 no less). Given her way, she prefers to go "commando" and shoeless (unless climbing). You almost have fight to get her in the tub, but she does clean quite nice and does like a pretty dress once in a while. She prefers climbing (just built a climbing wall for her to practice on, complete with a 11 foot tall chimney); bike riding, camping, tae kwon do, and most "guy sports stuff". You will seldom see her playing with dolls and such. She will gladly show off her scratches and bruises and explain in great detail where each came from. And oh, I can tell some really funny stories, like her running down a wilderness beach (less than commando) yelling "I'm free.....I'm free' and I won't even mention what she did with her brother's shirt!

She is definitely quite the girl, an up and coming brethren to the climber girls club!

litleclimberchick

Sep 3, 2005, 5:27 AM
Post #86 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am definitely a tomboy at heart, much to the dismay of my mother.

alisonut

Sep 8, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #87 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also the dismay of my mother a girly now senior citizenwho has never even pumped her own gas!! I went through a hippie granola stage in college when I didn't even shave. Most have us have never even seen the hair under our arms and I was really curious what color it was. (reddish) Strangely enough I didn't have too many boyfriends at that time. I think tomboy has more to do with taking risks than the way you look. There is that go for itness that boys in their early 20's have when they think that they'll never get hurt. A lot of us never really let go of fear or maybe it's self preservation enough to find out what we're capable of.

Partner macherry

Sep 8, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #88 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tomboy4lyfe!!!! most days i'm in workpants, jeans, or superbaggie shorts. As a child and younger woman i was always mistaken for being a guy. Yup, built like a guy!!!

I love sports, can sit and bull shit with the guys and discuss sport stats.

But, i have on occasion put on a dress. :lol: it does freak people out.

acacongua

Sep 8, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #89 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Girly tomboy. Or rather, Audrey Hepburn meets (well shoot, I can't think of any famous woodsie tomboys). Eloquent, yet capable. Eloquent, except I know the best dirty jokes. LOL

alisonut

Sep 8, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #90 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On second thought I guess I'm not really a tomboy...I hate rats...having leaches in my shoe...being covered by flies for any period of time..I don't mind getting dirty but creepy crawly stuff is not for me

lewisiarediviva

Sep 10, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #91 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girlie Girl or Tomboy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a girl I loved camping and hiking and when I was out I'd scramble any rock my dad would let me (far more than my mother aloud). I played basket ball and permed my hair. I wore Holly Hobby clothes that I made.

My sister and I had a row boat that we'd take through a swamp that we had to break the branches off of trees to get the boat through, really cool place when it was foggy out. Our barbies were tough, making roads and houses out of mud and bark, and Ken was their slave. We spent a lot of time in the woods around our home and behind my grandmothers. I rode bikes and horses.

I do put on the wild girlie clothing with the heals. I can paint my face depending on my mood. I either dress wild and fun (for work or "going out") or causal and ready for fun. I finally asked my hair lady, last year, how to use mouse and gel and all that stuff- 'cause I had no clue and I figured if I'm going to have a professional life I should play with it and see if I like any of it.

I have been wearing heals since sixth grade- I played kick ball in them, and did so in such a way you would all be proud. I now have knees that are paying for it- so I'm in the process of training myself out of them.

My parents almost think I'm perfect. And so far I think my daughter is perfect, except I had to rely on my 13 year old niece to teach her that having combed hair makes you prettier and that that is important.

Never considered myself a tomboy, and I've always been conscience that I am not a normal girl.

jylb

Sep 18, 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #92 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow-can't believe this link!!!! i live in LA, and where ARE all you cool chicks?!?! don't get me wrong, i have some terrific female friends that are pretty athletic, but when i do outdoorsy stuff, it's almost always just with the guys. if any of you are up for doing some tomboyish stuff with another one...feel free to drop me a line.

funny how i see so much of myself reflected in all of your posts...also i like the dirty barbie term, although it doesn't fit me very well. unless they've come up with one that looks like an athletic asian woman (and as long as it doesn't say "math is hard.") :wink:

actually, that brings up an interesting question, would you consider yourselves to have more feminist leanings than the girly girls you know?

peace.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 18, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #93 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"feminist leanings"

a debatable term. Can you be more specific?

jylb

Sep 19, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #94 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"feminist leanings"

a debatable term. Can you be more specific?

feminism is just wanting equality for women...in pay, opportunities, respect, etc. i was referring to people's reactions to many of the attitudes that make it harder for women to achieve these types of things. i.e. what was your reaction to the fact that a barbie was made that said "math is hard" and "let's go shopping." not that math can't be tough or that i don't like shopping now and then, but i personally find it annoying when women and especially little girls are encouraged to follow a stereotype that belittles their abilities (either mental or physical) and puts them into a mold.

it seems this forum fits that discussion...the fact that few of us really fit the mold of what has been set up as the stereotyped woman. we all seem capable of dressing up and being a "hot babe," but only if we WANT to, and you all seem to be strong, self-assured, adventurous folks. most people i know like this tend to be more sensitive to how women as a whole are perceived and portrayed. thus, i'm curious to see what you folks think about gender roles and whether or not you think you have more feminist leanings than most of the girly girls you know.

whew, long clarification!

harmonydoc

Sep 19, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #95 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm neither girly nor tomboy, I'm a strong, confident, intelligent woman who is equally comfortable dressed up/cleaned up or dressed down/dirty. Does this make me a feminist? I think that word means different things to different people. I don't like politics, and "feminism" implies political activism to me. However, I do recognize there are certain stereotypical gender specific differences in communication style that can handicap a woman in a predominantly male work environment if not recognized and addressed. I think the fact that I am a physician has automatically brought me a degree of professional respect.

I was raised to believe I could do anything I wanted to, and to value intellectual achievement. I was also raised to value nature and the outdoors, particularly the mountains. My "barbies" were Wonder Woman, Cher, and Brenda Breyer (horseback riding doll) - so I suppose even my dolls were career women of sorts. My favorite toys were legos - you could build all sorts of neat stuff with those.

This is not to say my formative years were completely smooth sailing. I was a "geek", not a "popular kid" (I didn't go to my senior prom), had my share of body image issues and teenage mood swings. It took me a while to bring my physical and emotional selves in focus with my intellectual self; I have only just recently become fully comfortable in my skin. It's a continual evolution, but I feel my challenges have always been more internal than external, that is, I don't feel societly has particularly limited me because of my gender.

deserteaglle

Oct 17, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #96 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dated a chick who was a jock one time, she had a six pack and worked out all the time. She would wear workout clothes or jeans and t-shirt or a dress and look hot in all of them. I appreciate it when a girl can not worry about all the crap that a lot of girly girls do, but it's nice when they dress up. I live in west texas and work at a scrap yard(kind of yard manager), I wear steel-toe boots, wranglers, denim button up shirt, and cowboy hat. All of that and my beard and I look about 5 years older than I am, and all the old good ole boys see me as one of them. It's not until I'm in camo shorts, t-shirt, beard, cowboy hat, and climbing shoes (this weekend out of town forgot tennis shoes and had to walk around town a few hours in my climbing shoes, i really wanted to cry after a while) that those good ole boys give me bad looks and mutter something about "Damn hippy." But then sometimes, only sometimes, I leave the cowboy hat at home, throw some gel in my hair, and put on some nice clothes. Only problem is I offset this all with my only three choices of footwear worn tennis shoes, steeltoe workboots, flipflops. Maybe that's the reason I don't have a girlfriend. :?

goofyc

Oct 17, 2005, 2:25 AM
Post #97 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would consider myself as an intelligent woman. I love to learn and am currently in college with an ultimate goal of becoming a psychiatrist. I consider myself a tomboy yet I still love to dress up and go out for a night on the town. I am comfortable in jeans and camping and climbing in the wonderful outdoors and am also comfortable being taken out for a night on the town to enjoy the richer things in life. :D :wink:

elshells

Oct 17, 2005, 3:19 AM
Post #98 of 111 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think of myself as a girlie girl for sure. I like wearing cute outfits climbing and I like my toenails polished. I am a clothing buyer so I go to NYC 3 times a year to fashion shows. My stack of magazines is Vogue, WWD, Lucky, Glamour, Rock and Ice, Urban Climber, and Climbing. :)
I hate all the scars I have from Mountain Biking (that is why I stopped). I hate how my feet smell after being in my climbing shoes. I like make-up and nice hair, and gucci sunglasses.

But sometimes my girlie girl friends are appalled at me not taking a bath for a week, or pooping in the woods (or porta-potty if available) or licking chocolate off my dirty hands. While my climbing friends think I am way to prissy and high maintainence on road trips...because I like my starbucks and I do go find a shower after 5 days and I don't like dirt in my tent. :oops:

sneex

Oct 17, 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #99 of 111 (8467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im a "torn jeans" on the bottom.. frills on the top type girl.

I'd have to say im a bit more of a tomboy... but i still get the heeby jeebies over things that most girly girls would get :P

Hard to climb too if your all about your nails :S
Although some would argue that rockclimbing is a manicure in itself... my nails always look more nicely rounded after climbing. hehe

tobefree

Oct 17, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #100 of 111 (8808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm definitely a tomboy. Jeans and a hoodie for me. Last time I wore makeup or curled my hair was at my wedding... but I still had Chacos on(they were white). And as soon as the ceremony was over I put on my carhartts and a hoodie for the reception.... What can I say, it was cold!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook