RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

seafood

Aug 1, 2005, 9:43 PM
Post #1 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

down sleepingbags in the northwest
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know all the pros and cons for down vs. synthetic bags, but is it really worth the size and weght for a down bag, especially if you live in the pacific northwest where it is usually raining? i am worried that my new marmot down bag will get wet, not from the rain but from the condensation and morning dew.

how much does the condensation and dew effect the bag, its warmth and comfortability?

yak

Aug 1, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #2 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

Re: down sleepingbags in the northwest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does your bag have a gore dryloft outer,if it does I wouldn't be too concerned about dew unless you sleep with your bag open.

andrewbanandrew

Aug 2, 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #3 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just asked this same question. What will you be using it for?

memory_hole

Aug 2, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #4 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used my Mountainsmith Wisp down sleeping bag all over the PNW and I don't have any complaints. It spent the night with me in snow caves last winter and got really damp, but it still insulated well enough for me to catch a few winks. I got caught in a thunderstorm at Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier in June, and moisture really built up in my cheapo non-breathable bivy sack, but the bag still did the trick. I'm inclined to believe that the perils of wet down are somewhat overstated.

dirtyleaf

Aug 2, 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #5 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes down can be used in the PNW. Just because it rains a lot here does not mean that your down bag will be turned into a sloppy bag of shredded wheat. Don't sleep in your down bag with wet clothes on. Always keep a designated set of clothes(thermals or lightweight nylon windshell) and lightweight socks dedicated just to sleeping bag use. Sleeping in a tent will create condensation and it will make your bag damp(no matter how nice your tent is this will happen) And whenever the weather is nice enough you should spend 30 minutes everyday while out traveling airing your bag out.

memory_hole

Aug 2, 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #6 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to carry the extra weight and bulk of special sleeping clothes for fear of getting your down bag wet, then I would recommend that you just go with a synthetic bag. The need for extra clothes pretty much negates the advantages of buying a down bag in the first place.

I've slept in partially damp to completely drenched clothes numerous times in my down bag and lived to tell about it.

ryanb

Aug 2, 2005, 2:15 AM
Post #7 of 7 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a 20 ultralight down bag without dry loft. Theory being that the dryloft just keeps the moisture from sweat in...

I also carry an endurence bag cover (lightweight and simple...no zipper) and have spent several rainy nights (and numerouse dry ones) with no aditional shelter. I have never been cold in the PNW with this combination and view it as the perfect fast and light set up. However, I would not recomend it for long trips when heavy rain is a possibility as it does tend to wilt the sleeping bag a littel and drying it out is impossible unless it stops raining or a cave can be found. I have often been too hot and had to resort to sleeping half out of the sleeping bag to keep from sweating too much.

Inside a tent I will generally use a few random objects to ensure I don't touch the walls and a good pad or two to keep me off the floor.

I chose to buy a nice down bag after wearing out a synthetic bag. Down stands up to heavy use (lots of time in the stuff sack on overseas trips for example) better than synthetics which tend to loose their insulating powers over time. By this point I was fairly confident in my ability to keep my sleeping bag dry. The weight saving and additional wamth is enough that I would not consider going back.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook