RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Aug 3, 2005, 2:56 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Swing that hammer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Posted in General because I'm not sure if this is a trad, sport, or gear heads questions.

I've recently been frequenting an area, there's scads of great crack climbs that all have clocked in at 5.12 or so. It's pretty cool finding an area that suits my style and is about the grade I want.

I can't walk off many (or any) of these routes. I've avoided a few because of this and have started adding anchors. ALL of the holes are going to be hand-drilled, it's good hard graninte, it takes a while. I don't mind, it's kind of fun. Anyway, I was thinking that a longer hammer like a framer uses might get the holes drilled a little faster, it's certainly longer than my little petzl hammer. Questions two I have.

1) Would the longer hammer damage the drill bit with the higher impact
2) Would this speed up the whole drilling process significantly or just make me more tired (I'm kind of weak).

Ideas?

esoteric1

Aug 3, 2005, 3:04 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Re: Swing that hammer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

depends on what kinda bits your using....

krisp

Aug 3, 2005, 3:09 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude,
You're a freak and nobody likes you. Just kidding, I like freaks anyway. Seriously, though, the last time you asked for input, (on this same area) people responded and you bit off their heads and crapped down their necks. It was really comical to read. :lol: Hope this thread goes that way.
Anyway, I don't know didily about bolting. I just thought it was funny that a guy who cranks 5.12 cracks thinks he's "weak".

slobmonster

Aug 3, 2005, 4:14 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something a bit bigger --heavier, as well as longer-- than your Petzl hammer (it is dainty, isn't it) will serve you well. But you can tire yourself quite easily if you choose to weild something too big. I use a Yo-style hammer, and its size and swing weight seems to be well-tested and reliable... there's a thread over on Supertopo that goes into it somewhat.

I assume you've drilled some holes already, so you're probably aware that really whacking your bit holder doesn't do well at all. It's supposed to be more of a tack-tack-tack kinda thing. With some twisting in the middle there.

Maybe borrow a friend's framing hammer for a day's test?

Partner angry

Aug 3, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude,
You're a freak and nobody likes you. Just kidding, I like freaks anyway. Seriously, though, the last time you asked for input, (on this same area) people responded and you bit off their heads and crapped down their necks. It was really comical to read. :lol: Hope this thread goes that way.
Anyway, I don't know didily about bolting.
That's one of my favorite non-community threads for sure.

In reply to:
I just thought it was funny that a guy who cranks 5.12 cracks thinks he's "weak".

Some times they crank me

Slobmonster, you are right, it's definately a tap tap sort of thing. I do swing pretty hard at first, once I've got the whole started it goes pretty fast. I think the first 1/4 of the whole takes as long as the last 3/4. I saw a hammer called "the ugly stick", it's a framers hammer, I could hit really hard with it. I guess I could miss and smash my hand too.

For the 6 or so anchors this area needs, I'm probably fine with what I've got.

caughtinside

Aug 3, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think you need a longer handle, so much as a heavier head on the hammer. That way, the mass of the hammer head is doing more of the work while you tap tap tapparoo. This shouldn't affect your bits.

A french hammer, what a nancy!

cfnubbler

Aug 3, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've recently been frequenting an area, there's scads of great crack climbs that all have clocked in at 5.12 or so. It's pretty cool finding an area that suits my style and is about the grade I want.

Gratuitous spray, completely irrelevant to the actual question, but inserted none the less...but I digress....

In answer to the question, a burlier hammer isn't neccessarily going to help all that much. As has already been said, it isn't about wailing away- tap-tap-tapping is what you want.

-Nubbler

slobmonster

Aug 3, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw a hammer called "the ugly stick", it's a framers hammer...
You know, the damage done by an ugly stick can be quickly cured by wearing some special goggles.

Partner angry

Aug 3, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A french hammer, what a nancy!

Would you like a croissant Pierre? Now where did I put my chisel. Has anybody seen my puf?

caughtinside

Aug 3, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I saw a hammer called "the ugly stick", it's a framers hammer...
You know, the damage done by an ugly stick can be quickly cured by wearing some special goggles.

:lol: :lol:

Well, I don't know if it can be cured, but definitely temporarily overcome!

So, should fshizzle get something with a longer shaft and bigger head? Or like his girlfriend told him, is the one he's got big enough?

asandh

Aug 3, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

billcoe_

Aug 3, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Love this thread so far.

Fshizzel, I'd try this hard wacking strategy on a test sh*t rock first.

I suspect that there is a max you can hit it and stress the rock before your hole gets out of tolerance, so that in fact wacking harder may weaken the anchor.

I do not know that for a fact. Go get yourself a masons hammer or shorty sledge and try it. BTW, framing hammers have a rather straight claw like feature which could actually negatively impact your orbital area in a bloody manner in a cramped hanging environment.

Let us know how F-ed up it gets will ya?

Partner angry

Aug 3, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just spent $25 on hardware, I'm not spending any more on a bigger hammer.

I need to go chopping.

slobmonster

Aug 3, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW, framing hammers have a rather straight claw like feature which could actually negatively impact your orbital area in a bloody manner in a cramped hanging environment.
True enough. However, the same flat claw works great for pulling out old bolts. On most coppping --err, removal & replacement-- missions I'll bring my framing hammer, tap the claw underneath any offensive old buttonhead, and it comes out without too much trouble.

Anyone have a source in the Bay area for Powers Power-bolts (aka Rawl 5-piece)?

markguycan

Aug 6, 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried an old Yos-type hammer, a regular household hammer, an ice hammer (long shaft but light weight), and a geologist's hammer (like a Yos hammer but heavier). I'd have to say I think the geologist hammer and the household hammer seemed to drive the bit the best, but i like the pick point on the geologist's hammer for cleaning loose rock better. 'Course on that note the pick of ice hammer was the best cleaning tool!

Partner angry

Sep 7, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little update on this.

I got beached on a rock 2 days ago. We set an anchor and (Valley Giants and Bro's, no place for a leave-behind nut) and rapped down. We came back up to place an anchor. I had my short little Petzl hammer and a friend had his framers hammer. We each had a Petzl Rockpecker. It seemed that I finished about 10 minutes faster. With the shorter hammer I got about 3 times as many hits per minute, even though they weren't as powerful.

So I guess I'll keep what I've got.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook