Premier Sponsor:

Partner iclimbtoo

Aug 5, 2005, 2:53 AM
Post #1 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Surfing
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, today was my first time ever surfing, my second time to the ocean. It was absolutely phenomenal. In fact I was so stoked, that I started thinking about climbing, and I am actually contemplating giving up climbing time to start hitting waves. The experience was so incredible that I can't see myself not getting into it. I have a few friends that actually dropped climbing altogether just to surf (they'll come with to belay every now and then, but usually they're hitting the surf). So, my question is how many of you climb and surf, and how do you decide to balance your time between the two.

edited for spelling

Partner philbox

Aug 5, 2005, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: Surfing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh, aussies have some of the best surf beaches in the world. smatter fact my missus and I have a unit down on the coast near some of the best surfing in Oz. Cos it`s right there I never bother going and hitting the waves I would rather preserve the tips on my fingers from getting all wrinkly and soft and go climbing.

Mind you though you can tempt me to go spear fishing anytime you like.

yak

Aug 5, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #3 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen a great white chasing me up a cliff,
I'll stick to climbing.

e_free

Aug 5, 2005, 9:04 AM
Post #4 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll stick to climbing.

ive also never seen a rock fall out of the air and almost kill me in the middle of the ocean on a surfboard ;)

i climb and surf. i live in hawaii, so its easier to surf than climb as the ocean is 4 blocks a way, while ithe nearest crag is on the other side of the island.

in central california, climbing was closer than surfing by several hours. not to mention i would need a wetsuit to surf in northern cali and i didnt have one. or know how to surf for that matter. but i grew up climbing.

theyre both VERY addicting!! i could live if i never surfed again and probably get over it. but something inside would feel very hollow and empty and unreplacable without climbing ever again.

but why should i have to choose? :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll:

yak

Aug 5, 2005, 9:55 AM
Post #5 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="e_free"]
In reply to:
I'll stick to climbing.

ive also never seen a rock fall out of the air and almost kill me in the middle of the ocean on a surfboard ;)

Yeh true, but beaches near me get so crowded in summer you have to watch surfboards flying out of the sky and hitting you on the head.

atg200

Aug 5, 2005, 1:08 PM
Post #6 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can't imagine why you would give up climbing to surf - just do both. anything gets boring if it is all you do.

i like surfing, but i do think it is the hardest thing i have ever done. i would love to do it more often so i would have a prayer of getting better, but the commute is a bitch.

Partner tradman

Aug 5, 2005, 1:15 PM
Post #7 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Meh, aussies have some of the best surf beaches in the world.

Yeah, but aren't they also overrun with legions of deadly sea creatures that can kill you stone dead just by thinking about you?

hangerlessbolt

Aug 5, 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #8 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always good to diversify…

This past weekend found me on the rocks on Saturday…and doing steep drop-ins (bodyboard) on Sunday…

Even in the PacNW I’m able to do what I was doing in SoCal…diggin’ it

During the winter … ya can swap the leash for the snowboard and head up Mt Hood for some turns…

Portland’s turning out to be a pretty cool place to live

atg200

Aug 5, 2005, 1:59 PM
Post #9 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rob, you can get some good turns now! i skiied mt adams three weeks ago, and had almost 4000' of good smooth corn.

pinktricam

Aug 5, 2005, 2:08 PM
Post #10 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to be a surfin' beach bum...until I injured my left shoulder. Now it subluxes when in certain positions...surfing places it in that precarious state :cry:

hangerlessbolt

Aug 5, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #11 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rob, you can get some good turns now! i skiied mt adams three weeks ago, and had almost 4000' of good smooth corn.

You were up here and you didn't call?!?

Why, I otta!!

caughtinside

Aug 5, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #12 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Surfing is about as consuming as rock climbing.

Unfortunately, I live about 2 hours from the beach now, which just doesn't work for surfing. You can still go, but I've surfed enough to the point where I'm snooty about what kind of waves I'll paddle into. They'd better be good. And that's too fickle to invest a 2 hour drive in.

Now climbing, you can be reasonably sure that the rock will be there when you get there! 8^)

However, the sports complement each other very well, there is no reason not to do both! Except that surfing is much harder. :P

snoangel

Aug 5, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #13 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No need to give up anything...definitely do both! For me, living two blocks from the beach in So Cal, I can have a morning session in the surf & head up to the mountains for an evening session on the rock. Ahh, the life! :D

(Plus, if you give up climbing what are you going to do when the surf is flat???)

vawwyakr

Aug 5, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #14 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ww kayak (which you can also use to surf and ussually have an easier time catching more waves than those guys standing on the boards) and climb, I just do both based on convience and inclination. I climb about 2-3 days a week and kayak about 2-3 days a week......I don't have many non-kayaking or non-climbing friends.....well at least not anymore.

far_east_climber

Aug 5, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #15 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb and surf and do both of them with equal intensity. The way I decide is that, if the swell is up, I go and surfing. My reasoning is that the rock will always be there, standing unchanged but it won't be the same with the waves... so I grasp the opportunity. I haven't really found it to be too hard balancing between the two. Best way was that I just stopped thinking about priortising the two activities and just let it be. You may also find yourself becoming quite content after a long week of good waves that you'll want a break from it to go climbing.

vivalargo

Aug 5, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #16 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently spent a week filming on board Quiksilver's Indes Trader, a 75 foot iron junker doing a circumnavigation of the globe in search of great surf. Really wish I'd gotten into that sport early on . . .

JL

coloredchalker

Aug 5, 2005, 6:05 PM
Post #17 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a unit.

hehe he said "unit"

Surfing is a blast, whish I could do it more often, but I'd rather committ what little free time I have to climbing, mostly because it is more convenient than surfing.

But the joy of both sports, compared to say snowboarding, is that once you buy the basic gear it doesn't cost tons of money every time you want to go, awesome!

12volt_man

Aug 5, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #18 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll stick to climbing.

Wuss. :roll:

Surfing takes priority for me mostly because of geography. There are a lot similarities in ethics. 8^)

pinktricam

Aug 7, 2005, 8:11 PM
Post #19 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...There are a lot similarities in ethics.
Except, thank goodness, for 'LOCALS RULE.'

Or maybe I just haven't climbed in as many locales as you have.

newbierockstar

Aug 7, 2005, 8:30 PM
Post #20 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, but aren't they also overrun with legions of deadly sea creatures that can kill you stone dead just by thinking about you?

Like this?!?!?

http://library.thinkquest.org/...74/media/2_1box2.jpg

http://www.aims.gov.au/...ages/seawasp-01.html

Partner iclimbtoo

Aug 7, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #21 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are a lot similarities in ethics. 8^)

And past time relaxation activities too? ;)

blondgecko

Aug 7, 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #22 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Like this?!?!?

Only if you go about 1500 km further north from Brisbane, and then only in summer (and then the surf's crap anyway because of the Great Barrier Reef). For surfers (not that I'm one), Brisbane is gsd's own country, sandwiched between the cold waters and seal breeding grounds of Victoria, and the stingers and saltwater crocs of far north Queensland.

Partner philbox

Aug 7, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #23 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wot the gecko says is true tradman and newbie.

The surf beaches on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast in the SE corner of Queensland are all shark netted and also have fixed drumlines.

That takes care of the big bities around here. The little bities tend to mind their own business unless you start poking them with a stick or generally upsetting them by stepping on them. There is the Blue Ringed Octopus, and Stone Fish. The Octopus lives in rock pools so no biggy there for surfers ecept if you are entering/exiting the water via the rocks. The Stone fish generally lives around reef flats/quieter water so no biggy there either for surfers.

there are numerous other small sea stingers but they generally don`t bother surfers much particularly if you wear a wetty. Generally though there is no need to wear a wetty unless you indulge in mid winter surfing during a westerly wind. Mostly the water is quite warm all year round. Gotta love that eh.

Partner cracklover

Aug 12, 2005, 6:39 PM
Post #24 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I climb and surf and do both of them with equal intensity. The way I decide is that, if the swell is up, I go and surfing. My reasoning is that the rock will always be there, standing unchanged but it won't be the same with the waves... so I grasp the opportunity. I haven't really found it to be too hard balancing between the two. Best way was that I just stopped thinking about priortising the two activities and just let it be. You may also find yourself becoming quite content after a long week of good waves that you'll want a break from it to go climbing.

That's very encouraging. I'm just wrapping up a week on the Jersey Shore, and am loving surfing.

GO

nd2boostt

Aug 12, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #25 of 25 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Like this?!?!?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster can swim too? Neat!!

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook