Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bluenose

Aug 7, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #26 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing isn't dangerous.....! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hmmm....My wife only wants to hear that we had fun climbing. As soon as I start talking about any safety steps or issues she tells me she really doesn't want to hear about them. She does that for any dangerous stuff that the kids and I do. She trusts my judgement, that's what it comes down to. You have to get them to trust your judgement. Then there is no argument or discussion necessary. You don't have to prove to them that it is safe, just prove to them that you are capable of making sound, safe and rational judgements.

Now, how you go about that really depends on your past history and how much freedom your parents or SOs are willing to allow once they do trust it.

Goodluck.

cadaverchris

Aug 7, 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #27 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i always remind people that getting in your car and driving to a climbing spot is way more dangerous than the actual climbing.

a_crow

Aug 7, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #28 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

every thing you do in life is dangerous....everything even typing ona keybaord....you might get carpal tunnel or soemthing...climbing is the same as everything else we do. thats my take on it.

curt

Aug 7, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #29 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing isn't dangerous. Falling, on the other hand, can result in all sorts of unpleasant outcomes. :D

Curt

bluenose

Aug 7, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #30 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing isn't dangerous. Falling, on the other hand, can result in all sorts of unpleasant outcomes. :D

Curt

Good point. Tell them you are climbing...not falling.

joentia

Aug 7, 2005, 3:45 AM
Post #31 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it was easy everyone would do it. i dont think its anymore dangerous than other sports. you got a better chace getting killed in a car wreck. Its the danger and excitement that keep us doing it.

sick_climba

Aug 7, 2005, 5:19 AM
Post #32 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The question isn't really if climbing is dangerous or not, but rather how can we convince his/her parents that it is not.

I would take your parents to a local gym (if you have one). Not that a gym represents climbing outdoors, but maybe if you had them climb on a few easy walls, they would feel better about you and the sport.

Convince them it's not dangerous. Why? It is dangerous. Although I have to disagree w/ sick climber. There is a plethora of sports where an injury is much more likely to occur on a regular basis (mnt biking, kayaking, skiing, etc). Granted if you screw up climbing the injuries can be very severe. Thus, climbing is dangerous. Convince them you are aware of the risks and are capable of minimizing those risks. Then (as respectfully as you can) expain to them this is something you love and they will have to accept that. As for getting them in the gym, HA! I don't know about your folks, but it'll be a cold day in hell when my mom gets on a wall!
I get your point Bro about the "plethora" of sports where accidents occur more offten, but I was implying that most of the time the injuries in climbing are far worse than in other sports and also I was mainly talking about main stream sports aka... Football, baseball, Basketball, soccer, track, .... ect (typical high school sports since it sounds like the op is in high school ie his/ her parents are buggin them about their sport of choice)...
Climb on
Chris

chanf

Aug 7, 2005, 5:35 AM
Post #33 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is there an article explaining the statistics of dying climbing and dying in a car wreck? someone please send me a link on that!

lewisiarediviva

Aug 7, 2005, 5:44 AM
Post #34 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...?Cat=0&Number=477886

An interesting bit of statistics: note that climbing is safer than taking contraceptive pills, and taking contraceptive pills is more dangerous than being pregnant.

march

Aug 7, 2005, 7:54 AM
Post #35 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started climbing my mom and grandma seemed a little worried. This was about the time my birthday was coming up so I asked for them to get me a climbing helmet as a gift. It seemed to ease their fears some and they felt like they were contributing to my safety.

Maybe you can ask them to help you buy some 'safety equipment' - it might make them feel better and might be a good way to get some new gear. "Mom, you know this new rope they just came out with is a lot safer than my old one - I just wish I could afford it right now..." :wink:

flipnfall

Aug 7, 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #36 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I worked as an EMT for 5 years and I think I saw more motorcycle accidents per capita of bikers killed than I've ever hear of climbers being killed. Now if you're taking a bike to go climb, then I think you're really taking risks! :wink:

JUST KIDDING

GT

shnobe

Aug 7, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #37 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good strong argument would be... climbing is safer than heroin, but then again a heroin addiction maybe cheaper. :wink:

in case we have any addicts sorry if I offended...

feanor007

Aug 7, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #38 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had built up a long history of making safe choices.

bingo, that was a big one for my parents, they knew me and had seen the care i demonstrated in other activites.

also, i never tried to convince them climbing was not dangerous. my mom's a nurse and seen untold amounts of head/neck/spine injuries, there is no way i could convince her that dangling from a 10mm cord hundreds of feet above the earth was entirly with out risks. telling your parents climbing isn't dangerous is a lie, they are parents, they'll see through it, or worse they will think your to stupid to understand the risks. instead i've been very open with my parents about the risks of climbing. usually, the night before a climb i'm sitting at the kitchen table going over beta and checking gear. this gives me an oppertunity to explain gear and climbing styles to my mom (she's usually working in the kitchen), to letter her see the care i put into climbing.

Also, taking a little brother helps. My mom will justify all sorts of stuff under the lable of 'quality brother time'

finally i tell her it's her fault javascript:emoticon(':P'),
she never let play video games, forced me to play out side, encouraged me to explore the creeks and hills around our house and first took me to the Red River Gorge :P :P

feanor007

Aug 7, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #39 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post

kinosoo

Aug 7, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #40 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ha funny^ any how tell them the drive out is the most dangerous part. tell them your top roping everything and don’t buy them accidents in north American mountaineering. the statistics will speak for them self thug with that if they can publish a years work of accidents in one book compared that to some other sports. I would say something like skiing is much more dangerous I would say after working as ski patrol at a small hill we would have on average one or two broken bones a day. compare that to le local crag where I cant think of anyone braking anything in the past few years. And people think skiing is safe

pecall

Aug 8, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #41 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell your folks that, yes, climbing is dangerous, but that because the dangers are so blatantly obvious it is ususally possible to judge what risks you decide to take. At least compared to many other activities, for example car driving, where danger is present but not percieved, or for example using certain medications, exposing yourself to the irradiation of a cell phone, and a plethora of other activities where you have to be an expert to even begin to assess the possible dangers involved.
Not so with climbing, any idiot can tell where the dangers are (which is of course only true to a certain extent, but you don't have to tell them that).
Good luck!
And next time they pester you about spending all you money on gear, remind them that it's safety equipment.

northerndrawl

Aug 8, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #42 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of times now Project Adventure (big US adventure education organization) has done an incident survey of sites doing among other activities high ropes, climbing walls, and low ropes. (Before any tries to berate me otherwise, I know high ropes are not the same as climbing--bear with me).

The end result of their surveys was that adventure based activities had an accident rate well below that of any other sport. In fact it had about the same accident rate per 100,000 hours as being a real estate agent.

(I told this story to my real estate agent, who didn't believe me, said what you're doing could kill you when all I do is look at houses, and seconds after saying it, slipped down a very set of steep hard wooden steps in the attic of a rather ancient house. As he looked up at me from the bottom of the steps (thankfully unhurt) I said "See I would have been wearing a rope doing that...")

Now that stat is directly transferable-this is institutional activities--different procedures/training/resources and also different anchor/belaying systems. But much of it is the same, and certainly the consequence of a mistake is the same.

Truly though, those posts above advising modelling good choices, educating about technique and gear, and above all remaining patient with those who do not understand is better than any statistic you could through out. Statistics are rational, fear is not. Competence and trust do more to reassure then numbers.

feanor007

Aug 8, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #43 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
remind them that it's safety equipment.

heck yah, didn't want to cough up $70ish dollars for a GriGri so i convinced my mom i would die with out it, and guess what, she bought it for me a few weeks later :lol:

rockmx

Aug 8, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #44 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My mom was arrested 12 year ago for DUI when she almost kills a CHP officer and a towing truck driver.
For some reason she never complains about my sport!!!! :roll:
(She doesn’t drink anymore :D )

villageidiot

Aug 8, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #45 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just came back from my first weekend of leading trad without a more experianced leader. Gave my mom a call and found out one of my schoolmates was dead and another was in serious condition. Those trips to the grocery store can be a real b1tch.

onbelay510

Aug 8, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #46 of 46 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just remind my mom that people don't often get injured while climbing...they usually just die.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook