Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

leezerdgirl

Sep 10, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #1 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

climber personals?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whoops, didn't search hard enough before posting. Doh!

dirtineye

Sep 10, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #2 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Re: climber personals? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHA, yeah, there are a few bluenose biddies who can't stand the idea of anyone finding true love AND climbing all at once, over the internet.

I think it is a good idea, except for the fact that online dating for climbers would probably be like any other online dating: everybody lies their ass off, and mis-represents themselves.

BTW, I have met several nice women on this site but they almost always live too far away.

leezerdgirl

Sep 10, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has rc.com ever tried having a personals forum, or is it just assumed it would be overrun by trolls? I've met good people through "normal" online dating, but I'd like to zero in on a climber, and I'd rather not have to play flirty guessing games with beer and neck rubs at the crag.

Leezerdgirl Direct, 5.9 with a 5.11A variation, that's me. :)

areuinclimber

Sep 10, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #4 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wanna go up el cap? :lol:

veganboyjosh

Sep 10, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #5 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(insert joke regarding large nuts iso nice racks here)

Partner j_ung

Sep 11, 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #6 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sympathize with your predicament, but I'm still not convinced it's a good idea. I don't think I'm a blue-nosed biddy :wink:, so much as I just don't think we can handle it. I doubt it's as simple as just opening up a forum for single (hopefully) people to post up. Dating sites have their own set of problems/issues above and beyond what we're used to dealing with here. We've learned a lot about running a climbing site and still have much to learn. And unfortunately, we just don't have the time, energy and personnel to tackle a whole new set.

I'm really sorry... seriously... but for now, no.

However, I will do this: next week I'll try to contact one or two of the the more popular dating sites and get a feel for some of the issues they confront. I suspect they'll say something else, but if they tell me, "Oh, Hell, it's easy!" we'll be one step closer to getting it done.

dirtineye

Sep 11, 2005, 2:56 AM
Post #7 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I sympathize with your predicament, but I'm still not convinced it's a good idea. I don't think I'm a blue-nosed biddy :wink:, so much as I just don't think we can handle it. I doubt it's as simple as just opening up a forum for single (hopefully) people to post up. Dating sites have their own set of problems/issues above and beyond what we're used to dealing with here. We've learned a lot about running a climbing site and still have much to learn. And unfortunately, we just don't have the time, energy and personnel to tackle a whole new set.

I'm really sorry... seriously... but for now, no.

However, I will do this: next week I'll try to contact one or two of the the more popular dating sites and get a feel for some of the issues they confront. I suspect they'll say something else, but if they tell me, "Oh, Hell, it's easy!" we'll be one step closer to getting it done.

Your nose isn't blue-- it's BROWN!!!!!

Whatcha doin tomorrow night sweetie?

leezerdgirl

Sep 11, 2005, 4:43 AM
Post #8 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wondered if there was some good reason not to have a personals forum, since they say the idea comes up cyclically here. Thanks j_ung for being so thoughtful about the possibility, even if I can't have my pony (at least not yet).

Partner camhead

Sep 11, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #9 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhhhh, I just thought I'd take this opportunity to use this forum for as a personals section...

wanted: a ripped female climber who can set up topropes for me all day. Ability to climb 5.12 sport is good; small hands that fit green camalot sized desert splitters is better. do not contact me without an up-to-date climbing resumé.

thanks.

curt

Sep 11, 2005, 6:38 AM
Post #10 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has rc.com ever tried having a personals forum, or is it just assumed it would be overrun by trolls? I've met good people through "normal" online dating, but I'd like to zero in on a climber, and I'd rather not have to play flirty guessing games with beer and neck rubs at the crag....

Its been tried, off and on. The usual proceedure involves you posting a few naked pictures of yourself and then waiting to see if there is any interest amongst the community here. :lol:

Curt

stzzo

Sep 11, 2005, 7:12 AM
Post #11 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually had that thought for a while. Even got a domain name: outdoorfriendfinder.com. Haven't had time to implement it... Maybe I'll get motivated after my road trip.

htotsu

Sep 11, 2005, 7:19 AM
Post #12 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung, maybe a happy medium would be for you to encourage RC.com members to all post to the same matchmaking site. That way you guys don't have to deal with the traffic, and anyone interested can still take advantage of the option of online dating within a community of fellow climbers.

Let's say everyone goes with e-harmony.com, for example. Maybe everyone is asked to have a certain key word/term in their profile titles/subject headers so RC people would be easily searchable. I'd suggest "RC.com" but in case you don't want to officially endorse a site, something else could be used as long as it's a word or term not likely to be used by the general public.
---
I was about to send that but, because I am a great big nerd, I thought I'd test this for viability before submitting this post. E-harmony needs you to register before you can do anything, so I couldn't try there. But Match.com allows you do searches and view pictures and usernames, though not actual profiles, without being a member. Because of this, match.com is where I did my (quite limited) research.

They have a "keyword search". I didn't bother with "climb", and "belay" is just too easy to joke about, so perhaps that wouldn't be the best choice. But I tried "cams" and was surprised to see that a bunch of people showed up (perhaps the letters just happen to appear in that order in other words in those profiles). So then I tried "carabiner". This time only one person showed up. But that's kind of a long word for everyone to include, so I thought I'd try something else. Then I thought of "grigri". Eureka! No one.

Thoughts?

gblauer

Sep 11, 2005, 1:12 PM
Post #13 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whoops, didn't search hard enough before posting. Doh!

Just want you to know that I met the love of my life through Rockclimbing.com.

I posted as a newbie 3 years ago and found myself a climbing mentor and life partner. We are inseparable and we couldn't be happier. You don't need a singles forum, just post for partners, climb with them and see what happens!

Good luck.

leezerdgirl

Sep 11, 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #14 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You don't need a singles forum, just post for partners, climb with them and see what happens!

Good luck.

Thanks! Yes, I guess that's what I'm doing. The frustrating thing is that I already have a fairly full dance card of good climbing partners, and I don't want to leave them high and dry to go climb with lots of strangers who might or might not be interested, available, or interesting. I also read all the posts here about whether a climbing date is a "date" and how you do the mating dance at the crags. It seems like it would be so much more honest and efficient if you could just declare your intentions and screen for dating interest up front.

I suppose I could just put up a regular partner ad that is clear that I'm in the market. D'ya think I'd get flamed? Maybe it would be worth it, but I don't really want to cause trouble. Mods, opinion?

Re: dating sites, that seems like a good idea for people to use words like "rc.com" or something else climber-specific in a profile. I wouldn't recommend e-harmony though. They're heterosexual only. Though I happen to be straight, I still boycott them for being closed-minded relics.

Partner macherry

Sep 11, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #15 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You don't need a singles forum, just post for partners, climb with them and see what happens!

Good luck.

Thanks! Yes, I guess that's what I'm doing. The frustrating thing is that I already have a fairly full dance card of good climbing partners, and I don't want to leave them high and dry to go climb with lots of strangers who might or might not be interested, available, or interesting. I also read all the posts here about whether a climbing date is a "date" and how you do the mating dance at the crags. It seems like it would be so much more honest and efficient if you could just declare your intentions and screen for dating interest up front.

I suppose I could just put up a regular partner ad that is clear that I'm in the market. D'ya think I'd get flamed? Maybe it would be worth it, but I don't really want to cause trouble. Mods, opinion?

Re: dating sites, that seems like a good idea for people to use words like "rc.com" or something else climber-specific in a profile. I wouldn't recommend e-harmony though. They're heterosexual only. Though I happen to be straight, I still boycott them for being closed-minded relics.

word of caution, you will be flamed if you put out a regular partner ad that says you're "in the market." It's been done many times before and the thread ends up in community..........you will get angry, humorous, sarcastic responses. BEWARE.

No, this isn't a dating site, but it's amazing how many users found love on rc.com

dirtineye

Sep 11, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #16 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also read all the posts here about whether a climbing date is a "date" and how you do the mating dance at the crags. It seems like it would be so much more honest and efficient if you could just declare your intentions and screen for dating interest up front.

You'd get flamed if you were a guy, as a girl you'll just get a lot of people drooling over you and asking for pictures. Some bluenose may tell you it's inappropriate to look for a date here.

But a girl who want's to be straight forward? And loves to climb? I can't believe you are having trouble finding a date. Do you have three heads or are you a psycho-b!tch-from-H3LL? (We have a few of those who are always complaining about never getting a date and nobody understanding them)

You sound perfect! Too bad you live far far away and are a bit young.

Why can't you date some of the people you already climb with? You're already friends with them, and you'll have to wind up friends with anyone you have a hope of having a decent relationship with.

Good luck.

leezerdgirl

Sep 11, 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #17 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'd get flamed if you were a guy, as a girl you'll just get a lot of people drooling over you and asking for pictures. Some bluenose may tell you it's inappropriate to look for a date here.

But a girl who want's to be straight forward? And loves to climb? I can't believe you are having trouble finding a date. Do you have three heads or are you a psycho-b!tch-from-H3LL? (We have a few of those who are always complaining about never getting a date and nobody understanding them)

You sound perfect! Too bad you live far far away and are a bit young.

Why can't you date some of the people you already climb with? You're already friends with them, and you'll have to wind up friends with anyone you have a hope of having a decent relationship with.

Good luck.
Aw, you made me blush. :oops:

Thanks for the good luck wishes! No, I don't have three heads, and I was only psycho briefly when the last presidential election results came in, at which point I felt like stabbing out my own eyes with a nut tool. Not to be immodest but I don't have a problem getting dates...the problem is getting the right dates! This is the first time I've made a point to go looking for a climber to love, mostly because I've figured out that I want to spend a whole lot of my vacation time at J Tree, Red Rocks, Bishop, etc and I want my life partner there with me, sharing a tent and a helluva lot of redpoints.

Definitely agreed you have to be friends to have a good relationship! And I do love my climbing friends, but I haven't found a good match yet in terms of dating. Also, several of them are happily married and I'm just not the home-wrecker type. So I'm trying to broaden the net.

Anyway. This isn't supposed to be about me. I meant for this to be about whether rc.com can support a dating function, and it seems like there are good reasons for a "no" at this point. But I'm encouraged that j_ung is going to check into it.

Re: macherry's post...it does seem like it's a pretty rough crowd here, but I'm puzzled. Humorous and sarcastic flames I can understand, but angry? Why would anybody be angry?

Partner j_ung

Sep 11, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #18 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your nose isn't blue-- it's BROWN!!!!!

Whatcha doin tomorrow night sweetie?

Filing a restraining order. :wink:

Partner macherry

Sep 11, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #19 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Re: macherry's post...it does seem like it's a pretty rough crowd here, but I'm puzzled. Humorous and sarcastic flames I can understand, but angry? Why would anybody be angry?

Check out community for a sample of user replies. i have seen threads go south. Even the most well meaning posts can be taken the wrong way. As for anger, it's usually the OP who gets flamed that gets their knickers in a knot.

As for dating or personal dating threads, I'd rather keep them out of rc.com. I don't believe RC.com's directive or mission is to provide a dating service.

But, if you happen to find true love here, well that's a bonus!!!!

craftedpacket

Sep 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #20 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am willing to move to Cali =)

climbingbetty22

Sep 12, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #21 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Leezerdgirl- don't even bother with the pictures sweetie. Ask clausti about what happens when you post pictures on the forums. Its a matter of perspective though. Let's just say there are embarassing and compromising photos of myself in several threads, which have been edited only so much as to make them permissable to post, but otherwise bare all. I've got plenty of comments about them, but definitely not any dates. I will say however that I have dated at least three (four depending on what you call 'dating') guys that I met either directly or indirectly from this site. Not from posting any sort of personal ad, but just from making plans to go climbing and whatnot.

In reply to:

Yes Curt, girls like us who are straight forward and like to climb have trouble finding a date. Its one of the greatest mysteries of our time. But don't forget, "psycho-bitch" is a relative term. I'm pretty sure it was over in community a week or two ago that I saw a post that had picture of a gorgeous, sexy blonde model that had the caption at the bottom, "somewhere, some guy thinks she's a psycho bitch" or something to that effect. My point is that there are other reasons why we don't get dates other then the automatically-assumed psycho-bitch status and that plenty of women can have an incident of dumb-male induced psychosis without being afflicted with chronic psycho-bitch syndrome.

sirdrinksalot

Sep 12, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #22 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Single male climber here. Also the father of a young boy. I think that OK Cupid would be a good site to find climbers. It is free to all, and the tests are hilarious. here's a link to my profile on le-mank.comhttp://le-mank.com/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=76

and to my okcupid thingy:
http://www.okcupid.com/profile?tuid=804564491033186932

thisflash

Sep 12, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #23 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's hot.

charley

Sep 12, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #24 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Check out community for a sample of user replies. i have seen threads go south. Even the most well meaning posts can be taken the wrong way. As for anger, it's usually the OP who gets flamed that gets their knickers in a knot.

As for dating or personal dating threads, I'd rather keep them out of rc.com. I don't believe RC.com's directive or mission is to provide a dating service.

But, if you happen to find true love here, well that's a bonus!!!!

Ya never know what a little stalkin might bring about,eh. :lol:

leezerdgirl

Sep 12, 2005, 1:07 AM
Post #25 of 46 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with climbingbetty22. Did Sex in the City teach us nothing??

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's hot.

Gee, and I didn't even mention which one is the hand jam and which is the lieback. :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook