Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Sep 19, 2005, 8:44 PM
Post #1 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

planning to file a wrongful climbing death lawsuit
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I posted the original story some time ago here and this is the follow up.

Mj

Suit likely in fall death

MANSFIELD -- The family of a women who died after falling from an inflatable rock-climbing wall reportedly are planning to file a wrongful death lawsuit today against the Tweeter Center and other businesses, according to published reports.

The parents of Stacy Sarrette, 24, of Saugus, plan to file the lawsuit today in Suffolk Superior Court, blaming negligence of several businesses for the death of their daughter, The Boston Herald reported on Sunday.
In May, Sarrette died after falling from a 28-foot inflatable climbing wall and striking the pyramid-shaped wall's platform and the ground during the WKLB Country Music Festival at the Tweeter Center, a 19,900-seat concert venue. She suffered head and neck injuries and was died three days later, on her birthday.

For complete story, see Monday's Sun Chronicle

overlord

Sep 20, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Re: planning to file a wrongful climbing death lawsuit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats the case when a woman tried to fix something and wasnt tied in??

if thats it, then it was her own fault.

but if it was another case with the cable breaking, sue away. thats at least negligence.

Partner ctardi

Sep 20, 2005, 5:13 AM
Post #3 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thats the case when a woman tried to fix something and wasnt tied in??

if thats it, then it was her own fault.

but if it was another case with the cable breaking, sue away. thats at least negligence.

This was the one with the belayer standing way back, she fell, and bounced near the bottom, landing on concrete, i do beleive.

climbingbums

Sep 20, 2005, 5:21 AM
Post #4 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i want to say something about how frivilous law suits are ruining our legal system, but my most sincere sympathies and condolences go out to this poor girls families, and if money or a lawsuit help the family, i wish them the best of luck. nobody should ever die on a climbing wall, people should always check people out, because they probably dont know what theyre doing.

bobby

wonderwoman

Sep 20, 2005, 6:25 PM
Post #5 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the thread of the original story:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1108236#1108236

There was a teenage boy belaying her. When she got to the top she asked how to get down and he said 'lean back, I have you'. She did and she fell to her death.

Her sister, Shanna saw my original post and PMed me awhile back. This is no fault of the climber and my sympathy goes out to the family. What a horrible thing to happen! :cry:

By the way, the recent trend of 'blame the injured party' in this forum is getting a little out of hand. Please show more empathy and respect. People's family members DO sometimes look in on this page.

yetanotherdave

Sep 20, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #6 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Her sister, Shanna saw my original post and PMed me awhile back. This is no fault of the climber and my sympathy goes out to the family. What a horrible thing to happen! :cry:

By the way, the recent trend of 'blame the injured party' in this forum is getting a little out of hand. Please show more empathy and respect. People's family members DO sometimes look in on this page.

I think this is the only lawsuit I've seen mentioned on this site lately (ever?) that isn't stupid and frivolous. An employee of the company clearly fucked up in a way obviously leading to a ground fall. Sue the stupid bastards out of business.

oldrnotboldr

Sep 20, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #7 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a truly sad and tragic event and many condolences to all involved. There is no excuse for such an accident to occur and I think the company is at fault for improperly training and preparation.
During our treks this summer, we came upon two different climbing walls.

The first was a very nicely designed wall, had solid and in good condition equipment (auto belay). When I asked the on sight operator if he was climber I got a very incredulous look and a "are you kidding?" reply. The person had never climbed, not even a climbing wall and knew more about the liability papers than safe procedures. He did not even clear a pile of rope away from the base. My daughter was up about 35 feet, stopped and yelled down that there was a loose hold. The operators reply was something like "well, I'm not going up there, the maintenance guys can fix it."

The second climbing wall we found was a much different situation. The operator demonstrated solid knowledge, double checked everything when a person tied in, kept the base clear, etc. He also was able to describe specifc climbing areas and routes that I knew. My daughter only complained that it was too easy.

I was able to obtain a lot of information just from observing and nonchalantly engaging the person in conversation. While this is a minute sample, at least one of these could easily have caused some safety issues and/or injuries. I certainly would not want to hit by a climbing hold dropped from 35 feet (no blocked off area to keep bystanders clear).

lilfoxiq

Sep 27, 2005, 5:25 AM
Post #8 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just because I haven't seen anyone mention it...

could you imagine being the belayer. You are some 16 year old having a summer job, you probably didn't really get all that trained. You think you are doing something right and then you cause someone's death (unless there was some sort of mechanical failure) I mean this poor kid.

The kid probably isn't a climber, the hiring manager probably doesn't care what sort of experience his employees have, and he hires some kid to be put in charge of peoples' lives.

The trauma that kid must be going through... it is just really sad

sonus

Sep 27, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #9 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

could you imagine being the belayer. You are some 16 year old having a summer job, you probably didn't really get all that trained. You think you are doing something right and then you cause someone's death (unless there was some sort of mechanical failure) I mean this poor kid.

The kid probably isn't a climber, the hiring manager probably doesn't care what sort of experience his employees have, and he hires some kid to be put in charge of peoples' lives.

I totally agree. I just hope that this suit isn't against the belayer, who, as you say, probably didn't know any better and really isn't at fault.

tradalltheway

Sep 27, 2005, 7:50 AM
Post #10 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What the fuck is the OP looking for? Approval, or publicity? I'll state my opinion, and it's that anyone that posts this shit isn't at all concerned with the injured party or their family; it is one that wants others to know that some shit happened. Get a life, go to mass, light a fucking candle, and don't put into an internet forum that which you don't want criticized....and don't defend them. People die, this is reality.

ter_bee

Sep 27, 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #11 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What the f--- is the OP looking for? Approval, or publicity? I'll state my opinion, and it's that anyone that posts this s--- isn't at all concerned with the injured party or their family; it is one that wants others to know that some s--- happened. Get a life, go to mass, light a f---ing candle, and don't put into an internet forum that which you don't want criticized....and don't defend them. People die, this is reality.

What a hilariously insensitive and IRONIC post. I can think of many ways in which it helps the climbing community to know about climbing accidents: many of us learn from others' mistakes, and we are the group who might otherwise be the most likely to put our kids on climbing walls, or even run them. So while I'm not going to try to guess the motives of the original poster, I am grateful to him or her. ON the other hand, I wonder what YOU, tradalltheway, were hoping to gain from posting here. Friends? None so far. Fame? eeeh. To have us all in awe of your scathing analysis? Not.

Have a nice day, and try not to beat any children or innocent animals.

wjca

Sep 27, 2005, 1:50 PM
Post #12 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What the f--- is the OP looking for? Approval, or publicity? I'll state my opinion, and it's that anyone that posts this s--- isn't at all concerned with the injured party or their family; it is one that wants others to know that some s--- happened. Get a life, go to mass, light a f---ing candle, and don't put into an internet forum that which you don't want criticized....and don't defend them. People die, this is reality.

How enlightening. Lets me pose a hypothetical to you. Let say your mother was shopping at one of those large home improvement stores for a new ceiling fan. On the isle next to her, out of her line of vision, was a kid running a fork lift trying to remove an item from the top shelf for another customer. Unknown to his employer (because no one ever bothered to ask) the kid has a history of reckless driving. The kid has watched other people run the forklift numerous times, and has even done it himself a time or two. So the kid has the fork lift extended all the way, then gets a little nervous and hits the gas rather than the brake, then slams on the brake to compensate, actually overcompensates. The fork lifts teeters back and forth until it falls over, directly towards your mother. Ceiling fans, light fixtures and forklift all come crashing down on her killing her instantly (luckily she died rather painlessly, we hope). Through no fault of her own, but due to the negligence of an untrained employee, and and the negligence of the employer for failure to properly train, hire and supervise its employee, your mom is dead.

You're mad, upset and want to share the sheer and utter negligence of this home improvement store with others so they can be careful and hopefully such an awful thing will never happen again. You happen to frequent an internet forum where posting such a story in such a manner will reach hundreds, if not thousands of people. How are you gonna feel if someone then says to you after you've posted this horrible story of your mother's untimely death:

"Get a life, go to mass, light a fucking candle, and don't put into an internet forum that which you don't want criticized....and don't defend them. People die, this is reality"

You, sir, are an

http://jesda.spilky.com/asshat.jpg

Partner cindylou

Sep 27, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #13 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Case in point regarding family members:http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74002&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=30

If your family reads about you on rc.com after you die, they will see you were regarded as an insensitive asswipe by some of us. How sad for them.

erin

Sep 27, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #14 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What in the world is an inflatable climbing wall?

corpse

Sep 27, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #15 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What in the world is an inflatable climbing wall?

It's a climbing wall, that is inflatable :lol: Like a blow up doll, only you can climb higher, and not worry about cleaning out hte pockets.

wjca

Sep 27, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #16 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deleted

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 27, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #17 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The suit will almost certainly involve the company, though I can't speculate if or how the belayer will be involved under state law. It is incredibly sad what happened to the woman involved and her family. It is sad what the kid must be going through. However, I think the problem here started higher up. If you read the original thread, it was found out that the guy in charge of the company didn't have the appropriate permits for what he was doing. In fact, he had actively opposed stricter safety regulations on operations in fair-type atmospheres. Also, for the record, I believe I remember reading that there was a "cushy, bouncy" cube surrounding the wall, which was shaped like a pyramid. The woman fell, bounced, and then hit her head on the surrounding concrete. Design flaw, illegal operating, and pure reckless disregard for safety is what created this tragic scenario. Once that kind of accident is set up and waiting to happen, a 16 year old kid holding the rope isn't likely to stop or prevent it.

jimdavis

Oct 1, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #18 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Wish i could rate posts today. well put.

Something happened, I don't see any specifics as to how. If gear failed, if the belay lost control, ect.

Sueing people for millions is selfish. Something aweful happened, so try and make something possitive out of it. Sue for money to donate to the devolepment and certification of climbing gyms, so this doesn't happen again. These is why I think standards are a good thing when it comes to Gyms and shit. I've seen way to many people rushed through a crash course in belaying at gyms, that drop people, or come close.

This is a responsibility that those directly managing a climbing wall need to be on top of.

I hope they move push for a national standard to be implemented for this kind of thing, it'd just piss me off if they sued and bought a new beach house with the money.

Climb safe,
Jim

renohandjams

Oct 5, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #19 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I agree, you can't control the forums opinions. Think about it, and if the family is looking in damn the person that posted it in the first place.

oldrnotboldr

Oct 5, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #20 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point Reno.
Just as "belas friend" remarked in the post Rock Climber Falls From Half Dome In Yosemite

Many people, not just members, read these message boards.

Partner j_ung

Oct 5, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #21 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the sticky at the top of this forum, folks. While we like less moderation, certain forums will always be heavily moderated. Injuries & Accidents is one of them.

The offending post has been copied enough times that I can't just delete it, though I certainly would like to. Tradalltheway -- and anybody else watching -- put this thread back on track or let it fade away. I'll yank it if it keeps going as is.

wjca

Oct 5, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #22 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Check the sticky at the top of this forum, folks. While we like less moderation, certain forums will always be heavily moderated. Injuries & Accidents is one of them.

The offending post has been copied enough times that I can't just delete it, though I certainly would like to. Tradalltheway -- and anybody else watching -- put this thread back on track or let it fade away. I'll yank it if it keeps going as is.

You don't really expect that guy to post back up do you?

reno

Oct 5, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #23 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You don't really expect that guy to post back up do you?

Don't care. The rest of the users active in this thread can direct the thread back in the right direction.

I've been trying mightily hard to stay out of the discussion, but I echo J_ung's comment: If things don't become more civil in this forum, I'll start yanking threads. Don't want to do it, but we're not going to let I&A devolve ino another Community-level forum.

rufusandcompany

Oct 5, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #24 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

What a hilariously insensitive and IRONIC post. I can think of many ways in which it helps the climbing community to know about climbing accidents: many of us learn from others' mistakes, and we are the group who might otherwise be the most likely to put our kids on climbing walls, or even run them. So while I'm not going to try to guess the motives of the original poster, I am grateful to him or her. ON the other hand, I wonder what YOU, tradalltheway, were hoping to gain from posting here. Friends? None so far. Fame? eeeh. To have us all in awe of your scathing analysis? Not.

Have a nice day, and try not to beat any children or innocent animals.

Well said.

shazinky

Oct 5, 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #25 of 29 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you must inflate, it is not a rock you are climbing so i do not see the relevance

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook