Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

stickclipper

Oct 7, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #76 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpinist Magazine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
stickclipper: I don't run SS any longer (haven't for the last two issues). I turned it over to some women who are turning it into a non-profit. That's awesome you bought a subscription for your sister. All I ever wanted was to have more articles about women to read (much like the history buff wants more info about climbing history in the Alpinist and the boulderer wants short clips about elite climbers in R&I). But thanks for supporting the mag. I hope it survives. I love reading it. :)

Oops. Somehow I thought you were no longer involved...

(I must sheepishly admit that I'm not a regular reader. I guess you could say that I don't have a lot of personal interest in... well, Tiffany Campbell's pregnancy ;)

Ah well.

Oh, and as for the "more time climbing" jargon - wish I could... but I'm sitting at home with two broken legs (7 months ago, 12 surgeries, good times). And I foresee the frightening prospect of a cubicle in my future: medical bills, galore.

Partner nashequilibrium

Oct 7, 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #77 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mheyman wrote
In reply to:
I pick up Climbing or R&I and hope to find something worthwhile to read.
I pick up Alpinist and am disapointed if I do not read a great letter or article.

This passes my cost-benefit analysis test. The marginal benefits of R&I are lower but the marginal costs are lower; as long as marginal benefits>marginal costs, I subscribe to the mag.

montaniero

Oct 8, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #78 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Places you want to go" is a matter of taste. I don't want to go to Patagonia or the French Alps.

GREAT!! Less people to deal with while we are climbing over there.

In reply to:
"Alpinist" is for alpinists, and all cute jokes aside, they're not superior beings pursuing a superior type of climbing.

What are you talking??? Of course we are!!!!

alpine_monk

Oct 9, 2005, 6:45 PM
Post #79 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Alpinist" is for alpinists, and all cute jokes aside, they're not superior beings pursuing a superior type of climbing.

In reply to:
What are you talking??? Of course we are!!!!
Indeed. Montaniero, I wonder if climbsomething thought bouldering was as pure? besides we get to wear all the cool clothes.

paulraphael

Oct 11, 2005, 6:18 AM
Post #80 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little historical perspective ...

Climbing and R&I used to be much better than they are now. I'm not just being nostalgic; they followed a course that's common in the magazine world. Start small, run by a small group of passionate enthusiasts, grow, get exhausted, and then sell to a big publishing company that cares more about selling ads than putting out a great product.

I have R&I number 7. It's like an art magazine for climbers. Not as lavish and beautiful as Alpinist, but the spirit is the same. I'm not sure when they got commercial.

I don't know climbing's history, but can say without a doubt that it was a more inspiring mag before Michael Kennedy left. Who can blame him for leaving? He's a climber. Editing is tedious, hard, low-paying work.

The moral of the story is, it's up to us to stop Alpinist from going down the same route. We can help them thrive in their current format ... if we don't, they're going to give up sooner or later. I'm sure Christian would much rather be climbing the high peaks than toiling in an office to produce a beautiful mag that no one subscribes to.

reno

Oct 11, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #81 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing and R&I used to be much better than they are now.

Damn right. I got a copy of "30 Years of Climbing Magazine" last year in Ouray, and it was a great read... stories that were, for the most part, well written, and they captivated me. I wonder why I don't see those now?

In reply to:
I find it funny that this post about Alpinist is so "this is the best ever" while the Urban Climber thread featured a lot of obviously trad climbers bashing that mag for its exclusive focus on pebble wrestling.

The error in your argument is that you assume "trad climbers" and "alpinists" are the same. While there are aspects of "trad" climbing in alpinism, the two are NOT the same. Not by a long shot.

In reply to:
Although I agree the alpinist is GREAT magazine, and is by far the best climbing mag out there... I have noticed more and more being done about bouldering in the magazine.

No, that's not accurate. There are articles about alpine climbers who also happend to climb on boulders. But again, to assume that alpine climbing and bouldering is the same is sheer fallacy.

In reply to:
Do y'all realize that the same photographers and writers publish their stuff in all these rags?

Really? Which issue of R&I featured an article on Fitz Roy by Rolando Garibotti? (Alpinist 5.) Which issue of Climbing had the comprehensive history and review of climbing on the Titan written by Steve "Crusher" Bartlett? (Alpinist 8.)

Go ahead and look through your back copies... I'll wait.

In reply to:
Any how, it must suck being of the deflated old guard.

How would you know?

edited for HTML tags.

backclipped

Oct 11, 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #82 of 82 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't know; you called out my newbness, remember? Anyway, I was just taking the defensive dickhead track. My point is that I read just about everything that's put in front of me. I may be a new climber, but I've been skiing for, oh about 25 years now (I'm 29 now). Still reading all the mags (even the shitty gear reviews).

chris

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook