Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Possible Problem with new CCH Aliens....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

vegastradguy

Oct 9, 2005, 3:03 PM
Post #1 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Possible Problem with new CCH Aliens....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

check the link, folks....

Supertopo Thread on Aliens....

Partner angry

Oct 9, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Re: Possible Problem with new CCH Aliens.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those ST people are idiots.

Why the hell should CCH do a recall of everything including the good cams? Send a bad one back and I'm sure they'd fix it for nothing.

vegastradguy

Oct 9, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #3 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not promoting the recall, just lettin people know they should check their aliens before they go take 'em climbin for the first time.

patgio

Oct 9, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why the hell should CCH do a recall of everything including the good cams? Send a bad one back and I'm sure they'd fix it for nothing.

Beyond the obvious issue of knowingly selling defective life-safety equipment, CCH is now on my do NOT buy list. There is lots of competition and alternative manufactures and I buy from manufactures that I have confidence in. I understand unintentional defective products happen and the companies response at such times is important to me. Merely hoping that everyone who bought a defective product will be able to detect the defect is not adequate when my life might be on the line while using the product.

I hope their manufacturing process is good enough that they can recall specific model and lot numbers. If not that is another reason not to buy their gear.

Partner angry

Oct 9, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Beyond the obvious issue of knowingly selling defective life-safety equipment, CCH is now on my do NOT buy list. There is lots of competition and alternative manufactures and I buy from manufactures that I have confidence in. I understand unintentional defective products happen and the companies response at such times is important to me. Merely hoping that everyone who bought a defective product will be able to detect the defect is not adequate when my life might be on the line while using the product.

I hope their manufacturing process is good enough that they can recall specific model and lot numbers. If not that is another reason not to buy their gear.

Spoken like a true ignorant. Business doesn't work this way.

Cars get recalled on an almost daily basis, they are brought to the dealer and a simple change is made for free. Sometimes this in on very dangerous situations.

Bicycle parts too, I remember 3T sending us a bunch of bolts that were like .5mm shorter than normal, and asking us to put them on every 3T stem that came through. It didn't warrant a replacement of the stem.

I blew some shoes in 7 climbs, and the manufacturer assured me it was an isolated rubber problem and gave me a brand new pair of shoes. It certainly didn't warrant recalling every shoe they made.

The only time I usually see a full recall on something is when there is a choking hazard. CCH believes you are smart enough not to deep throat an orange alien so this should be unneccesary.

Quoted again for effect
In reply to:
I buy from manufactures that I have confidence in.

There is ONE cam on the market that is legendary for holding unlikely falls. There is one cam on the market that goes in where NOTHING else will. The is one cam on the market that makes me want to write a letter of praise to the manufacturer after half my placements.

Shall we define confidence?

curt

Oct 9, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #6 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'm not promoting the recall, just lettin people know they should check their aliens before they go take 'em climbin for the first time.

I read the ST thread and agree with you. The problem with some of these orange aliens appears to be that the axle hole was drilled in the wrong place through the cams on some of the units--resulting in a camming range that is extremely small. A simple cursory inspection will certainly reveal this defect.

Curt

topher

Oct 9, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #7 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a recall well maybe not needed. in this modern world when it would be so easy (it would take like 20 minutes) to go on line and submit somthing to RC.com, or any other major web site and send a mass email to retailers letting them know the problem, is just wrong. it sounds like it isnt a huge safty issue, as the cam rang is just tiny, but still when i shell out 70bucks Canadian for 50cents worth of metal, i have to assume that it was made right and i can trust mine and my friends lives to it. I personaly think that CCH makes great stuff, and yes some times things happen but, i personaly belive that its rather iresponsable for them to have not let the public know asap, and rather wait untill some one finds out and posts it on a message board.

dudemanbu

Oct 9, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #8 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CCH should've posted something on their website about this a long time ago, or tried to get in touch with consumers via other means like this here website. I don't believe there should be a full recall, but some heads up would've been nice. I'm glad i bought zeros and not aliens.

Partner climboard

Oct 9, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #9 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Quoted again for effect
In reply to:
I buy from manufactures that I have confidence in.

There is ONE cam on the market that is legendary for holding unlikely falls. There is one cam on the market that goes in where NOTHING else will. The is one cam on the market that makes me want to write a letter of praise to the manufacturer after half my placements.

I think almost everyone will agree that CCH makes a great product but that isn't the issue here. The issue is whether they have made efforts to make sure this isn't a safety hazard. If it is then obviously a recall would be in order. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have determined that it isn't a safety issue, in which case I agree with previous posters that they should make an effort to spread the word that there was a defect with a batch of aliens and make efforts to replace them.

The difference between a good company and a great company is how they treat their customers. When Wild Country had an issue with the first batches of Heliums they did the right thing and recalled them all for inspection even though the defect was limited. I understand that people make mistakes- it's how they handle it that sets one company apart from another. That said I have full confidence that WC makes quality products and if they discover a flaw they'll make it right.

Everything in this thread is just speculation so far, I am curious to see what comes out of this.

stabla

Oct 9, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #10 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is this with only the orange alien or other sizes too>? I just received my first full set two weeks ago and everything appears fine

rossgoddard

Oct 9, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #11 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
CCH should've posted something on their website about this a long time ago
CCH doesn't have a website

jabtocrag

Oct 9, 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #12 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

http://aliencamsbycch.com/

afiveonbelay

Oct 9, 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #13 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So let me see, prongo bought a piece of gear without inspecting it in the store ( or as soon as the package arrived ).

Prongo packed his gear without inspecting all his equipment before he went climbing.

Let's see, prongo racked up his gear at the base of the climb he was going to lead without checking that all pieces were fully functional.

ummmm.... It's good that this thread was started and maybe it should be periodically bumped, but before we starting lining up CCH in the liability sites, let's look at our own responsibility.

jimfix

Oct 10, 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #14 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smell another 14 page thread of alien lover flames

I'd call it a :troll:, but it looks like a genuine warning

justen

Oct 10, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #15 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh My GOD!

I've seen 12 year old babysitter's websites that are better than that!

CCH's is POOR poor poor. Cutting costs to lower price is one thing, but come on! :roll:

vegastradguy

Oct 10, 2005, 3:12 AM
Post #16 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh My GOD!

I've seen 12 year old babysitter's websites that are better than that!

CCH's is POOR poor poor. Cutting costs to lower price is one thing, but come on! :roll:

yeah, and thats the new one. you should have seen the old one....

Partner tattooed_climber

Oct 11, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #17 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

WHAT?...omega P just did a recall....metolius just did a recall...LOTS OF COMPANYS DO RECALLS!...and one possible bad cam claim (FROM THE INTROWEB OF ALL PLACES, without ANY pictures of proof) doesn't mean FUCK ALL....

STFU :roll:

besides the stupid thread here, its every climbers responsibility to check his or her or partners gear before ANYTHING...including before you buy it..its just fuckin' common sense

areuinclimber

Oct 11, 2005, 1:30 AM
Post #18 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

from the looks of it, most people arent reading the thread on supertaco. there are a few people that have experienced it (prongo and the 2 customers at that dudes shop). i agree that it is mainly the climbers responsibility to check that gear is bomber. but to knowingly produce defective cams is bullshit in any book (it was stated in the thread that cch knew about it and they feel "uncomfortable" talking about it). that is warrant for at least a widespread warning. but this is the internet and words mean nothing without proof. according to the thread (which most obviously didnt read) they are working on that one. and to the people now refusing to buy the cams based on one claim (yet to be proved), i'd like to see you get another cam to fit into a shallow pin scar anywhere near as well as offsets (is that design patented?). not to mention the myriad other placements they just kick ass in. i'll take aliens becuase to me, climbing is more important than customer service. but if this little fiasco is true then i'd gladly buy another cam if one ever comes out that rivals aliens (none yet).

elvislegs

Oct 11, 2005, 2:11 AM
Post #19 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

word shizzle. so word.

all those who haven't taken a fall on a dubious flared placement that only a green alien would fit...

SIT DOWN SON, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!1

billcoe_

Oct 11, 2005, 7:25 PM
Post #20 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading the ST thread: CCH appears to be avoiding responsibility.

That is bull*sh*t.

My take on it.

I like Aliens too, but this is starting to look wrong.

specifically this post: " I work at a shop in Truckee CA and have had 2 customers bring in orange aliens with the same problem. I called CCH and they stated that "we are uncomfortable discussing the problem"...GIVE ME A BREAK...I would think that more strict product control should be in place for cams. As of yet they are even unwilling to discuss the matter let alone replace the cams for my customers. "

Bull*sh*t. If true.

Partner devkrev

Oct 11, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #21 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So is it based on lunar cycles or something?
It seems like every 6 months or so, another
"CCH aliens so and so break, faultly, yada yada yada" thread comes out
Maybe we can base a new calender around it
I'll head up the commitee
later
dev

areuinclimber

Oct 11, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #22 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So is it based on lunar cycles or something?
It seems like every 6 months or so, another
"CCH aliens so and so break, faultly, yada yada yada" thread comes out
Maybe we can base a new calender around it
I'll head up the commitee
later
dev

oh.....jesus

Partner drrock

Oct 11, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #23 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit

dudemanbu

Oct 11, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #24 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

http://aliencamsbycch.com/

insert foot in mouth.

justen

Oct 12, 2005, 1:04 AM
Post #25 of 49 (14151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, I know- I saw the "alien" themed site, and yes it sucked too, but I liked it better because at least they had STYLE, so it looked like their focus was on the product.

Now their sites still sucks but are trying to pretend it doesnt by looking professional and come off looking bad for their company.

The've Lost their STYLE

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook