Premier Sponsor:

a-dog
Deleted

Oct 11, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1314 views)
Shortcut

southern Germany
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone. Ill be heading to Garnish, Southern Germany in late December. Does anybody know of any good ice climbing around that area? I have never been there for climbing before, so I'm not too sure what is around that area. Also, if anyone can recommend any guidebooks that would be awesome. I will defiantly be doing some skiing, but was wondering if it would be worth it to pack the ice gear as well. :lol:

climbjunk

Oct 11, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: southern Germany [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope you are going to Garmisch (Patenkirchen), 'cause I can't find the other place on the map! Well, you just lucked out! You will be right in the middle of everything. Go to Sport Conrad downtown for guideboks and advice. There is usually good ice from late december, either up in Mittenwald or over in the Inntal in the Kühtai, Sellrain, Pitztal, Stubaital. Do the "kerze" in the Pinnistal if it is in. If it is to warmm you can rockclimb in the Dschungelbuch or the chinesische mauer.

So, suck it up, cancel all social activities and climb. It's better than So Cal!

a-dog
Deleted

Oct 11, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like i need to stard doing some research. As a follow up question, do you know the probability of an intermediate climber finding a partner in that region? I can lead moderate stuff, like WI 3 and 4's, but nothing insane. Are there many climbs in that area around that difficulty?

qwert

Oct 11, 2005, 9:38 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i cant tell you about every single location, since im not in GAP that often, but it definitely is worth the trip, be it for ski touring, skiing in resorts, ice-, mixed-, or rockclimbing.
just be carefull with the avalanche situation, it is often pretty bad.

qwert

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook