Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Equipping Rappel Stations on Wilderness Routes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

takeme

Oct 13, 2005, 1:04 AM
Post #151 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Re: Equipping Rappel Stations on Wilderness Routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Do you consider Rocky Mountain NP to be wilderness? It's certainly happened there. Every major, semi-popular formation has a bolted rappel route. I don't think any had them until the late 80s.

Well, given the amount of use RMNP sees and that there is a road across it, I find it hard to call it wilderness. Same goes for the Cirque, it sees way too much traffic to really feel all that wild.

I tend to agree with you, depending on what part of RMNP we're talking about. The popular summertime spots don't necessarily feel or seem like wilderness--depending on the day. Many places in Wild Basin, the northern Mummy Range, and the west side of the Park do.

All of the popular spots are stunningly beautiful and at least somewhat wild places, however, and my feeling is that we should treat them as wilderness, as much as possible.

In reply to:
But for the sake of argument, let's consider, RMNP to be wilderness. Outside of Lumpy, I can think of 3 bolted raps in the Park, the Petit, the Diamond/Broadway, the Cables Route. That certainly is more than no bolts, but it hardly seems like a problem of over bolting. On Longs it took, what, 60 - 70 years for the bolts to propagate from the north face to the east?

Granted, I haven't climbed a lot in the Park in the last 5 years. If there are more bolted rap lines, I just don't about them. Please enlighten me.

No problem. You left out Spearhead (one or two of these anchors still consist of slings), Chiefshead, Notchtop (down the west face), and the Lower East Face of Long's (below the right side of the Diamond). Hallet is the only really popular mountain I can think of which doesn't have a bolted rappel down the face, although the eastern ridge descent uses one rappel which has new bolts and chains.

In reply to:
I do remember when the Diamond wasn't bolted. When I first heard about the bolts, I remember thinking that they were rather stupid, given that you could climb to the top of Longs and come down the north side. Now having used them, I can't say I'm sorry they were there.

I agree with your original sentiment. The traditional walk-off descent is no problem. I've used the rap route as well, but I certainly prefer to walk off. Am I sorry the bolts were there? Well....I think they exist purely for reasons of convenience. I guess that kind of bums me out a bit. They certainly haven't reduced the amount of tat on the face; if anything, they've increased it! What bothers me most is that they've had the effect of significantly decreasing the commitment level involved in attempting the Diamond, as well as (and partially thereby) contributing to a noticeable increase in traffic.

Someone earlier in this thread rather strikingly admonished wilderness climbers to leave covenience for the rat race. The Diamond, the North Chimney, and the rap route have become the rat race! And while I won't deny that there are other reasons for this beyond the rap route (most notably, the phenomenal climbing and exposure), I think it was folly to do anything (read:adding bolts) that would exacerbate that trend.

tradklime

Oct 13, 2005, 3:08 AM
Post #152 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some did and some may have dispersed it (i.e., split the traffic between the traditional walk-off and the more direct rappel route), but it's not all that clear to me what point you're trying to make. There was nothing wrong with the traditional walk-off descents on any of these formations, although they were no doubt inconvenient, and may have even required scrambling in the mountains.

I wasn't trying to make a specific point, just ask questions. Your particular examples seem to be of situations where new rap routes were established where there weren't ones before, or where there were traditional walk-offs. The addition of a new rap route, bolted or not, certainly can change the character of a climb.

However, the original post related to a well established rap route that consisted of slings. I contend that replacing sling anchors with bolts on a well established rap route does nothing to change the character of a climbing experience.

I would also contend that considering a climb/ formation that requires a rap descent where there are several established rap routes, random tat anchors, etc., if you establish a well thought out bolted rap route, you can actually help reduce overall impact, and with very little affect on the climbing experience.

It is my opinion, while not all fixed anchors are created equal, that there is very little difference in climbing experience if the anchor is trust worthy.

takeme

Oct 13, 2005, 3:44 AM
Post #153 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, the original post related to a well established rap route that consisted of slings. I contend that replacing sling anchors with bolts on a well established rap route does nothing to change the character of a climbing experience.

I thought about what you said, and I disagree. For example, I've ascended the Diamond several times while committing in advance to doing the bolted rappel route (although I prefer to walk off, on these occasions I acceded to the wishes of my partners and friends). However, if there were no bolted rappel route, I would never commit to climbing the Diamond without feeling like there was a good probability of success in reaching the walk-off.

Why? Well, I confess to arriving at those fat stainless bolts on rap and slamming into them without a second thought, but I would hardly do that when rapping from any nest of slings that I happened upon, or of course any anchor that I had to place myself. To me, that's an intergral part of alpine climbing: assessing the situation, what you're presented with, what tools you have to use, what skills, etc. On both the ascent and descent. Bolts, in either case, reduce the required measure of self-reliance. I'm not saying that bolts have no place if we're to climb according to a wilderness ethic, but I do think they should be used as a last resort--on the climb or the descent.

In reply to:
I would also contend that considering a climb/ formation that requires a rap descent where there are several established rap routes, random tat anchors, etc., if you establish a well thought out bolted rap route, you can actually help reduce overall impact, and with very little affect on the climbing experience.

If a rap descent is actually required, then I think it could go either way. As I've said earlier in this thread, I think nests of slings will continue to exist on Wolf's Head W.Face, because that descent is very confusing, and people will always miss the bolts.

In reply to:
It is my opinion, while not all fixed anchors are created equal, that there is very little difference in climbing experience if the anchor is trust worthy.

Again, I think without bolts, the onus is on the climbing team's judgment and experience, i.e. 'mountain sense' if you will.

For example, check out these links:

http://www.climbingboulder.com/...outhwest_corner.html
skip to and read the last 3 comments,

http://www.climbingboulder.com/...np_alpine/the_saber/
read the comment at the bottom.

The SW Corner of the Saber is kind of a spicy outing, and personally I'm glad the descent is complex and tenuous any way you do it; I thought it was in keeping with the nature of the route and what I expect from a mountain climbing adventure.

rufusandcompany

Oct 13, 2005, 5:14 AM
Post #154 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rufusandcompany wrote:

The only myopic view here is yours - especially when the information is right in front of you.

tradklime wrote:

Well my opinion on the subject, if that matters, is that it depends. Like most things. However, I fully disagree with the bolts are evil mantra. They have their place, and fixed anchors happen to be one of them, in my opinion.

If you are referring to my comments as insinuating that bolts are evil, then you have completely misinterpreted what I said. The issue of fixed anchors being placed by a first ascent party is about making decisions on unchartered territory. Some teams make good decisions and some don't, although I would like to believe that they would consider the impact on the experiences of future visitor to their routes. My primary concern is with the issue of retro-fixing bolted anchors on routes that have been established and successfully negotiated without them - usually by numerous parties. I find this unacceptable for all of my aforementioned reasons.

In reply to:
rufus wrote:

Bolts are fixed hardware, and they most certainly change the character of the climbing experience.

tradklime wrote:

Fixed anchors are fixed anchors. If a nest of slings is permanent in practice, what's the difference? The difference is only how YOU perceive the impact of said anchor. The reality is that in some ways the slings have more of an impact than bolts, and in some ways less.

The difference is that the integrity of slings is always more questionable, which adds to the adventure, whereas large new bolts immediately instill confidence that there is a safe way out. I just doesn't feel the same. I wish that the practice of leaving slings on rap stations would be banned. I hate running into them. I will concede that it is somewhat a matter of perception, although it does make a difference.

In reply to:
rufus wrote:

This isn't about dogma.

tradklime wrote:

You could have fooled me.

I was speaking for myself, and it isn't about dogma to me.

tradklime

Oct 13, 2005, 2:42 PM
Post #155 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Again, I think without bolts, the onus is on the climbing team's judgment and experience, i.e. 'mountain sense' if you will.

This is probably the crux of our divergent opinions. For rap anchors, I like bolts better, for a myriad of reasons, but I don't necessarily emphatically trust them, nor do I emphatically mistrust slings. In some ways, if I am rapping off a solid block with a sling that I just placed, I trust it more than bolts that have been in place for many years.

If I am looking for an established rap route and I can visually identify a series of rainbow wads, it instills confidence that i will be able to find the next anchor when I commit to a long series of rappels. If I'm rapping off some camo bolts, I sometimes worry that I'll have trouble finding the next set, or that I'll over shoot them, etc...

So, once again, I'd say it really depends on the particular circumstance. Sometimes, for me, bolts add adventure to a descent and sometimes they detract from adventure. However, the real detraction from the adventure, in my opinion, is the knowledge of an established rap route, regardless of anchor type.

tradklime

Oct 13, 2005, 2:57 PM
Post #156 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For example, check out these links:
Regarding your experience on the Saber... well sabotage certainly would add to the adventure. I think it's fair to point out that if someone is that motivated, they could sabotage bolts as well. And I'm not sure that dealing with attempted murder is something most consider integral to the wilderness climbing experience.

That said, I'm glad you did your due dilignence and that you didn't get hurt.

dingus

Oct 13, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #157 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wish that the practice of leaving slings on rap stations would be banned.

It is my fervent wish that you and others who wish to involve government to 'get your way' never do.

You don't like them, so they should be banned.

Jeez, I'd rather you NUT UP and do it the Ken Nichols way rather than running to Mommy Dearest land Manager. Just go chop the shit out of what you don't like, that's the American Climber way.

I'm serious, too.

DMT

roy_hinkley_jr

Oct 13, 2005, 3:35 PM
Post #158 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Getting down is every bit a part of the adventure. Ask anyone who have even been on a big mountain or peak, because you obviously haven't.

What BS. You're just dreaming up dumb@ss arguements to support your weak claims. Adding a bolted rap route doesn't in the slightest decrease from the sense of accomplishment of a alpine climb. It doesn't decrease the adventure you so crave in the slightest. It does protect the environment, it does reduce pointless epics, it does make the entire experience better. There are a bazillion other routes in the Winds that offer a wilderness experience--nothing in the Cirque qualifies.

rufusandcompany

Oct 13, 2005, 3:54 PM
Post #159 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I wish that the practice of leaving slings on rap stations would be banned.

It is my fervent wish that you and others who wish to involve government to 'get your way' never do.

You don't like them, so they should be banned.

Jeez, I'd rather you NUT UP and do it the Ken Nichols way rather than running to Mommy Dearest land Manager. Just go chop the s--- out of what you don't like, that's the American Climber way.

I'm serious, too.

DMT

Don't talk to me about the American way of climbing until you have been around it long enough to make that distinction.

I have been nutting up for three decades, and I don't recall there ever having been so much idol chatter about sling anchors. We just used them, cut them, or whatever, but it just wasn't ever a topic worthy of so much discussion.

We also didn't run to the bolt kit because the descent was inconvenient. Talk about a need for nutting up. I'm getting tired of this REI, yuppie, weekend-wilderness-warrior mentality in our sport. Television commercials with climbing poseurs are making everyone want to try their hand at it, and gyms are convincing them that it doesn't have to be that hard or dangerous. Just bolt it all up, nice and safe, so you can run back to your family and neighbors and tell them what a hero you are.

Maybe you are starting to get my point, and maybe you're not. We haven't proven that we can monitor things on our own. Respect for tradition and the consideration of others is disappearing at a rapid rate, and my opportunity to enjoy the challenge of the wilderness will soon be all but gone, because wannabees can't - as you say -nut up and deal with nature on its own terms.

As for Ken Nichols, he is a radical nutjob, with too much idol time on his hands. His tactics are as bad as those of the manic bolters. Neither has managed to achieve anything constructive. They care about no one but themselves, and they do nothing to enhance the quality of our sport.

Is this serious enough for you?

dingus

Oct 13, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #160 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't talk to me about the American way of climbing until you have been around it long enough to make that distinction.

1973 big mouth. You always attack the poster's credentials. Seen you do it time and again.

DMT

rufusandcompany

Oct 13, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #161 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

1973 big mouth. You always attack the poster's credentials. Seen you do it time and again.

DMT

It wasn't an attack. It was a response to your comments - stated in the same style as your comments. There really is a more productive way to go about this, because your earlier statements lead me to believe that our climbing philosophies are not that disparate.

Tell you what. You agree not to be a smart ass, and stick to the topic, and I will do the same. Then maybe we can actually accomplish something.

I apologize for the sharp tongue. I felt that you were asking for it, but it really wasn't necessary.

Since you have been around the sport this long, how do you feel about so much attention being given to slings?

agrauch

Oct 13, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #162 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I tend to agree with you, depending on what part of RMNP we're talking about. The popular summertime spots don't necessarily feel or seem like wilderness--depending on the day. Many places in Wild Basin, the northern Mummy Range, and the west side of the Park do.

All of the popular spots are stunningly beautiful and at least somewhat wild places, however, and my feeling is that we should treat them as wilderness, as much as possible.

Agreed. We should do all we can to keep the backcountry as pristine as possible. Isn’t that what the whole debate is all about? Will a few bolts be any more harmful to the rock in the long run than clump of webbing? I know that a bolt permanently alters the rock, but is that a fair trade off for potentially decreasing masses of rotting slings and consolidating multiple rap routes into one? Will an established rap route catch on and actually work like an established trail? I really don’t know.

In reply to:
In reply to:
I do remember when the Diamond wasn't bolted. When I first heard about the bolts, I remember thinking that they were rather stupid, given that you could climb to the top of Longs and come down the north side. Now having used them, I can't say I'm sorry they were there.

I agree with your original sentiment. The traditional walk-off descent is no problem. I've used the rap route as well, but I certainly prefer to walk off. Am I sorry the bolts were there? Well....I think they exist purely for reasons of convenience. I guess that kind of bums me out a bit. They certainly haven't reduced the amount of tat on the face; if anything, they've increased it! What bothers me most is that they've had the effect of significantly decreasing the commitment level involved in attempting the Diamond, as well as (and partially thereby) contributing to a noticeable increase in traffic.

You have a very valid point about the Diamond, this may be a case where bolting a rap hasn’t really helped any thing at all. I’m not sure that the bolts reduce the commitment level of the Diamond all that much, it remains a fairly serious undertaking. The perception of it may have changed though. We can’t entirely blame the bolts for people getting in over their heads and epicing all over the east face of Longs.

In reply to:
No problem. You left out Spearhead (one or two of these anchors still consist of slings), Chiefshead, Notchtop (down the west face), and the Lower East Face of Long's (below the right side of the Diamond). Hallet is the only really popular mountain I can think of which doesn't have a bolted rappel down the face, although the eastern ridge descent uses one rappel which has new bolts and chains.

I wasn’t aware of established raps on Spearhead and Notchtop I find that fairly surprising and disturbing. I can’t remember there being much difficulty in walking off either of those. Bolting a descent where a perfectly feasible walk off exists is as ridiculous as retro-bolting an easily protected crack. But, that is an entirely different issue than bolting an already well established rap route.

rufusandcompany

Oct 13, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #163 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Getting down is every bit a part of the adventure. Ask anyone who have even been on a big mountain or peak, because you obviously haven't.

What BS. You're just dreaming up dumb@ss arguements to support your weak claims. Adding a bolted rap route doesn't in the slightest decrease from the sense of accomplishment of a alpine climb. It doesn't decrease the adventure you so crave in the slightest. It does protect the environment, it does reduce pointless epics, it does make the entire experience better. There are a bazillion other routes in the Winds that offer a wilderness experience--nothing in the Cirque qualifies.

Maybe it's BS to you because you are in favor of grabbing a drill every time things get inconvenient. I don't know you well enough to know that for sure, so why don't you state your entire position on the topic. Then I will know how to respond to you.

dingus

Oct 13, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #164 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I apologize for the sharp tongue. I felt that you were asking for it, but it really wasn't necessary.

Since you have been around the sport this long, how do you feel about so much attention being given to slings?

I apologize for antagonizing you.

I've pretty much stated my opinion on the rap anchors in question, its a 50 Crowded and like it or not alpine noobs will continue to take their first swipes at the Cirque.

I just don't get that outraged about it any more. You spoke of dogma and we both know it cuts both ways. More than a decade ago I realized there are no 'one size fits all' ethical positions to take that will cover all styles for all people... I can't even find them for me and my own styles! it simply will never happen and this thread is evidence enough of that.

So I employ situation ethics. And in this situation, a chain anchored rap station is are not going to ruin anything imo, and would make a potential eye sore less so, AND save some noobs some misery.

I'm ok with a few lower risk alpine starter routes too.

Slings overall? I'm just not that bothered by the issue Rufas. I've rapped from some of the crappiest mank imaginable and had I had a bolt kit at those times I would have happily drilled. I bet there are countless times when you could have done the same.

I do know this... I have been immensely thankful for the folks who HAVE left rap anchors behind for the benefit of others. For some, the rap station is effectively litter, they would have taken it with them if they could. Others though, take the time to improve a rap station for others.

Sometimes I've been that dude. Climbed in the Valley a lot. There are certain raps that are in chimneys, and the stations themselves are in water falls for part of the year. I know you have them in your neck too. These rats nests are unbelievable... and should be replaced by clean bolted chain rap anchors.

Others should be left alone. Situational ethics at its finest.

Cheers & Peace
DMT

agrauch

Oct 13, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #165 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have been nutting up for three decades, and I don't recall there ever having been so much idol chatter about sling anchors. We just used them, cut them, or whatever, but it just wasn't ever a topic worthy of so much discussion.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with sling anchors. I use them, cut and replace them, and leave them. No problems.

I see nothing wrong with questioning traditional ethics. Seems like one size fits all dogmas very rarely do just that, fit.

rufusandcompany

Oct 13, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #166 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I apologize for antagonizing you.

I've pretty much stated my opinion on the rap anchors in question, its a 50 Crowded and like it or not alpine noobs will continue to take their first swipes at the Cirque.

I just don't get that outraged about it any more. You spoke of dogma and we both know it cuts both ways. More than a decade ago I realized there are no 'one size fits all' ethical positions to take that will cover all styles for all people... I can't even find them for me and my own styles! it simply will never happen and this thread is evidence enough of that.

So I employ situation ethics. And in this situation, a chain anchored rap station is are not going to ruin anything imo, and would make a potential eye sore less so, AND save some noobs some misery.

I'm ok with a few lower risk alpine starter routes too.

Slings overall? I'm just not that bothered by the issue Rufas. I've rapped from some of the crappiest mank imaginable and had I had a bolt kit at those times I would have happily drilled. I bet there are countless times when you could have done the same.

I do know this... I have been immensely thankful for the folks who HAVE left rap anchors behind for the benefit of others. For some, the rap station is effectively litter, they would have taken it with them if they could. Others though, take the time to improve a rap station for others.

Sometimes I've been that dude. Climbed in the Valley a lot. There are certain raps that are in chimneys, and the stations themselves are in water falls for part of the year. I know you have them in your neck too. These rats nests are unbelievable... and should be replaced by clean bolted chain rap anchors.

Others should be left alone. Situational ethics at its finest.

Cheers & Peace
DMT

I really can't disagree with much of what you've just said. I know that I might sound as though I am beating a dead horse, but I really do believe that retro-bolting established routes will increase the belief that more is okay. I despise slippery slope logic, and I don't really think that my concern falls into the category, because of what I have experienced lately. I have been in SLC for approximately a year now, and signs of manic retro-bolting and cold chisel chopping tactics are starting to show up here.

I too feel that situations can only realistically be handled on a case-by-case basis, although I know that there is no real need for retro-bolting established routes. If they have been negotiated without bolts, then there is absolutely no reason to install them.

During the nineties, I guided and taught climbing in the Front Range. Having spent so much time in Eldorado Canyon, I was able to observe certain climbing patterns. One of those patterns occurred regularly on a classic route called Cest Le Vie. It is a multi-pitch route on which the third pitch rarely if ever gets done. Most people rap from the top of the second pitch, because the third pitch involves a certain level of commitment.

The second pitch is an incipient 5.11 dihedral that flares at the top and rolls onto a small ledge. The crack opens to a few inches wide on that ledge. For years there was a fixed bong and nut with several attached slings, from which most parties rapped the route. Because of the position of the fixed rap gear, ropes were consistently getting jammed into the crack - causing epics for some parties. I had to go up there on two occasions to get climbers down.

Eventually, during an ace meeting, I proposed a bolted rap station be installed a few feet above the crack, on the head wall, so that people wouldn't become stuck up there. Although I am usually adamantly against such tactics, I reasoned that, because the route was in plain view of so many tourists, I was concerned that a few high-profile epics weren't going to sit well with those tourists, who might feel the need to mention it to the city.I submitted my proposal, and was awarded the permit almost eleven months later, at which time I installed the bolts.

Many climbers have commented to me that they appreciate having the bolts there, and they certainly have eliminated the risk of jammed rope epics, although, in retrospect, I truly regret having installed them. The fact is that the third pitch is well worth the effort, although most will now never be inspired to do it. Secondly, learning how to negotiate tricky rappels is part of the game, as is getting in over ones head. That is how we learn.

Hindsight is twenty twenty, and maybe my initial decision was the best one, although something in my gut tells me that I should have left that classic route alone.

Food for thought.

crotch

Oct 13, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #167 of 167 (9546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're just dreaming up dumb@ss arguements to support your weak claims.

Now Roy adds some dumbass arguments of his own:

In reply to:
Adding a bolted rap route doesn't in the slightest decrease from the sense of accomplishment of a alpine climb. It doesn't decrease the adventure you so crave in the slightest. It does protect the environment, it does reduce pointless epics, it does make the entire experience better.

Epics = adventure.  Reducing epics = reducing adventure. Roy's basic premise is that adventure need only be preserved on the way up, where the 'real climbing' is done. Defining a climb as beginning where the climbing shoes come on and ending at the top of the 5th class terrain was formerly the province of cragging.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that most folks that have spent a significant amount of time in the mountains don't let down their guard when they top out. Sometimes the descent can be more technical, more dangerous, and demand more from you than the ascent.

Speaking generally, would most backcountry climbers consider bolting and then publicizing a rap route (where there once was none) a form of 'sanitization', a dumbing down of the backcountry experience? I do.

Getting down is a skill that has to be learned somewhere.

This issue WILL make it to your favorite "wilderness" climbing area.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook