Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
First time to Obed
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

janace

Oct 21, 2005, 1:26 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

First time to Obed  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Obed--Clear_Creek)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm heading from my home crag (RRG) to Linville Gorge to climb at Table Rock. From Table Rock on our way back to RRG were going to spend a few days in Obed. I was curious if anyone had some general information that might be beneficial for a first timer? I have a copy of the Dixie Cragger so I've got some information, I'm just looking for some personal experience type of stuff. Places to avoid, etc....

We are looking to climb sport 5.9 to 5.11. (Mostly 10's would be nice :))

Thanks,
Janace

ccarver99

Oct 21, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Re: First time to Obed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there -

Good choice on places to climb. Table Rock and Obed are two of my favorite places to climb.

When you go to Obed, the best place to go is South Clear Creek. It is usually busy on weekends, but not too bad on weekdays. The hike in is about 15 minutes, but its not that bad. The first wall you come to, Image wall, has some good warm-up climbs. Some other great climbs are:

Spawn 10c/d
Shadowhawk 9
It 10a
Pet Semetary 11a
Brother in Arms 10b
Best Seat in the House 9+

If you want a shorter approach (less than 5 mins), Lilly Bluff is a great place. Some good climbs are:

Tarantella 10a
Rocking chair 9
Heresy 11c (the roof is only 10c)
Clyde the Mega Dude 11b/c (great dyno)

Hope you have a great time.

Chris

climbhigh2005

Oct 21, 2005, 2:42 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey... I agree with Chris on his climbs... Best Seat is my fav. climb out there... Pet Symmetary is classis... If you go to Lilly, Ticks are for kids 10a/b is a good one, and Dinasor Jr 10something and bladeloafer 10something... I've never done paraphelna, but I heard it was classic... well i hope you have fun!!

thorne
Deleted

Oct 21, 2005, 3:17 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This link has some good topos.
http://www.drtopo.com/...ssee/clearcreek.html

Del's is the only campground in the immediate area. Several years back, Del opened his property (where he and his family live) to climbers. If you stay there, please be considerate.

Lilly Bluff has quite a few good climbs in the 9-11 range. It's a five minute approach. It's mostly a warm weather crag since all of the routes stay in the shade. If the temps are above 70, check it out. Otherwise, spend all yout time at Clear Creek.

North Clear Creek has some really nice 11s. It's also a five minute walk the car. I think it stays pretty shady, too.

putputgolfer

Oct 21, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Alien(?)10d right next to Tarantella it is amazing. Also the climb that shares a start with Ticks are for Kids has nasty rusty bolts and the pockets stay wet forever.

janace

Oct 21, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great beta! It's looking like we'll spend two days in Obed so I'll try to hit alot of your suggestions.

Thanks again!
Janace

thorne
Deleted

Oct 21, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You said you were going to Table Rock and that you're looking for 5.9-5.11 sport. Table Rock is pretty limitted when it comes to sport (except for 5.4-5.6 climbs and What's Up Doc?(10d)).

I love Linville Gorge. It offers great rock in a fantastic setting, but it's mostly trad.

If you find Linville lacking, for the climbing you want, check out Rumbling Bald. The Lakeview/Flakeview area has some nice clip ups. If you go, take Hwy 64 to I-26 when you leave to the Obed.

janace

Oct 21, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #8 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Thorne,

Yeah, were ready to climb some trad at Table Rock. :) Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely check that area out. Is it in the Select Climbs of NC book, or another?

Thanks!
Janace

outsideguyzak

Oct 21, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #9 of 9 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obed is an excellent choice.

I just wanted to let you know that the south clear trail has had some recent logging done to it. After you have been walking for probably 10 minutes or so, the trail will end into an open area of dirt where they have been logging. Continue on through, and follow the edge of the cleared area, not more than 100 yards, and you will find where the trail continues on. Look carefully bc the trail is not huge.

If you don't have luck, you can just go right, into the woods to the cliffline. Follow it until you see the trail down.

Southclear is excellent, definitely better than lily(which is also great). I totally agree with chris and melissa about which routes you should climb.

Have a blast.
peace,
zak

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook