RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

deschamps1000

Oct 26, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Alpine in Arizona?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm moving to Arizona, and am very excited except for the lack of cold weather.

Are there any alpine routes in Arizona during the winter? Maybe in the mountains up north? Any info would be appreciated.

By Alpine I mean long multipitch rock routes or technical ice/snow climbs.

Partner bill

Oct 26, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpine in Arizona? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, there really isn't. You'll have to do a bit of driving, most likely to Southwestern Colorado to find that type of thing.

cdog

Oct 26, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't expect much technical snow and ice. There might be a couple interesting routes up steep parts of the San Francisco peaks in winter, but I would guess nothing steeper than 45deg.
I've found some potential ice routes here in the White Mts but nothing dependable and nothing long.
There are plenty of long multipitch rock routes in the state however, and even the desert gets snow occassionally.
I moved out last Feb. to eastern AZ (the "wettest part of the state") and am always looking for partners for long moderate trad routes. Let me know when you're available.

deschamps1000

Oct 26, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long are the longest rock routes in AZ?

ecjohnson

Oct 26, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not really, but the Santa Theresa? mountains have a ton of backcountry climbing. The Galiuro Wilderness is between them and Mt. Lemmon I think. They are a range of big granite domes. I think there is a lot of new route potential also? Maybe. I've been told but don't bank on this, that it is a bit like climbing in the Cochise Stronghold, which is the AZ climbing that I know and love best.

But, if you come to SW Colorado. There is a ton of Alpine in the San Juans. Monitor Peak, the Wham Ridge on Vestal peak. There is a ton. pm me and I can find more info for you.

sonso45

Oct 26, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few 1000' routes in southern AZ and various parts of the state, none qualify as alpine.

climbsomething

Oct 26, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can do some winter hiking, and there is more backcountry trad than I can even properly explain. Get your mitts on Bob Kerry's Backcountry Rock Climbing in Southern Arizona book (if granite domes are your thang), or Bloom's Castles in the Sand if you're partial to desert sandstone, and get to drooling. Inhospitable weather happens in the winter, for sure, but it's not true alpine.

If there was ANY real alpine here we'd have to zap Reno with a taser to get him to go back to work ;)

But the variety of year round rock routes and crags is quite a consolation prize, so you SHOULD be excited... unless perhaps you've been spoiled by Colorado :P

cchas

Oct 27, 2005, 9:54 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's rumors of a few mixed climbs of actually a fairly interesting grade (in the M6ish range) in the Flagstaff area (which I'm checking out later), some long routes (1000ft+ ) scattered throughout the state, but for long mixed and "alpine" if you are including mixed and ice in the equation is in SW Colorado (which depending on where in the state your are moving to isn't really that far away).

Welcome and have fun

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook