RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

xanx

Nov 9, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Crawford Notch, NH
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've heard rumors about the bouldering potential in Crawford Notch in NH that made my hands run deep with sweat.... Brett told me tales of the largest boulder field he's ever seen, and boulders too big to climb in, like 4 times the size of a house.

anyone know anything about this? all i know is he said it's like a 3.8 mile hike in and there's a cabin u can stay at for $20 a night. but i've also talked to someone who has hiked around the notch and never seen said holy boulder field...

please, i'm dying for any beta here!!

bostonclimbah

Nov 9, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Re: Crawford Notch, NH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I don't know about the specific "Holy Land" to which you are referring. However, I can say that I've hiked a lot in that area and yes, there is a$$ loads of bouldering to be found. Aside from that though, you're in a perfect spot to find tons of boulders (and I mean monsters).

If you've ever summited anything in the area, you will notice that there is a gigantic swath of exposed peaks (most of the presidentials). These are glaciated peaks or ones that were scrubbed clean as the glaciers moved over them, eons ago. The result is lots of "Glacial Erratics" otherwise known as "wicked big rocks" that were dragged down with the glaciers and deposited in the valleys. Perhaps the best example of this is the Madison Boulder in Madison, NH. Way bigger than a house... yet I almost NEVER see anyone on it.... and you can drive your car up to it. Go figure.

Grab a map and go for a walk. You won't be disappointed (even if don't find the holy land).

edge

Nov 9, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am betting that he said "Carter Notch," not "Crawford." There is bupkiss in Crawford that I have seen.

And yes, it is good olde fashioned adventure bouldering.

Brett M, right?

bostonclimbah

Nov 14, 2005, 9:16 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW, I was hiking the Boulder loop trail this weekend with my daughter. I've done this many times but never REALLY took note of the many, many bouldering opportunities. I'm sure it gets done, I've just never seen anyone there. Tons of opportunities if you're into it. Bring a lot of crash pads / spotters though. There's quite a few high balls there and certainly many opportunities for ankle injuries... or worse.

If you want to avoide the "scenic" part of the hike, start the loop in reverse. You will come upon a large boulder field in about 10-15 minutes.

Of course, IMHOP this is all somewhat of a waste with all off the great climbing to be had at the ledges looming in the background. But that's just me.

xanx

Nov 14, 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulder loop trail? where? in crawford notch? and what ledges? i know there's a boulder loop trail at sundown, is that what ur talking about?

and i looked some stuff up and it sounds like brett may have been talking about carter notch, from the pics i found that seems to have the larger boulders...

edge

Nov 15, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
FWIW, I was hiking the Boulder loop trail this weekend with my daughter. I've done this many times but never REALLY took note of the many, many bouldering opportunities. I'm sure it gets done, I've just never seen anyone there. Tons of opportunities if you're into it. Bring a lot of crash pads / spotters though. There's quite a few high balls there and certainly many opportunities for ankle injuries... or worse.

Many people boulder there, but not on a consistant basis. The prevailing ethic at Sundown for bouldering is similar to Acadia; you just show up, look around, scrub a little if you want to (stuff you are scrubbing was almost certainly scrubbed/attempted in the past), and have fun. Nothing is named, and very little is talked about.

It is great to have a few adventure areas amidst the slew of areas with guidebooks and crowds.

Having said that, I still prefer the routes there over the boulders. It is always fun though to combine both over a few days while staying at the Covered Bridge campground. Throw in a little fly fishing for the evening meal and it doesn't get much better.

tradmanclimbs

Nov 15, 2005, 2:34 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bunch of really cool boulders over in frankenstine. Problem is they haven't frozen up yet :?

bostonclimbah

Nov 15, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup. Edge pretty much summed it up.

enso

Nov 29, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may be thinking of Pawtuckaway State park, really nice bouldering feild. some pretty big stuff too

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook